Author Topic: Impaired Driving Can Cost You a Lot  (Read 5882 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Impaired Driving Can Cost You a Lot
« on: December 17, 2012, 08:52:03 am »

With the Holidays just around the corner, CAA-Quebec wants to remind the public of the financial consequences of impaired driving.
Read More...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:50:16 am by Mike »

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: Impared Driving Can Cost You a Lot
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:06:04 am »
Screw the financial implications, what about potentially killing an innocent person? 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 09:14:25 am »
.... :shuffle: ....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 09:49:18 am »
I also think that impaired typing can be extremely annoying.   ;D

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Re: Impaired Driving Can Cost You a Lot
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 09:53:28 am »
I also think that impaired typing can be extremely annoying.   ;D

uh.....yeah..... fixed ;D

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 09:54:55 am »
Screw the financial implications, what about potentially killing an innocent person?

I agree CanuckG35 but for some the financial implications hit harder and quicker than the ultimate potential.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 10:35:46 am »

I agree CanuckG35 but for some the financial implications hit harder and quicker than the ultimate potential.

The financial side for me is the ultimate reason I dont do it. The fact that I would lose my licence and the cost of getting it back is so huge that it is a much bigger deterrent to me than the whole "what if you plow into a schoolbus of blind nuns??" argument.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 11:18:34 am »

This.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 11:32:30 am »

The financial side for me is the ultimate reason I dont do it. The fact that I would lose my licence and the cost of getting it back is so huge that it is a much bigger deterrent to me than the whole "what if you plow into a schoolbus of blind nuns??" argument.

So financial reasons are more of a deterrent than killing yourself, your wife, or an innocent person?   :think:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 11:35:15 am »

So financial reasons are more of a deterrent than killing yourself, your wife, or an innocent person?   :think:

Yup, call me what you will, but you wont find me busted at a checkstop, does it matter that I dont do for money sake as long as I dont do it??

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 11:38:12 am »

Yup, call me what you will, but you wont find me busted at a checkstop, does it matter that I dont do for money sake as long as I dont do it??

I'm happy to hear that you don't do it at all as that is the main thing.........I guess I just don't understand your rationale of money being more important than a life.  Money won't mean much if you're dead. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 11:41:33 am »

I'm happy to hear that you don't do it at all as that is the main thing.........I guess I just don't understand your rationale of money being more important than a life.  Money won't mean much if you're dead.

Yeah, but if I survive and lose everything because I got sued, lost my job because I dont have a licence and my family and freinds all consider me a drunken looser with a DUI under his belt, all that stuff.....more important than a life to me.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 12:35:35 pm »
Alcoholics will drive drunk just as mental midgets will shoot up schools...............ban guns or booze.......... :shuffle: :think: :stick: ..answers please.........

1) buy them all teddy bears in childhood

2) stop putting Vodka in baby formula

3) resist sippy cups that look like automatic weapons........

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 12:43:31 pm »
I don't drive when I'm loaded because the chance of killing someone is simply too great.

I  don't drive after three beer because although I'm able I would be above the current level of 0.05 (in Ontario) and the financial risks are simply too great.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 07:10:11 pm »
Also you get no award for pain and suffering if you're 100% at fault for an accident, as likely in a DUI mishap.  You are entitled to subsidies for treatment, but you could mess yourself up badly with no entitlement to being bailed out financially.  I'm not sure if damage to your vehicle is even covered in a DUI accident.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Impaired Driving Can Cost You a Lot
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 07:52:52 pm »
I think it's somewhat horrifying that its the finances that keep people from drinking and driving.  That shows a complete lack of social consciousness, and a completely selfish perspective.

No wonder saffi worries about our moral state.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 08:06:18 pm »
In my view, the reason for abstaining from drinking and driving matters not.  Whatever is enough to motivate people is good enough for me. 

The problem is the real hard-core drunks, IMO - they think they're invincible and can drive just fine.  Back in the day (we're talking late 80s, here) one of my colleagues would actually brag that he drove better drunk than sober - and he did it consistently.  :shake:  Never got caught, either.  There, but for the grace of God, as the saying goes.

Northernridge

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 08:25:41 pm »

He didn't say innocent people, he said a bus full of blind nuns.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 08:31:58 pm »

I think there needs to be some context.  In Ontario, the new(ish) .05 level for impairment is a joke.  You could have ONE beer or glass of wine with dinner and blow over.

I'm sure most people here who drank a single beer or glass of wine with dinner is not impaired.

What about you, Canuck?  If you had ONE beer in ONE hour, are you impaired? I think not...but that's what the Ontario law is and you could be pinched for it.

I think drunk driver is terrible.  But I was just putting it into perspective with how low the BAC level is in Ontario.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:40:59 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 08:53:12 pm »

I think there needs to be some context.  In Ontario, the new(ish) .05 level for impairment is a joke.  You could have ONE beer or glass of wine with dinner and blow over.

I'm sure most people here who drank a single beer or glass of wine with dinner is not impaired.

What about you, Canuck?  If you had ONE beer in ONE hour, are you impaired? I think not...but that's what the Ontario law is and you could be pinched for it.

I think drunk driver is terrible.  But I was just putting it into perspective with how low the BAC level is in Ontario.

Thumbs up to this. A threshold of .05 does nothing to get the hard core offenders off the road. We've just had 2 recent convictions for DUI resulting in death, and both were over double our .08 limit, with one of them having 3 prior DUI convictions.
"I paid my four bits to see the high-diving act and I'm a-gonna see the high-diving act. "  Yosemite Sam