Author Topic: First Drive: 2012 Chevrolet Volt  (Read 23935 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2012 Chevrolet Volt
« on: June 28, 2011, 04:06:13 am »

Ignore the rumours, the naysayers, and the pessimists, says Jil McIntosh: in real-world driving, the Volt is the real deal.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2012 Chevrolet Volt
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 06:44:20 am »
Jill's is the second extremely positive Volt review I've read recently and it looks as though GM has done something brilliant.

The Volt is also a hatchback which improves its appeal tremendously.  I'd like to see a comparo between the Volt and a plug-in Prius.  I'm not sure the Prius has as much range as the Volt but it would be interesting to see how the two different approaches perform.

The Volt recharge time indicates a battery capacity of around 15kW hours similar to the Mitsubishi but the Mits has a bigger range probably due to its smaller size and weight.  Price appears to be similar though.

I think all hybrids should have plug in capability and although it would mean more battery, even 4kw hrs would improve flexibility tremendously.

And in a lifetime first for me - Good going GM!

Cheers,
John M.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 07:18:14 am »
I've heard some negative things from the owners down in the states.  I've heard that the electric range is much shorter and the gas engine seems to be on way more than GM claimed.  In the end they say it's not as fuel efficient as they had hoped.  For the gas engine to get 37 mpg in the article that to me sounds awefully high considering how small the engine is and the fact that it should be revving too high.  I think the Nissan Leaf would be a better choice if you have a second vehicle that runs on liquid fuel.  The range on that one seems to be a lot closer to what Nissan claims.

I too am looking forward to the Prius Plug-in Hybrid.  I'm thinking it will out perform the Volt and reclaim the Hybrid/electric crown.  I think the big difference is that the Prius will basically be the same as the old one with extra batteries and a plug in to recharge them.  Meaning the gas engine will work the wheels also.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 07:25:44 am »
So it appears GM has done something right with this new Volt.  If I were heading down this highway I would have to consider this long and hard. Best of both worlds really with a car that can run on battery only or gas for those extended trips. That makes sense and takes away the issue of range anxiety that many are afraid of.

Once the new Prius comes out a head to head challenge will be interesting. For now I'll give GM their due - the Volt appears to be one very good package.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 08:14:16 am »
The Volt is designed for Americans or those living the American lifestyle in the suburbs.  It was meant to produce stellar results in the sub-80km round trip category which it seems to do. 

On longer trips it can't be as efficient since the gas engine mostly runs the electric generator rather than powering the wheels directly.  I'd guess at a minimum of 20% loss here.

The car makers are increasingly producing horses for courses rather than jacks of all trades.  Using the best tool is always the key to efficiency.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 08:35:59 am »
Give me a Prius any time over this...too expensive and doesn't accomplish what it was promised...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 08:48:46 am »
..it isn't easy being green after U remove the batteries............ ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 08:56:23 am »
I've heard some negative things from the owners down in the states.  I've heard that the electric range is much shorter and the gas engine seems to be on way more than GM claimed.  In the end they say it's not as fuel efficient as they had hoped.  For the gas engine to get 37 mpg in the article that to me sounds awefully high considering how small the engine is and the fact that it should be revving too high.  I think the Nissan Leaf would be a better choice if you have a second vehicle that runs on liquid fuel.  The range on that one seems to be a lot closer to what Nissan claims.

I too am looking forward to the Prius Plug-in Hybrid.  I'm thinking it will out perform the Volt and reclaim the Hybrid/electric crown.  I think the big difference is that the Prius will basically be the same as the old one with extra batteries and a plug in to recharge them.  Meaning the gas engine will work the wheels also.

I would like to see where you got your information from.  There is an independent volt forum gm-volt.com. There I have only heard stories of the Volt exceding expectations.  The worst all electric ranges I have heard have been in the low 40km's which was in -20C weather and in heavy snow and is as promissed by GM.  In regular driving the Volt seems to deliver 70Km electric range with ease. Hypermilers have got higher than 90km's all electric range.  And many owners are reporting gas mileage in the low 40's US mpg.  Which exceeds the US EPA 37mpg.

This vehicle is 3800lbs and is nearly as heavy as my minivan.  The fact that GM can deliver 40 US mpg out of this car is freaking impressive.  No other car of this weight can come even close to delivering this type of fuel economy.  And they developed the car in 4 years which is also extreamly impressive as a normal car typically takes 6 years to develop.

This car is expensive.  It is a first generation and full of a lot of first technologies (oled screens, touch buttons ... and a heck of lot more).  But the battery technology is moving fast.  GM has stated that they are targeting a cost reduction with out loss functionallity of US $10,000 for the second generation (targeted for 2015).  And GM has stated that they are ahead of schedual for this target. [They have found a new cathode material for the battery which increases capacity by 30% and reduces cost] This will allow GM to make the battery smaller and lighter and will make the car cheaper and more efficient.  GM is also currently buying the electric motors from a non-automotive supplier.  GM has stated they can build better more efficient less expensive electric motors themselves and have started the process to do just that.

With time to design and build dedicated components for the Volt (vs current off the shelf) and a second generation due around 2015.  It's only going to get a lot better.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:02:15 am by Neromanceres »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 09:00:04 am »
if above is true why not wait the three years and save a bundle($10K u say)on a boondoggle that robs taxpayers of an additional $7,500 per vehicle...... :think: :banghead: :light:...

by the way there is another thread showing a tester running a Volt in Seattle this Summer....sunny day pics   he got 40Miles before engine kicked in

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 09:02:52 am »
if above is true why not wait the three years and save a bundle($10K u say)on a boondoggle that robs taxpayers of an additional $7,500 per vehicle...... :think: :banghead: :light:...

by the way there is another thread showing a tester running a Volt in Seattle this Summer....sunny day pics   he got 40Miles before engine kicked in

Damn, my commutes is ~37KM.  With a 40 mile range I could almost make it to work and back. 

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 09:04:21 am »
I've heard that the electric range is much shorter and the gas engine seems to be on way more than GM claimed.  In the end they say it's not as fuel efficient as they had hoped. 

Don't forget what Jil got in Toronto:
"With the air conditioning on, and with some lead-foot driving to test the response, my battery ran out after 55 km".

That's not bad in my books with the current field of players.

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 09:04:34 am »

Because the tax credit will be gone then.  Some people want an electric car with no comprimises they don't want to buy a second vehicle like they would with the leaf.  If you look at the demographic of people buying Volts in the US the number one cars being traded in are BMW's and Audi's.  GM put a lot of higher end features in this car to help justify the price.  The next generation will likely start with a lower base model to reduce the cost.

Like any technology today do you buy now or wait for the next great thing.  In 4 years there will be another better Volt comming down the road.  If you are waiting for the next great technology then you are always waiting.  People are buying the Volt/Ampera today because there is nothing else like it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:10:02 am by Neromanceres »

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 09:09:09 am »

I would like to see where you got your information from.  There is an independent volt forum gm-volt.com. There I have only heard stories of the Volt exceding expectations.  The worst all electric ranges I have heard have been in the low 40km's which was in -20C weather and in heavy snow and is as promissed by GM.  In regular driving the Volt seems to deliver 70Km electric range with ease. Hypermilers have got higher than 90km's all electric range.  And many owners are reporting gas mileage in the low 40's US mpg.  Which exceeds the US EPA 37mpg.

This vehicle is 3800lbs and is nearly as heavy as my minivan.  The fact that GM can deliver 40 US mpg out of this car is freaking impressive.  No other car of this weight can come even close to delivering this type of fuel economy.  And they developed the car in 4 years which is also extreamly impressive as a normal car typically takes 6 years to develop.

This car is expensive.  It is a first generation and full of a lot of first technologies (oled screens, touch buttons ... and a heck of lot more).  But the battery technology is moving fast.  GM has stated that they are targeting a cost reduction with out loss functionallity of US $10,000 for the second generation (targeted for 2015).  And GM has stated that they are ahead of schedual for this target. [They have found a new cathode material for the battery which increases capacity by 30% and reduces cost] This will allow GM to make the battery smaller and lighter and will make the car cheaper and more efficient.  GM is also currently buying the electric motors from a non-automotive supplier.  GM has stated they can build better more efficient less expensive electric motors themselves and have started the process to do just that.

With time to design and build dedicated components for the Volt (vs current off the shelf) and a second generation due around 2015.  It's only going to get a lot better.

I think he is confusing the Volt with the Leaf. The Leaf has had all kinds of issues with the range indicator acting up. Having the mileage drop much more quickly than one would think from the distance travelled, and there have been numerous instances in the US of it showing adequate range to get to their destination, and then having the car run short well before getting there. Everything I have heard has shown the Volt to be dead accurate.

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 09:14:07 am »
talk to me in February.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 09:47:30 am »
Jills thoughts on the Volt pretty well echo mine. This is a great little car. Drives well. Smooth and torquey. Quiet. Well put together of good materials.

Oh course, we have both been paid off by the folks at GM.....

As an aside, the Inside Line folks just got a new electric range record with their Volt of 54 miles. Right around 90km. Not bad!

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 09:58:36 am »
Another great article Jil!

I'm looking forward to driving the Volt. It seems to be an extremely well thought out engineering wise, but I don't love the packaging (the Leaf may be dorky, but is more comfortable inside for someone my size). Still, it's one hellava great first attempt and eliminating the 'range anxiety' should really increase the consideration rates. If positive feedback about range continues through the winter (which it should with liquid battery management - although not sure if that only cools or helps to maintain more ambient temperature) even the naysayers should pay some level of respect to GM for bringing Volt to market.

Also like the Cut Grass interior of the tester with the dark centre stack. It'd be my interior choice.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:01:29 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 10:04:22 am »
At $33k plus taxes  I think I'd do better by buying a loaded Focus hatch or a  basic Golf diesel. As I only keep my cars for 5 years and do low mileage ( 16000km/year) I don't see the economics of the Volt  for me.   
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 10:24:40 am »
Another great article Jil!

I'm looking forward to driving the Volt. It seems to be an extremely well thought out engineering wise, but I don't love the packaging (the Leaf may be dorky, but is more comfortable inside for someone my size). Still, it's one hellava great first attempt and eliminating the 'range anxiety' should really increase the consideration rates. If positive feedback about range continues through the winter (which it should with liquid battery management - although not sure if that only cools or helps to maintain more ambient temperature) even the naysayers should pay some level of respect to GM for bringing Volt to market.

Also like the Cut Grass interior of the tester with the dark centre stack. It'd be my interior choice.

Haven't been in the Leaf, but the Volt certainly held my 6'4, 230 lbs frame very comfortably. I didn't try the back seat (don't ride in the back seat of my own car, so I don't much care :) ), but up front I had TONS of space!

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 10:27:48 am »
55 kms gets me to work and back, with a little leeway to run some errands on the way home.

$41 000s though.  Sheesh.  Too rich for my blood!  And as far as I'm aware, Manitoba isn't offering any rebates, either.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 10:28:51 am »
Give me a Prius any time over this...too expensive and doesn't accomplish what it was promised...

What exactly doesn't it accomplish?