Author Topic: Long-Term Wrap-Up: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Touring  (Read 16661 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Long-Term Wrap-Up: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Touring
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 06:24:52 pm »
If AWD is so much better, then why do I see so many SUV's in the ditch during snow storms.  I'd say it's a false sense of security.  Any vehicle will lose it's grip if it's pushed hard enough in the snow, slush or even rain.  Drive for the conditions and snow tires are all one needs to navigate through the winter, which only last about 3 months these days.  If it's a blizzard out there, like it is here right now, the police ask everyone to stay off the roads anyway.  The rest of the year one doesn't have to carry around the extra weight and higher fuel consumption of an AWD/4x4.

Well yeah, if you push a FWD it will go out of control much faster than a comparable AWD/4X4. Driven properly an AWD vehicle will be more stable, corner more securely, accelerate faster, be able to use engine braking more effectively. I dont know, living in a snowy climate, I wouldnt have less than one vehicle in the household thats AWD/4x4. If I want to go out for some reason after a bad storm, my truck will get me there. Also, this whole business about seeing SUV and trucks in the ditch all the time when its slippery out, thats just simple minded, moronic drivers. Most of the mouth breathers Ive seen go off when its bad along hwy could be equipped with the best tires know to modern man and they would still go off because of their lack of driving skill and inability to judge the conditions.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 12:45:04 am »
we had an 80 and 30 car pile up on the 401 about 2 weeks ago...the OPP were pissed off, because people were driving down the highway, at regular speeds (100 km/hr +), with near zero visibility, then slamming into the original accident (hence 30 and 80 car messes)...you can't fix stupid.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Long-Term Wrap-Up: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Touring
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 03:56:42 am »
By the ditched car counting logic you could also say that Corvettes are really good in the snow because you never see them in the ditch.  ;D
yikes...freezing temps and fibreglass bodies are not a good mix.

It's not fiber glass. We did the molds for the C6, and the process is called RIM molding. Much different.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 04:00:17 am »
If AWD is so much better, then why do I see so many SUV's in the ditch during snow storms.  I'd say it's a false sense of security.  Any vehicle will lose it's grip if it's pushed hard enough in the snow, slush or even rain.  Drive for the conditions and snow tires are all one needs to navigate through the winter, which only last about 3 months these days.  If it's a blizzard out there, like it is here right now, the police ask everyone to stay off the roads anyway.  The rest of the year one doesn't have to carry around the extra weight and higher fuel consumption of an AWD/4x4.

Well yeah, if you push a FWD it will go out of control much faster than a comparable AWD/4X4. Driven properly an AWD vehicle will be more stable, corner more securely, accelerate faster, be able to use engine braking more effectively. I dont know, living in a snowy climate, I wouldnt have less than one vehicle in the household thats AWD/4x4. If I want to go out for some reason after a bad storm, my truck will get me there. Also, this whole business about seeing SUV and trucks in the ditch all the time when its slippery out, thats just simple minded, moronic drivers. Most of the mouth breathers Ive seen go off when its bad along hwy could be equipped with the best tires know to modern man and they would still go off because of their lack of driving skill and inability to judge the conditions.

I get along fine with FWD and RWD. Snow was so deep the under carriage was dragging in it. Still go through. For me not to get through, it would have to be a dramatic snowfall. And those happen every few years only.

Not sure the expense of awd is worth it to some people. I suspect people will less driving skill need awd as crutch. :))

Fobroader, you get the same amount of snow I get here.  :-)  What do you need 4x4 for?  :))

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 04:06:17 am »

I get along fine with FWD and RWD. Snow was so deep the under carriage was dragging in it. Still go through. For me not to get through, it would have to be a dramatic snowfall. And those happen every few years only.

Not sure the expense of awd is worth it to some people. I suspect people will less driving skill need awd as crutch. :))

Fobroader, you get the same amount of snow I get here.  :-)  What do you need 4x4 for?  :))

Unplowed backroads, pulling my trailer in and out of muddy campsites, avoiding out of control 2wd vehicles on icy roads, pulling 2wd vehicles out of ditches and drifts.....I dont know, I guess a bit of extra fuel cost to me is worth the extra control.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 08:04:03 am »

Unplowed backroads, pulling my trailer in and out of muddy campsites, avoiding out of control 2wd vehicles on icy roads, pulling 2wd vehicles out of ditches and drifts.....I dont know, I guess a bit of extra fuel cost to me is worth the extra control.

Cost of a 4x4 is not the much more in a truck
It is hard to find a truck that is not basic without 4x4
Resale value of a truck without 4x4 is crap

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 12:12:26 pm »
It's not fiber glass. We did the molds for the C6, and the process is called RIM molding. Much different.
ok, so it's plastic instead of fibreglass (they used to be fibreglass)...any issues with it being brittle when cold for that material?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:59:30 pm by dirtyjeffer »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 12:15:05 pm »
Not really, no. Not more so than any other.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 02:39:21 pm »

Because that's what you're looking for. I've seen a sorts of of vehicles in the ditch and but it's funny how people only notice the 4wd ones.

I agree you don't "need" 4wd or AWD but it sure can be nice to have.  I don't need stability control or ABS either but I won't argue that they are useful safety features.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 06:56:46 pm »
:iagree: I can't help but wonder if the naysayers with regards to AWD are just people who have never had the pleasure of driving one often in miserable conditions.

When I had a WRX I actually looked forward to winter storms because it was just fun to drive in the snow. I don't think I'd feel the same about any FWD/RWD car.

All well and good. But in the 99% of the time when you don't need AWD, you're stuck driving a Subaru. Seems a high price to pay.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 06:59:08 pm »
^^Oldsguy....I agree, and that's sorta what I was getting at.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2013, 01:23:37 am »
:iagree: I can't help but wonder if the naysayers with regards to AWD are just people who have never had the pleasure of driving one often in miserable conditions.

When I had a WRX I actually looked forward to winter storms because it was just fun to drive in the snow. I don't think I'd feel the same about any FWD/RWD car.

All well and good. But in the 99% of the time when you don't need AWD, you're stuck driving a Subaru. Seems a high price to pay.

Got my first car in 1979, driven more cars then I can care to count at the moment.  My Subaru is one of the cars that I remember with the best memories.  Even when I didn't need the 4WD I never felt I was "stuck" driving a  Subaru.

Can't say the same about most other brands. 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 06:34:37 am »

Damn, I never realized I was "stuck" driving a Subaru, or my Audi for that matter.   Oh woe is me, the horror, the horror.   

Geez, it's not like if you add AWD you must ride on a wooden bench seat or give up your first born.
Do tell me what is the huge downside to AWD you speak of?  I've been driving them for about 15 years and don't want anything else in the winter, why should I give it up because it's not needed every day?  I don't need AC every day, but it's still nice to have.
Mr Pickypants

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 09:12:10 am »
If AWD is so much better, then why do I see so many SUV's in the ditch during snow storms. 

1. Probably because S/CUVs make up a greater proportion of vehicles on the road: the more there are the more you will see. Your observation is akin to saying, "I never see motorcyles in the ditch during the winter; ergo they must be the best winter vehicles."

2. How do you know ALL of those S/CUVs are optioned with AWD?

3. The observation is moot is anyways: AWD doesn't significantly change your ability to keep out of ditch. It helps in traction. People are in the ditch because they were driving too fast for conditions, no matter what car, powertrain or kind of tires they have on. Short of a hovercraft or teleporters, no technology will change improper driving decisions/behaviours.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 09:41:37 am »

As a Forester owner I have to agree with Oldsguy based on where you live. The climate has changed so much in the GTA that I can seldom justify a full time AWD system and the added weight, complexity and fuel costs. A good set of winter tire where I live does me fine as proven recently with our latest snow dumping.

If I lived in the country or in a snow belt, my view would be entirely different.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2013, 12:51:57 pm »
so the CrossTrek is rated to tow 1500lbs.
being one issue is power on the highway, can anyone see this vehicle actually towing 1500lbs?
I can't imagine it handling it very well in hills or bad winds.

The concept is fantastic, they should have given this car maybe another 10-15 HP

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2013, 12:56:01 pm »
so the CrossTrek is rated to tow 1500lbs.

But not in Canada!

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2013, 12:59:06 pm »

I certainly don't feel like I'm 'stuck' driving my Forester...
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2013, 01:44:24 pm »
:iagree:

Damn, I never realized I was "stuck" driving a Subaru, or my Audi for that matter.   Oh woe is me, the horror, the horror.   

Geez, it's  like if you add AWD you must ride on a wooden bench seat ,and give up your first born.
Do tell me what is the huge downside to AWD you speak of?  I've been driving them for about 15 years and don't want anything else in the winter, why should I give it up because it's not needed every day?  I don't need AC every day, but it's still nice to have.

are the wooden seats HEATED, and do they accept UGLY first borns....!!??? :think: >:D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent