Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 VW Jetta 2.0 and TDI  (Read 33519 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2011 VW Jetta 2.0 and TDI
« on: October 22, 2010, 04:05:00 am »

In the price-sensitive Canadian market, the new entry-level VW Jetta with a 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine and the fuel-efficient Jetta TDI diesel model are expected to be very popular.  We recently had a chance to drive both in and around Toronto.

Read More...

vgtech

Re: First Drive: 2011 VW Jetta 2.0 and TDI
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 06:40:53 am »
If the figures quoted are correct, the 2.0L auto combination is good for only 41mpg highway and 29 city. That has got to be the worst for its class (compact). Also, $8000 for the diesel?!? I know it's for a higher trim level, but that is still some serious coin. The diesel should be available as a stand alone option.

John MacDonald

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 07:16:54 am »
I really wish that VW would have taken a bit more risk in the exterior design.  I would have liked if they would have taken a cue from the CC.  The design seems very plain but at least it's not ugly.  The other thing I wish they would do is bring over some of the engines they have over in Europe.  I understand why they have the 2.0L gas engine in the lineup to get that price point but I don't think it's competitive at all in power or efficiency.  I think maybe the better option would have been if they brought over the 1.6L TDI Bluemotion diesel as their base engine and have it priced $2,000 more than the current one.  At least that model would have the best fuel economy of all compact vehicles and at the same time give decent performance with 105 HP and 185 lbs.ft of torque.  I wouldn't mind having a vehicle that gets 4.7L/100km in the city (60 mpg) and 3.4L/100km on the highway (80 mpg).

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 07:46:28 am »
I really wish that VW would have taken a bit more risk in the exterior design.  I would have liked if they would have taken a cue from the CC.  The design seems very plain but at least it's not ugly.  The other thing I wish they would do is bring over some of the engines they have over in Europe.  I understand why they have the 2.0L gas engine in the lineup to get that price point but I don't think it's competitive at all in power or efficiency.  I think maybe the better option would have been if they brought over the 1.6L TDI Bluemotion diesel as their base engine and have it priced $2,000 more than the current one.  At least that model would have the best fuel economy of all compact vehicles and at the same time give decent performance with 105 HP and 185 lbs.ft of torque.  I wouldn't mind having a vehicle that gets 4.7L/100km in the city (60 mpg) and 3.4L/100km on the highway (80 mpg).

But would anyone in their target market  buy a 1.6 litre diesel ? In quantity that is?   A suggest a whole pile of people would automatically rule it out because:
Everybody knows that 1.6 litres is too small for an engine ( those people used to say " you need
                                                                                            a V8 to drive on the highway)
What is a diesel anyway?
We have no diesel pumps in our neighbourhood.
Diesel fuel is smelly
My friend said....

Sadly the appropriate 1.6 or 1.4 gas engines are not certified for NA and neither is the 1.6 TDI.

And if it is a real bluemotion that requires exhaust fluid... that's another reason to not buy one.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 08:44:24 am »
If the figures quoted are correct, the 2.0L auto combination is good for only 41mpg highway and 29 city. That has got to be the worst for its class (compact).

Sure, but really, the Jetta is much closer to a mid-size than a compact. In that context, 41mpg/29mpg aren't bad numbers for the size of the Jetta.

Roy

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 08:59:06 am »
Please, please, please offer the AWD with the Jetta wagon TDI w/6 spd manual - I would settle even for the DSG but such a combo would be unique in this market - the anti-SUV.  Too bad CUVs are still all the rage though.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 09:01:14 am »
Please, please, please offer the AWD with the Jetta wagon TDI w/6 spd manual - I would settle even for the DSG but such a combo would be unique in this market - the anti-SUV.  Too bad CUVs are still all the rage though.

Why do you care so much about what others drive?

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 09:43:14 am »
We don't get the 2.0T here like the US does?

This CD review is much more glowing than a recent print MotorTrend review where they dumped all over the 5-cylinder version.  They got to drive the Euro version and liked it a lot better...surprise surprise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSScMDlXsIY

Their overall impressions?  They've given up on marketing German engineering at a lower price...instead, going right after the Civic and pricing based on value.  It doesn't move the ball forward for cars of its class in the US, they are going to have a lot of stiff competition.  Enthusiasts should go diesel or wait for the GLI.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 11:27:39 am »

This CD review is much more glowing than a recent print MotorTrend review where they dumped all over the 5-cylinder version.  They got to drive the Euro version and liked it a lot better...surprise surprise.

Their overall impressions?  They've given up on marketing German engineering at a lower price...instead, going right after the Civic and pricing based on value.  It doesn't move the ball forward for cars of its class in the US, they are going to have a lot of stiff competition.  Enthusiasts should go diesel or wait for the GLI.

I have a feeling this move on VW's part is going to go down in history as "stupid". Ford's bringing out one heck of a car in 2012 in the form of the focus. Hyundai's out to be the next Toyota and introducing a 1.6L direct injected engine that's going to 1) be more powerful and 2) actually delivers better fuel economy. Between those two they'll eat VW's lunch. Those who wants sporty would be in a focus and those who wants fugal would be in the Hyundai. The leaves VW with those who wants neither which is already a space dominated by the Corolla.

I really want to know who the marketing genius is who thinks "hey we'll move our car down market, bring out an engine from a past century and we are going to be MAKING MONEY!".

I'd bet a 24 that end of 2011 VW would be giving away those 2.0L Jetta. They would have to be at accent pricing to get me to suggest anyone buys one.

Peter R

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 12:08:23 pm »
VW's have had spotty reliability, esp. electrical gremlins in the past. Dealership service is poor and after 3 yrs. the car starts to cost you money ( usually after warranty is over ). I know as I've had several VW cars in the past and won't go there again.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 12:21:07 pm »
VW's have had spotty reliability, esp. electrical gremlins in the past. Dealership service is poor and after 3 yrs. the car starts to cost you money ( usually after warranty is over ). I know as I've had several VW cars in the past and won't go there again.

FYI, VWs come with a 4 year/80,000km warranty. You'd think that someone who's owned 'several VW cars in the past' would know this...  ::)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 12:28:11 pm »
We get the 2.0TSI here as well for Comfortline and Highline trims, and should get the GLI too. In the US TDI is delayed intro, whereas in Canada it's available immediately.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 12:30:34 pm »
I had a chance to stop by the dealership last weekend and found I came away with mixed feelings about the new car. In order to reduce the entry price, they have certainly cut a few things out of the interior - if you're getting into a Jetta hoping to find a pint-sized Passat, you will come away disappointed. In this generation at least, the soft-touch dash has been replaced with hard plastic, the gauges are very simple and there aren't a lot of 'screens', the car lacks the feeling of technological modernity that seems to influence other manufacturer's offerings. But depending on what you are looking for, there are other assets to the car that might outweight these apparent negatives, like the tangible feeling of solidity that remains, and the fact that the car appears to be built solidly. To me this has more appeal than flashy standard features, and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a CL+ 2.0 gas or the base 2.0 TDI, either of the cars tested.

In this new model I'm happy to see the advantages of the optional manual transmission haven't diminished, even with the plethora of advances in slushboxes. For those that choose to row their own gears there is $1,500 off the MSRP, 1L/100 Km fuel savings and of course better acceleration - that's a 'yes please' if I were checking off the options list.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 12:30:52 pm »
i almost bought a 2010 VW TDI Comfortline late last year...decided to wait for the 2011 to see what it would be like and was pretty much sold on it...until i saw the interior and the way they "lowered the car down the ladder" to compete with Civic/Corolla models...the one thing i liked about the Jetta was its "upscale" feel...the new Sonata came out and quickly filled that void though.

i do think the 2.slow will still sell well, because people will simply drive the car and if it feels adequate, they will take it...as well, the car still offers a lot of "value" for your money, and there are a lot of people who like VW's fit and finish and "German Engineering", even if the engine is from 1993...to be honest, while the 2.slow engine is "old school" is has been a pretty reliable and "tank" of an engine, so it isn't the worst thing that could have happened.

i think the new Jetta is a good alternative to a Civic or Corolla and should be considered on anyone shopping list if you are looking for a car in that class.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 12:34:59 pm »
It's pretty disappointing to see VW going downscale with the new Jetta's interior... you usually want to improve things from one generation to the next, not the opposite.

What about the Golf? Does it suffer the same fate or is VW really making the Jetta the inexpensive model while the Golf remains more upscale?

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 12:44:13 pm »
It's pretty disappointing to see VW going downscale with the new Jetta's interior... you usually want to improve things from one generation to the next, not the opposite.

What about the Golf? Does it suffer the same fate or is VW really making the Jetta the inexpensive model while the Golf remains more upscale?

Golf remains intact as far as interior trim, still with lots of soft-touch materials and lots of standard features but it's still plagued with the 2.5 as a base motor. I think VW is trying the Wal-Mart philosophy on the Jetta first and will use that as a test market for what to produce in the future. Quantity > Quality - people want 'more for less', and that's exactly what they're getting - bigger car, cheaper price, cheaper interior.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 12:51:45 pm »

I have a feeling this move on VW's part is going to go down in history as "stupid". Ford's bringing out one heck of a car in 2012 in the form of the focus. Hyundai's out to be the next Toyota and introducing a 1.6L direct injected engine that's going to 1) be more powerful and 2) actually delivers better fuel economy. Between those two they'll eat VW's lunch. Those who wants sporty would be in a focus and those who wants fugal would be in the Hyundai. The leaves VW with those who wants neither which is already a space dominated by the Corolla.

I really want to know who the marketing genius is who thinks "hey we'll move our car down market, bring out an engine from a past century and we are going to be MAKING MONEY!".

I'd bet a 24 that end of 2011 VW would be giving away those 2.0L Jetta. They would have to be at accent pricing to get me to suggest anyone buys one.

Hmmm. I would argue that it will do well here - lots of people want VW's, Jetta's have historically done very well here, but the price point was always $20K+. Now that people can get into 'the new Jetta' at $17K they will ask less about features and quality and more about 'where do I sign'. Many people come to VW with the preconception of a higher quality vehicle, and the test drive will do little to coax this out of  them. The car feels solid, and while the interior trim has lost some of it's soft-touch qualities it remains simple and functional. Personally I'd be tempted by the sportier, more powerful and better-equipped Mazda3, but I wouldn't dismiss the new Jetta as an option.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 12:59:55 pm »
Article mentions test unit was a 2.0L gas with 5 speed auto.  Pretty sure all autos are 6 speeds dsg and non dsg. 

vdk

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 01:01:50 pm »

Golf remains intact as far as interior trim, still with lots of soft-touch materials and lots of standard features but it's still plagued with the 2.5 as a base motor. I think VW is trying the Wal-Mart philosophy on the Jetta first and will use that as a test market for what to produce in the future. Quantity > Quality - people want 'more for less', and that's exactly what they're getting - bigger car, cheaper price, cheaper interior.

The I5 is not a bad engine. It has similar power output and fuel economy as Mazda's 2.5 I4.

The I5 is a good, sturdy engine. Part of the reason the Rabbit was deemed more reliable than a Honda Civic. Plus, it has a lot of character - more so than the 2.0T I'd say.

I'd take the I5 over any other engine in it's class.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 01:04:06 pm by vdk »

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 01:02:19 pm »

True enough, I guess that's why we have Subaru's!