Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Volkswagen Golf Wagon Sportline  (Read 12731 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Volkswagen Golf Wagon Sportline
« on: March 06, 2013, 06:29:09 am »

As a family car, it's not perfect ' but if you're a driver who likes a touch of performance while ferrying the kids about, it's a contender.

Read More...

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Volkswagen Golf Wagon Sportline
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 09:09:14 am »
 Gawd..what a load...And those wheels!  My eyes!  All this and the boat anchor 5 cylinder engine, to boot...and for a mere 31 grand...Geezuz
                                    Jack

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 09:37:15 am »
Not the best "Test Drive" I've read lately   ::)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 10:16:24 am »
Another Golf Wagon Test Drive... Was hoping for a used car review, since the new one will be coming next year...Hopefully that inefficient inline 5 cylinder will be gone.  Not very good fuel economy, getting over 10L in the city with winter tires? And weather?  I average under 8.5L mixed in my Mazda5, when mostly city, about 9L with the same tires, continental wintertracs. 

I considered the VW, but like the author noted, the loading and unloading of the babies is a pain.  And the Sportline is $5000 more expensive than the Mazda5 GT when both equipped with manual.

The author mentions that manuals get better fuel economy?  In this case?  or does he mean always, if used why does the EPA and Natural Resource Canada observe automatics and CVTs getting better than manuals? 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 10:24:35 am »
Auto vs manual as far as fuel economy is pretty murky now. The CVT in my CrossTrek is rated about 10% better than the manual according to the EPA.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Northernridge

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 10:30:31 am »
Auto vs manual as far as fuel economy is pretty murky now. The CVT in my CrossTrek is rated about 10% better than the manual according to the EPA.

What is your impression of the CVT transmission? I ask because I'm a little suspicious about the seemingly prevailing criticism of CVTs.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 10:32:42 am »

What is your impression of the CVT transmission? I ask because I'm a little suspicious about the seemingly prevailing criticism of CVTs.

It's not for enthusiasts. It's perfectly adequate for some vehicles; my parents had a Camry Hybrid with the CVT for a few years. I used it quite a bit and it was just fine. Personally though, I can't stand the one on the CrossTrek. It's a nice enough car with the manual; I really do like it a lot, but the CVT is just horrendous. I'd gladly pony up a few extra bucks for gas rather than have to deal with the CVT every day.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:49:30 am »
Cue the rant:

Do you recall Toyota’s recall woes late last decade? One of the issues was floor mats sliding forward and jamming the brake.1

...Most manufacturers have solved this issue by anchoring floor mats with a hook or two. But if you don’t re-attach it after cleaning, or if it somehow comes loose from its moorings, it could still slide up and jam the brake. Not good. The underside of Volkswagen’s floor mats are a thick, toothy Velcro. Instead of one or two hooks they functionally contain hundreds.

First, the Toyota recall was stupid - not only was there a VERY simple solution if your car did run away (i.e. neutral then brake?  turn off the engine (though you'd lose power steering/brakes?), but it was because some tool in California put winter mats from an Lexus RX into a Lexus ES ON TOP of the carpet mats.  Stupidity.

Secondly, Lexus also has 4 hooks in each corner to hold the mat in place, and those hooks work very well.  Beyond that, each mat I've seen (assuming you buy from the Toyota/Lexus dealer) has 'teeth' spaced a few mm apart along the entire bottom. 

You don't need bloody velcro, you don't need to recount the Toyota recall that was just a PR nightmare and not actually a safety concern, and you don't need to highlight it as a 'safety' feature.  I bet this velcro doesn't come with the rubberized all-weather mats anyway.

/end rant.

VWs suffer from a complex where they believe they can charge huge premiums over their competing vehicles because they think they're better.  This review gives an example of a demonstration that they're not.  I cross-shopped the Tiguan when I got the Forester, and they're far from equal in any way.  Sure, the Tiguan had nice, German handling...but the Forester beat it in every other way and came in $7,000 cheaper.

When helping my dad choose his Corolla, we wanted to love the Jetta TDI, but at $8k more than the Corolla for a Trendline with no driver's armrest or centre console...it's absurd.

Especially with its cheap interiors, VW needs to rethink its pricing strategy.

I've always, ALWAYS loved the Golf TDI sportwagon as a way better alternative to CUVs...but the price, lack of AWD, and crappy interiors will keep VWs far from the front of my mind until those issues are rectified.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:53:31 am »
Cue the rant:

First, the Toyota recall was stupid - not only was there a VERY simple solution if your car did run away (i.e. neutral then brake?  turn off the engine (though you'd lose power steering/brakes?), but it was because some tool in California put winter mats from an Lexus RX into a Lexus ES ON TOP of the carpet mats.  Stupidity.
yes...just as stupid as the last big scandal, the Firestone Tire/Ford Explorer debacle...the problem was less about the tires and more about the morons who drove the vehicles.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 11:02:13 am »

I find it ok. The extra sound deadening muffles the noise of the CVT pretty well. What I hated about some of the CVT applications (Caliber, Versa for example) was the droning/booming sound that would resonate through the cabin. The engine is still a boxer 4, so you do get that noise coming through under acceleration, but you get that regardless of which transmission is backing it up. There is still some rubber band effect, but it's much better than some CVTs. Once up to speed, it's pretty unobtrusive.

It's not as satisfying to drive as the manual, but this was an exercise in maximising efficiency, so we were willing to accept the trade-offs.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 11:20:30 am »
Cue the rant:

Do you recall Toyota’s recall woes late last decade? One of the issues was floor mats sliding forward and jamming the brake.1

...Most manufacturers have solved this issue by anchoring floor mats with a hook or two. But if you don’t re-attach it after cleaning, or if it somehow comes loose from its moorings, it could still slide up and jam the brake. Not good. The underside of Volkswagen’s floor mats are a thick, toothy Velcro. Instead of one or two hooks they functionally contain hundreds.

Secondly, Lexus also has 4 hooks in each corner to hold the mat in place, and those hooks work very well.  Beyond that, each mat I've seen (assuming you buy from the Toyota/Lexus dealer) has 'teeth' spaced a few mm apart along the entire bottom. 

You don't need bloody velcro, you don't need to recount the Toyota recall that was just a PR nightmare and not actually a safety concern, and you don't need to highlight it as a 'safety' feature.  I bet this velcro doesn't come with the rubberized all-weather mats anyway.

/end rant.

VWs suffer from a complex where they believe they can charge huge premiums over their competing vehicles because they think they're better.  This review gives an example of a demonstration that they're not.  I cross-shopped the Tiguan when I got the Forester, and they're far from equal in any way.  Sure, the Tiguan had nice, German handling...but the Forester beat it in every other way and came in $7,000 cheaper.

When helping my dad choose his Corolla, we wanted to love the Jetta TDI, but at $8k more than the Corolla for a Trendline with no driver's armrest or centre console...it's absurd.

I've always, ALWAYS loved the Golf TDI sportwagon as a way better alternative to CUVs...but the price, lack of AWD, and crappy interiors will keep VWs far from the front of my mind until those issues are rectified.

I don't even know where to start.  No one cross shops a Toyota Corolla and VW Jetta TDI.  Umm, yes there are about $8k differenace when comparing the most expensive TDI trim, to the least expensive Corolla CE, with a shitty 4 speed tranny, and wind up windows!  A corolla is for somebody who doesn't care about driving, VW is the exact oppposite.  And I am not sure what your smoking, about VW/Audi makes some of the best interiors out there.  Currently, they are not the most trendy, but they have good materials, and you don't have to take your eyes off the road to use any buttons or switches.  Interiors on Toyotas have gone hill with every new car.  Compare the interior of the old Highlander to the new one, the old Camry to new one, the old corolla, wait to the same old corolla.  Can the interior of a Subaru be any more gray and boring?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 11:39:49 am »
I don't even know where to start.  No one cross shops a Toyota Corolla and VW Jetta TDI.  Umm, yes there are about $8k differenace when comparing the most expensive TDI trim, to the least expensive Corolla CE, with a shitty 4 speed tranny, and wind up windows!  A corolla is for somebody who doesn't care about driving, VW is the exact oppposite.  And I am not sure what your smoking, about VW/Audi makes some of the best interiors out there.  Currently, they are not the most trendy, but they have good materials, and you don't have to take your eyes off the road to use any buttons or switches.  Interiors on Toyotas have gone hill with every new car.  Compare the interior of the old Highlander to the new one, the old Camry to new one, the old corolla, wait to the same old corolla.  Can the interior of a Subaru be any more gray and boring?

I was referring to my own experience - so who cross-shops them?  Well, my father and I did, for one...and since they're both compact econoboxes, why wouldn't they be cross-shopped?  The TDI promises better mileage, but at a price premium that would pay off in about 7 years.

As for pricing, 2010 Corolla CE with enhanced Convenience Package $19,500 with $2,000 cash incentive plus dealer discount (about the same as we got for the Jetta).  2009 Volkswagen TDI TRENDline (NOT highline) was $24,275 with no incentives, so about $7k more plus taxes.  Excuse me for rounding the price and not including every cent of the transaction when discussing.

The Jetta's interior was equally all plastic as the Corolla's, but the price wasn't justifiable.  I never mentioned Audi, so why bring it up?  VW's small car interiors are commonly abhorred. 

As for my Forester's interior?  It's 2-toned, so not just grey :P  and it's well put together, no rattles, logical and easy to use, and perfectly comfortable.  Then again, it was $35k instead of the $20k Corolla.  You get what you pay for.  As for boring, that's subjective - I find the interior a great place to be because it helps me focus on the great driving experience.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 12:02:35 pm »
Cue the rant:

/end rant.

I don't even know where to start.  No one cross shops a Toyota Corolla and VW Jetta TDI
.  Umm, yes there are about $8k differenace when comparing the most expensive TDI trim, to the least expensive Corolla CE, with a shitty 4 speed tranny, and wind up windows!  A corolla is for somebody who doesn't care about driving, VW is the exact oppposite.  And I am not sure what your smoking, about VW/Audi makes some of the best interiors out there.  Currently, they are not the most trendy, but they have good materials, and you don't have to take your eyes off the road to use any buttons or switches.  Interiors on Toyotas have gone hill with every new car.  Compare the interior of the old Highlander to the new one, the old Camry to new one, the old corolla, wait to the same old corolla.  Can the interior of a Subaru be any more gray and boring?
People cross shop everything
I shopped a Pruis and a Jetta wagon, Escape Hydrid, Jetta came last
Pruis came first

Offline CountOfGamble

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-12
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 12:21:39 pm »
Certainly not Serbian language on the MFD. More like Czech. I also never understood how hatchback can be a competition for a wagon. Hyundai Elantra GT, Ford Focus and Kia Forte5 are all hatchback Golf competitors. Mazda 5 is a mini MPV not a wagon. Wagon's closest rival in terms of price and size is Subaru Outback.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 02:02:47 pm »
NoTo:"As for pricing, 2010 Corolla CE with enhanced Convenience Package $19,500 with $2,000 cash incentive plus dealer discount (about the same as we got for the Jetta).  2009 Volkswagen TDI TRENDline (NOT highline) was $24,275 with no incentives, so about $7k more plus taxes.  Excuse me for rounding the price and not including every cent of the transaction when discussing."
- Hmm, looks like you got all wrong in your post. 2009 Jetta is not an econobox in any way. And is not the same model as the current one. The new one not as good as old one interior wise.  2009 Jetta interior is few steps above Corolla. And comparing TDI engine with Corolla's gas one is strange at best. TDI is a premium engine. Period. Hence 7K$ difference is totally justifiable.
My impression is that you try to make things up. You can stay with your craptastik Forester interior. But don't try to discredit a decent car, please. Especially comparing with a "true" econobox as Corolla.
Bombastic

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 03:13:14 pm »
How safe during and after the crash is the Crash Response System? how autonomous is it? Does it work using the main battery? Something very scary about this "safety" feature...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 03:23:20 pm »
Again me. A poster just above writes: "And comparing TDI engine with Corolla's gas one is strange at best. TDI is a premium engine." But her isn't a period. Corolla with its archaic design still has one very competetive engine in terms reliability and fuel efficiency. Years and years it even was the  most efficient engine in the whole compact class. Right, TDI is better. But comparing with its natural enemies from Europe/Japan, there are even better diesels in terms gas mileage. Not in North America. I'm agree about the "premium" tag for TDI, but it corresponds only to the price of this overpriced and without competition big compact wagon. Besides, the las Consumer Reports put VW at the very last position with more than 250 problems at 100 cars. Think about!

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 04:09:30 pm »
As a Golf wagon owner, I noted a couple of mistaken comments in the article: 

The rear seat does fold perfectly flat if one removes the head rests (admittedly a pain), lift the rear seat cushion with the pull tab provided and drop the seat back down. 

With reference to the comment that 13 year olds will eat their knees sitting in the rear seat, I am 6'2" and can sit behind the driver's seat without my knees touching and with the front seat set in my preferred driving position, which is nearly all the way back and set at mid range height.  And there is plenty of foot space under the front seat even with it set at the lowest position.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 04:12:29 pm »
, I am 6'2" and can sit behind the driver's seat without my knees touching and with the front seat set in my preferred driving position, which is nearly all the way back and set at mid range height.  And there is plenty of foot space under the front seat even with it set at the lowest position.
I could not do that in the Jetta wagon I tried

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 04:24:55 pm »
, I am 6'2" and can sit behind the driver's seat without my knees touching and with the front seat set in my preferred driving position, which is nearly all the way back and set at mid range height.  And there is plenty of foot space under the front seat even with it set at the lowest position.
I could not do that in the Jetta wagon I tried

Perhaps you had the front seat all the way back, behind which my knees do touch the seatback as well.  But with so much front seat travel, I find it too much of an arm and leg stretch if I put the seat all the back and thus can sit "behind myself".