Author Topic: Problem with your hybrid? Burn more gas, Ford tells owner  (Read 14138 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Problem with your hybrid? Burn more gas, Ford tells owner
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 02:37:15 pm »
Short trips in any car in winter are tough. Hybrid or not, the engine has got to get to operating temperatures to remove condensation once in a while.

Ford may have to look at their programming to see if they can mitigate the issue.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 03:15:28 pm »
I guess that lady never got the memo; if something significant is wrong with a Ford, Ford will never fix it.  Fords are a crap shoot.  You get a good one and your laughing.  Get one with a problem and Ford will BS you till you just give up.  Unless you live in the US were Ford is forced to by it back.  :P

For 3 1/2 years my wife drove a 2012 Camry Hybrid 4km to work and 4km back.  In a climate that is colder than St. John's.  Oil changes every 8K km.  Thing was like knew when let it go @ 78k km.

She wants Ford Canada to buy back her car so she can afford to purchase a new vehicle

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Because of the bad press Ford will make an offer @ below wholesale which probably will be on a 2014 Fusion Hybrid $15.000   She'll still be out the tax.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 03:17:17 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 03:43:29 pm »
She'd probably be better off with a full EV, since her daily drives are fairly short.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 05:32:58 pm »
I guess that lady never got the memo; if something significant is wrong with a Ford, Ford will never fix it.  Fords are a crap shoot.  You get a good one and your laughing.  Get one with a problem and Ford will BS you till you just give up.  Unless you live in the US were Ford is forced to by it back.  :P

For 3 1/2 years my wife drove a 2012 Camry Hybrid 4km to work and 4km back.  In a climate that is colder than St. John's.  Oil changes every 8K km.  Thing was like knew when let it go @ 78k km.

She wants Ford Canada to buy back her car so she can afford to purchase a new vehicle

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Because of the bad press Ford will make an offer @ below wholesale which probably will be on a 2014 Fusion Hybrid $15.000   She'll still be out the tax.

So, I take it you're not a Ford slappie?

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 08:13:02 pm »
As she says, sort of defeats the purpose, no?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/lisa-sweeney-ford-fusion-hybrid-sludge-1.3779293

this is such an interesting case! I am wondering if other hybrids would suffer the same fate if she was to put them through the same kind of stress...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 08:19:52 pm »
^^This can happen to any car that's rarely driven or is a garage queen.  Or makes short trips.

I've read about it on the 911 forums.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 09:15:29 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 08:35:34 pm »
The woman drives it regularily.

Their Fusion/Lincoln hybrid is 2nd tier.  Ford still has too much debt and the company is under capitalized.  They are doing a good job considering the fierce competition.  However, in this country, if you buy a Ford and it has a major issue you're SOL.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 09:02:01 pm »
Well I was lucky with my focus I guess then?

Maybe if I get the 1.0L ecoboost focus I should lease then... hmmmm

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 09:20:54 pm »
The woman drives it regularily.

I added "Or makes short trips".  Also, this is more common in cars with looooong oil fill tubes.  Is the Ford loooong?

Again...see the same thing on some other forums, but nowhere near that bad.

Here's a typical 911 condensation

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 09:21:19 pm »
First oil change move I did with the Volt was to go full synthetic to avoid moisture build-up, foam oil reaction. Maybe it is only a urban legend but why not if it reveals to be true.

I believe the worst condition is when the ICE doesn't run long enough to reach it operating temperature. May the oil change schedule to be shorten in this condition?
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 09:53:02 pm »
First oil change move I did with the Volt was to go full synthetic to avoid moisture build-up, foam oil reaction. Maybe it is only a urban legend but why not if it reveals to be true.

I believe the worst condition is when the ICE doesn't run long enough to reach it operating temperature. May the oil change schedule to be shorten in this condition?

Yeah, sound like crappy oil. Her travel to work is 20 min. For a non-plug hybrid it's a lot of time for engine to warm up. If it has a plug though I wouldn't be surprised.

Or maybe it's a "fun guy"  :rofl2:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0I4KKSgeBI
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 08:16:05 am »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/lisa-sweeney-ford-fusion-hybrid-sludge-1.3779293

I have been thinking of getting a hybrid to replace my diesel Passat once it is returned to VW. Now with these issues, I'm not sure a hybrid is applicable since my use case is very similar to that described in the article. Guess a small 4 cylinder it is... Anyone know of similar issues with the Toyota hybrids (Prius and Camry)?

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 11:31:48 am »

I have been thinking of getting a hybrid to replace my diesel Passat once it is returned to VW. Now with these issues, I'm not sure a hybrid is applicable since my use case is very similar to that described in the article. Guess a small 4 cylinder it is... Anyone know of similar issues with the Toyota hybrids (Prius and Camry)?

This is a good question, and not only to Toyota's but any similar system.  Is it a Ford problem, or is it widespread to all hybrid's? 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 12:01:40 pm »
I wouldn't consider 12km short. 5km or 15 minutes and under would be short.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 12:04:47 pm »

This is a good question, and not only to Toyota's but any similar system.  Is it a Ford problem, or is it widespread to all hybrid's?

This is the first time I've heard of the issue in any hybrid. Ford has sold a pile of hybrids over the years, so if it was widespread, I'm sure we would have heard of it prior to now.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 12:25:33 pm »
Short trips in any car in winter are tough. Hybrid or not, the engine has got to get to operating temperatures to remove condensation once in a while.

Ford may have to look at their programming to see if they can mitigate the issue.

A 12 km drive to work should be more than adequate to get her car up to operating temp.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 12:37:40 pm »

A 12 km drive to work should be more than adequate to get her car up to operating temp.

But how much of that is actually using the internal combustion engine?  That seems to be the issue here, it is not running enough in the 12km/20 minutes to actually warm up as the battery is providing most (but not all) the power.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 12:53:49 pm »
Would CAMVAP not be the right people to contact after the dealer states they can no longer help her?  Ford Canada is a member and sounds like it might be the best scenario for her to have it bought back.

I wonder if they would consider trading her hybrid for a gas one and use her car for studying and avoid all the hassle of bad media and upset customer.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 01:06:36 pm »

I drive 6 kms to work and for three months in winter my temp needle barely moves off cold by the time I get to work.

I do periodically take if for a longer drive to make sure it's up to operating temperature for a half hour or better though.