Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Kia Optima EX Turbo  (Read 14546 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Kia Optima EX Turbo
« on: February 28, 2013, 06:28:29 am »

The Kia Optima EX Turbo is a striking design that also demonstrates Kia's excellent value proposition.

Read More...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Kia Optima EX Turbo
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:10:48 am »
Whit all my respect to Jay Leno, he was wrong ten years ago - KIA is the best performer in the world in terms their vehicles' overall evolution! 

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 08:56:29 am »
All that power without good steering feedback takes the fun out of the car.  Kia would do themselves well to get the chassis dynamics, suspension tuning and steering feel from the likes of Mazda.  Then it would really be the complete package.  Otherwise, the car is a stellar looker and great value.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 09:08:44 am »
Is it just me or does the red colour suck any attractiveness from the vehicle? Great looking, actually outstanding looking car, but not in this hideous colour!

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 10:24:36 am »
All that power without good steering feedback takes the fun out of the car.  Kia would do themselves well to get the chassis dynamics, suspension tuning and steering feel from the likes of Mazda.  Then it would really be the complete package.  Otherwise, the car is a stellar looker and great value.

+1

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 10:24:42 am »
Is it just me or does the red colour suck any attractiveness from the vehicle? Great looking, actually outstanding looking car, but not in this hideous colour!

That was my initial impression when I saw the pictures, too.

White, silver, or black looks much better on this car.  Good value to people whose priorities aren't driving dynamics and steering feedback.  Its value proposition is good looks and good value for the money.

If I was in the market for another family sedan today, I'd go for the Mazda 6, though.

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 10:30:40 am »
Couldn't agree more. Proper steering feel is in one sense like the solid thump you get on a solid vehicle, it gives you confidence in it. And you can feel it within 5 metres of takeoff. Wimpy, lifeless steering gives me the feeling that steering feel is an afterthought for the manufacturer, and in my driving experience good driving feel is one of the most underrated aspects of safe driving. I want to know the conditions of the road by feeling it, not just looking at it.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2111
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 10:34:27 am »
Cool car and all but being FWD those 270+ horses are being wasted. I should go try one just to see how bad the torque steer is.......and there is no mention of an LSD, crikey would that inside tire burn bright during tight cornering.
Lighten up Francis.....

Northernridge

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 11:22:10 am »
Nice car but I'll take the new V6 Honda Accord thank you.

When Honda gets it right they are still the hard act to follow.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 11:30:49 am »
I've never been one to be swayed by the 'design' or 'style' of a car...but every time I see an Optima in a parking lot or on the road, I actually can't help but give it another look - it's probably the best design Kia or Hyundai has (subjective, of course - but it swayed a long-time Korean-naysayer).

Front-drive turbos mounted transversely always seemed odd to me - the torque-steer would be quite pronounced with that much torque - I haven't driven it, so if the Author could give his thoughts on torque-steer in this car, please do!

The option packaging has always been a strong-suit IMO in Kias - very well equipped in base trims, and it doesn't make you feel like you MUST get a higher trim...but they're there if you want the options.  I always hated how Toyota (and others) made you get the top trim plus leather to get heated seats - come on, almost $28k on a Corolla LE (back in 20010) to get heated seats?  wow.

From the Article: "It is no wonder that a V6 is not available, a product planning decision that many of the companies in this segment have taken, because the added weight and expense are no longer necessary."

weight is a valid concern, but I would bet a few bucks that a V6 is still cheaper to build than a turbo 4 including its extra bits and reinforcements.  I also wonder about long-term reliability.

As for Kia's interiors - UVO is an amazing system.  It's simple to read, VERY reactive (note: eff you, Cadillac CUE), but I can understand the author's frustrations - still, we don't need 12" displays, a la Lexus, or 17" Tablets, a la Tesla Model S.

The black interior is drab and the red backlighting is the worst, physiologically-speaking, on the ability of human eyes to read them easily - well, worse only by blue that is too bright...

Fuel economy is respectable for a car this size with this much power.

The Optima goes up against a horribly crowded segment.  The likes of the Japanese have been around for a long time, which equates to great refinement.  Kia's making a GREAT car all things considered...I'd 100% take a drive if I were looking for a mid-size sedan...and I'd actually consider buying (err, leasing) this with its value proposition and great styling.

Offline Ravenorxs

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2002 Suzuki Aerio, 2007 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 11:46:03 am »
To get the sport suspension and 18-inch wheels with bigger tires, one must step up (to the tune of almost $5,000) to the top-of-the-line SX model.

Actually, there are two variants of the 18 inch wheels. One is on the SX model, but the EX luxury also has a different set of 18 inch wheels and that trim starts at $30,895.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +168/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 01:22:06 pm »
Kia had a base, silver LX / automatic at the Montreal auto show, and for a 20k$ car (after incentives) it looks oh-so-good, inside and out.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 02:27:49 pm »
Cool car and all but being FWD those 270+ horses are being wasted. I should go try one just to see how bad the torque steer is.......and there is no mention of an LSD, crikey would that inside tire burn bright during tight cornering.
i've never driven the Kia Optiman Turbo, but have driven the Sonata Turbo (so it should be the same in this regard)...torque steer was negligible at best (i didn't even notice it at all, but i suppose there may have been a hint of it)...Jaeger can likely attest to this since he owns one as well.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 02:37:51 pm »

:iagree: 100%. Anything over 220 hp is useless as the electo nannies will retard power to combat torque steer. Unless the car is equipped with a front suspension with significantly reduced camber change then don't bother.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 02:40:32 pm »
Those electronics dont help, they just mask the problem though. Kind of like the Mazdaspeed 3 limiting its power in 1st gear.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 03:30:08 pm »
Still waiting for Kia/Hyundai to put a 4 door body on the Genesis Coupe RWD chassis and make a budget 3 series fighter.

I've not driven the Optima Turbo but had a regular Optima for a week for a rental and I would describe the steering feel as ..for lack of a better word"weird". Its springy and video game like. I understand the idea of the Turbo in a non sporty chassis. Its for the people who want a bit more grunt. I find the base engine perfectly fine and quite economical thanks to the long top gear keeping the revs down.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 03:37:59 pm »
Still waiting for Kia/Hyundai to put a 4 door body on the Genesis Coupe RWD chassis and make a budget 3 series fighter.

I've not driven the Optima Turbo but had a regular Optima for a week for a rental and I would describe the steering feel as ..for lack of a better word"weird". Its springy and video game like. I understand the idea of the Turbo in a non sporty chassis. Its for the people who want a bit more grunt. I find the base engine perfectly fine and quite economical thanks to the long top gear keeping the revs down.

:rofl2: :rofl2: As big of a problem as people around here have with the ATS....can you imagine if a brand as peasant-ish (not to me, I like them, but compared to their precious Bayerische Motoren Werke) as Hyundai brought to the market a competitor to their precious 3 series......oh sweet jesus that would be funny.  ;D

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 03:51:18 pm »

:rofl2: :rofl2: As big of a problem as people around here have with the ATS....can you imagine if a brand as peasant-ish (not to me, I like them, but compared to their precious Bayerische Motoren Werke) as Hyundai brought to the market a competitor to their precious 3 series......oh sweet jesus that would be funny.  ;D

yeah I know. I don't really think anyone would cross shop it. There just isn't a lot of demand for RWD sport sedans in the lower price ranges. But I think it would be nice to have a choice other than 40 K BMW, Lexus IS or Cadillac.  I just think about how in demand those old Lexus IS 300 with the RWD and inline 6 are.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 03:58:53 pm »
Thats because no one has ever given us the option. A RWD sedan at about the Genesis Coupes price level would do well.....I cant afford an ATS or a CTS-V....but a $30K rwd, turbo sedan, I could sell that to the wife no problem. Especially since it has a long warranty.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 05:45:05 pm »
Thats because no one has ever given us the option. A RWD sedan at about the Genesis Coupes price level would do well.....I cant afford an ATS or a CTS-V....but a $30K rwd, turbo sedan, I could sell that to the wife no problem. Especially since it has a long warranty.

Agreed.