Author Topic: FCA being investigated for U.S. Sales reporting  (Read 1524 times)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
FCA being investigated for U.S. Sales reporting
« on: July 18, 2016, 11:24:06 pm »
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is at the center of an investigation led y the FBI and U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) regarding the automaker’s U.S. sales reporting practices. The agencies visited the offices and homes of certain FCA field staff earlier this month, Automotive News reports.

The probe is said to still be in its early stages, two unnamed sources close to the issue told Bloomberg. The sources, who declined to elaborate on what was being investigated, asked to remain anonymous because the issue is said to be confidential. In addition to the automakers Auburn Hills headquarters, federal staff attorneys visited locations in Orlando, Dallas, and California linked to current and former employees.

More: http://www.motortrend.com/news/fca-investigated-u-s-sales-reporting/

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: FCA being investigated for U.S. Sales reporting
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 02:19:51 pm »
meh...

i assume it's just about the punched cars... whatever. it's misleading for sales numbers, but who cares? a sold car is still sold, even if it's to the dealer... you could say the board members or something care, but why? it's still sold, they get paid, and the numbers show on the sales charts...

dealers are the only ones one the "hook" as it were, and it is their choice (usually) to punch the cars... if the deal makes sense, then do it... the customer who eventually buys the now used car, will get a heck of a deal, the dealership hits targets, the bosses get raises, and the cars still go on the road eventually...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 07:41:49 pm »
meh...

i assume it's just about the punched cars... whatever. it's misleading for sales numbers, but who cares? a sold car is still sold, even if it's to the dealer... you could say the board members or something care, but why? it's still sold, they get paid, and the numbers show on the sales charts...

dealers are the only ones one the "hook" as it were, and it is their choice (usually) to punch the cars... if the deal makes sense, then do it... the customer who eventually buys the now used car, will get a heck of a deal, the dealership hits targets, the bosses get raises, and the cars still go on the road eventually...

Not exactly.  It's much worse than you make it out.

FCA provided cash to dealers who filed false sales reports at the end of the month to boost the automaker’s delivery numbers. Napleton claims that dealers canceled the sales at the beginning of the next month.

It seems that corporate boasting was at the heart of the alleged deception — the practice aimed to keep FCA’s month-over-month sales streak alive.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 06:44:56 am »
...Sergio on the run to sell to China and retire to Napoli and sell contraband cigarettes.....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 09:35:45 am »
meh...

Except the cars weren't being punched...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 02:30:56 pm »
ahhh... as i said, i assumed... my bad.

it's strange regarding the point you quoted rr.... we can't just cancel a sale after it's rdr'd... it's done... sold... off the books. also, why would the dealer sue for getting paid to do something like that? so they did something shady, got paid to do it, backed out after the fact and now sue? that's worse than what fca did!

i wonder how much gets taken out of context... as in, was chrysler "paying" them to put the sales through by just giving them their volume bonus that they would have hit with those sales? if so... all they are doing is punching, and the dealerships involved tried to cheat the system by reneging on the "sales" after they get paid... if they gave them an added bonus plus let them "un-sell" the cars... yeah, pretty shady... but even then, all i see is guys bending rules to likely get paid bonuses!

sorry if i don't car that much, but lying about sales numbers so people who buy stocks might have incorrect information really isn't the kind of thing i care about... make a decent car, and sell it at a fair price.. the rest is for the suits to all figure out and complain about.