Author Topic: Long-Term Test Update 4: 2012 Mazda5 GS Manual  (Read 17831 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Long-Term Test Update 4: 2012 Mazda5 GS Manual
« on: August 31, 2012, 06:05:33 am »

Guest reviewer Roger Pinnock packed his family and their stuff into our long-term Mazda5 for a road trip, and lives to tell.

Read More...

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
Re: Long-Term Test Update 4: 2012 Mazda5 GS Manual
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 10:38:59 am »

Guest reviewer Roger Pinnock packed his family and their stuff into our long-term Mazda5 for a road trip, and lives to tell.

Read More...

Nice review.  I was interested in one for its flexibility, but my wife wasn't a fan of the form factor...
Very practical family car, indeed.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 12:56:23 pm »
Great review!! Seems that this is definetly a minivan contender, plus it looks great and you can get it with a stick. You can own a minivan and not have to own something as suicide inducing as a Caravan/Sienna/Oddysey  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 01:05:18 pm »
Good review but this was just too funny.

The radio also provided some cause for criticism, as the flat, tinny, hollow sound sent the youngsters scrambling for the comparative auditory bliss of their iPods.

:rofl2:

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 02:15:42 pm »
The segment has otherwise all but completely transformed into a collection of vehicles that can’t fairly be described as “mini” in any meaningful respect. Big in size, with seating for seven or eight occupants. Big in luxury, with sybaritic options lists. Big in power, with strong V6 engines putting down serious motive force. And of course, big in price.

Well, I'm not agree. MPV, Ford minivans, Chevy minivans and Chryslerminivans were priced for the mass folk. Today the only existing is Chrysler with about 20 grand base price...All imports are roughly twice more expensive and on different market niche. So, please don't ignore Chrysler minivans, not just because they invented it, but simply 'cause they are a class on its own, the way Mazda5 is!

Offline makuribu

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 04:38:20 pm »
With three kids, three row seating is a necessity. The ability to separate feuding siblings on a long road trip is important. Besides, no car, no matter how big, has a back seat designed for three humans anymore. The middle seat is invariably a lumpy nightmare with an inadequate cushion that folds down to provide cup holders for the "real" seats. Once your youngest grows out of a booster seat, you have to explain to one of them why they are your least favourite child. "Don't worry, Amelia, we'll get you a physiotherapist once you get back from the cottage."

For road trip vacations I have rented two different three row vehicles in successive years, a Mazda5 (automatic) and a Chrysler Town & Country. I'll take the Mazda5 any day. It's smaller, and much nicer to drive and park. The T&C felt huge and drank gas accordingly, and costs a lot more. Although you can get a stripped down "Canadian Special" Dodge Caravan for about the same price as a Mazda5, you give up all of the convenience features of the T&C, as well as A/C. There's no way I'm driving a glass house on the 401 in the summer without cooling...

The Toyota and Honda and Nissan minivans are all priced similar to the Chrysler, and they don't show up as rentals, so I haven't tried them.

I have yet to try the Chev Orlando, which also comes with a 6MT, which is the transmission I'd choose on the Mazda5.
'Cause you can only drive down Main St. so many times

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 04:56:40 pm »
This vehicle is right sized, efficient, comfortable, more adequately powered with the 2.5L vs 2.3 L engines and it has great value.  I disagree with Fobroader that it looks great.  I personally don't like the front end, tail lights and side door panels with all the wavy lines and creases.  The previous gen looks much better IMO.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 06:04:06 pm »
In England, there are so many of these MPV style vehicles running around.  Man I wish we had more of these in Canada.  England/Europe are so far ahead of us when it comes to proper, useful, efficient and fun vehicles.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 06:52:44 pm »
In England, there are so many of these MPV style vehicles running around.  Man I wish we had more of these in Canada.  England/Europe are so far ahead of us when it comes to proper, useful, efficient and fun vehicles.

I also saw a ton of Mazda5's in Israel when I visited, not that it makes israelis smart... just cheap...

nice ride for this week!
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 12:18:31 pm »
With three kids, three row seating is a necessity. The ability to separate feuding siblings on a long road trip is important. Besides, no car, no matter how big, has a back seat designed for three humans anymore. The middle seat is invariably a lumpy nightmare with an inadequate cushion that folds down to provide cup holders for the "real" seats. Once your youngest grows out of a booster seat, you have to explain to one of them why they are your least favourite child. "Don't worry, Amelia, we'll get you a physiotherapist once you get back from the cottage."

For road trip vacations I have rented two different three row vehicles in successive years, a Mazda5 (automatic) and a Chrysler Town & Country. I'll take the Mazda5 any day. It's smaller, and much nicer to drive and park. The T&C felt huge and drank gas accordingly, and costs a lot more. Although you can get a stripped down "Canadian Special" Dodge Caravan for about the same price as a Mazda5, you give up all of the convenience features of the T&C, as well as A/C. There's no way I'm driving a glass house on the 401 in the summer without cooling...

The Toyota and Honda and Nissan minivans are all priced similar to the Chrysler, and they don't show up as rentals, so I haven't tried them.

I have yet to try the Chev Orlando, which also comes with a 6MT, which is the transmission I'd choose on the Mazda5.

The Caravan in the base Canada Value package does have A/C as well as all the basic extras (see below).  I do agree the Mazda5 is more fun to drive though.  The Mazda5 is the perfect minivan for families with 2 kids, anymore and you have no cargo space.

2012 Grand Caravan SE Canada Value Package

BUILD & PRICE

REASONS TO BUY

·         2012 IIHS top safety pick

·         7.9L/100 km (36 mpg) highway

STANDARD FEATURES

·         3.6L Pentastar™ VVT V6 with 283 hp

·         6-Speed Automatic

·         16-inch wheels

·         Electronic stability control with all speed traction control and brake assist

·         Advanced multistage front, side curtain, front seat side, and driver’s knee blocker airbags

·         Front active head restraints

·         Four-wheel disc antilock brakes

·         Power windows and locks

·         Power heated foldaway mirrors

·         3rd row Stow ‘n Go® seating with 2nd row bench seats and storage tubs

·         Keyless entry

·         Air Conditioning with dual-zone temperature control

·         Steering wheel mounted audio and cruise controls

·         Tilt/telescoping steering column

·         Tinted glass windows

·         Sliding door alert warning

Offline Adam D

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 10:17:02 pm »
I looked at the these quite seriously, but just found that they were a compromise vehicle. Road noise was terrible and the third row is useless. As far as gas milage goes,  I would rather drive in comfort and have lots of reserve power...it probably only amounts to an extra 2-300/ year (at best) in fuel savings over other cars that have more power and space. Considering that it's a Mazda a person would likley end up using all fuel savings on body work at the 5 year mark.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 12:34:43 pm »
I looked at the these quite seriously, but just found that they were a compromise vehicle. Road noise was terrible and the third row is useless. As far as gas milage goes,  I would rather drive in comfort and have lots of reserve power...it probably only amounts to an extra 2-300/ year (at best) in fuel savings over other cars that have more power and space. Considering that it's a Mazda a person would likley end up using all fuel savings on body work at the 5 year mark.

What happens at 5 years?  Do they dent easy?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 12:44:51 pm »
They rust, apparently. Nothing we British Columbians have to worry about.

My only complaint is the paint they use.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 02:54:26 pm »
Great review Roger. Regular Autos reviews take some note....please.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 03:53:02 pm »
Sure enough, with only one digital peg remaining on the fuel display, I was only able to squeeze in about 45 L of regular grade fuel. Mazda lists a 60 L fuel capacity for this vehicle, so they have clearly calibrated the readout to allow for a very ample past-empty reserve. While this is perhaps a prudent choice, it is one that limits the effective range of the vehicle on a long road trip.

What fack does that mean?
Not many people can drive 5 hours and not stop to go to wc so how does 60l effect the range of the vehicle

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 04:58:14 pm »
Sure enough, with only one digital peg remaining on the fuel display, I was only able to squeeze in about 45 L of regular grade fuel. Mazda lists a 60 L fuel capacity for this vehicle, so they have clearly calibrated the readout to allow for a very ample past-empty reserve. While this is perhaps a prudent choice, it is one that limits the effective range of the vehicle on a long road trip.

Not many people can drive 5 hours and not stop to go to wc so how does 60l effect the range of the vehicle

Roger simply is super human.  He needs a pit stop once a week ;)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 05:20:46 pm »

Gee I'm 51 and can go +5 hrs.  :)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 05:23:45 pm »

Gee I'm 51 and can go +5 hrs.  :)
Wait another couple of years  :rofl:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:51:58 pm by airbalancer »

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 06:19:38 pm »
Excellent review!   :thumbup:
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 07:38:32 pm »

This is because fuel/road and CO2 taxes have made such, fun, fuel efficient vehicles the norm rather than the exception. A litre of regular unleaded is C$2.20 in the UK at the moment. A four litre Chrysler mini-van would have an extra sales tax of 1030 pounds and an annual CO2 fee of 475 pounds. On the other hand, a 1.6 litre gasoline Mazda 3 has a purchase tax of 170 pounds and the same annual CO2 fee.

It's all about dollars and cents.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.