Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1068413 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #4160 on: May 18, 2016, 08:34:44 am »
You and Patrik both need to get some basic road bikes and hook up for a nice ride with me, quad, Runsinlight and whoever else we can snag.

But then they would have to ride more than 15 kms.  :stick:

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #4161 on: May 18, 2016, 09:46:58 am »
You and Patrik both need to get some basic road bikes and hook up for a nice ride with me, quad, Runsinlight and whoever else we can snag.

I won't lie, I want to. I'm throwing every free penny at my mortgage in additional payments right now (I hate debt), but maybe I can squeak out some bike budget in the coming months.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4162 on: May 18, 2016, 10:58:57 am »

I don't know why, but biking on the road doesn't do much for me.  I had a road bike in the UK for a while, even brought it to Canada.  Sold it soon after.  Off-road is where it's at.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #4163 on: May 18, 2016, 11:06:07 am »
Road cycling is for those that want to think about their problems.
Mountain biking is for those that don't want to think about their problems.

People and the sports they play tend to fall into one of two camps - sports which allow them to think and day dream and those that want to escape from their normal day to day life.
My .02 ;)
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4164 on: May 18, 2016, 11:12:18 am »

People and the sports they play tend to fall into one of two camps - sports which allow them to think and day dream and those that want to escape from their normal day to day life.
My .02 ;)
Railton
Since you wrote 2 cents, it really means 0,
2 cents is less 3 cents so it gets round down to 0,
 if you wrote 3 cents we could then round it up to 5 cents
 then it would have meaning  ;D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4165 on: May 18, 2016, 11:44:42 am »

My .02 ;)
Railton

So what you're saying is, mountain biking takes concentration, road biking can be done by anyone with half a brain.  :rofl2: ;D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4166 on: May 18, 2016, 12:14:41 pm »

My .02 ;)
Railton

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #4167 on: May 18, 2016, 12:25:35 pm »

My .02 ;)
Railton

So what you're saying is, mountain biking takes concentration, road biking can be done by anyone with half a brain.  :rofl2: ;D
Ha, ha, no, you're saying that! ;)
Railton

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #4168 on: May 18, 2016, 12:53:07 pm »
Depends where y'all mountain bike........I worry more in the backcountry, not about life, more  about Bears, Cougars, and other unfriendly wild creatures.

Had two Bear encounters while biking in my day, very scarry. Been attacked by an Owl (thank goodness for helmets) Rode on trails that had Cougar warnings, those I fear the most, sneaky buggers. It's a good feeling to hit the parking lot some days after trail rides.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: May 18, 2016, 12:54:15 pm »

My .02 ;)
Railton

Ha, ha, no, you're saying that! ;)
Railton

And Triathlons are for those that can't decide what the f*ck they want to do.  ;D

Offline YURKBC

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4170 on: May 18, 2016, 01:20:25 pm »

My .02 ;)
Railton

from my experience, it is better not to think about your problems when you ride on the road. I ended up crashing twice when my mind was not completely on the road. When I ride, I focus on the road.
I find that swimming in a pool is the place and time to think about problems, find solutions or relax. No distractions, just need to turn around every 25m and keep counting lengths :)
One makes a living by what one gets; one makes a life by what one gives

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: May 18, 2016, 02:10:09 pm »
Road riding - Going too fast to think

Mtn biking - Too technical to think

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: May 18, 2016, 08:15:30 pm »
Mountain biking is much more my cup of tea given my background in racing - the same concepts of good vision and picking lines apply, plus the healthy dose of adrenaline. In all honesty, I'd only want a road bike to train during the week when I can't make it out to the trails.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: May 18, 2016, 08:42:37 pm »
Mountain biking is much more my cup of tea given my background in racing - the same concepts of good vision and picking lines apply, plus the healthy dose of adrenaline. In all honesty, I'd only want a road bike to train during the week when I can't make it out to the trails.

That was one of the reasons why I gave up mtn biking. Any trail that I wanted to ride was always a 2 hr drive away. I have amazing road riding routes right out my front door.

Of course, mtn and road biking are both great sports and appeal to different people for different reasons. I started off with road, then switched to mtn bike and am now back to road again. Loved all the mtn biking I did and happy that I was able to ride down mtns in Colorado, high desert in Frutia CO and the mtn biking mecca of Moab Utah. Hard to mtn bike around here after all that.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #4174 on: May 18, 2016, 09:07:44 pm »
^^ nice road riding pic! :stick:  ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12351
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4175 on: May 20, 2016, 02:36:22 pm »

My .02 ;)tsely con
Railton

Actually, I find road cycling more meditative than contemplative.  On long solo ride I find myself in almost a Zen-like state, induced by the steady cadence, the wind rushing past my ears and the long open road ahead.  I'm not thinking of anything at all for the most part - I'm often surprised when I realize how far I've gone in a particular route - like how did I get here already? except an hour has passed and I barely noticed. 

Not sure I'd be in the same headspace while crashing over rocks and treestumps and whatnot.  Though I'm sure I wouldn't be thinking about my problems there, either - more likely intensely concentrating on trying to avoid hugging a tree at high speed.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4176 on: May 20, 2016, 02:55:50 pm »
when is the  Tesla electric bike coming with an 18 inch I Pad so i can watch movies in Moab sweatless whilst smelling the odour of spandex ballet ???
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: May 23, 2016, 01:15:59 pm »
Got in a great morning ride on the trails. On the way home I came across a solo roadie wearing a jersey inscribed with "PLEASE DON'T RUN ME OVER." It was worth a chuckle and a wave  :rofl2:

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #4178 on: May 24, 2016, 01:20:05 pm »
Planning to go in for a bike fitting, I'm looking at two options both which I'd get 20% off.   I've never had a fitting before.  Given that I will be riding in the 30-60km range most of the time would I still see benefit from the extra $100 for the more advanced fitting?

$200 Fitting

This is a 1.5 to 2 hour comprehensive bicycle fitting. It includes:

detailed interview
    basic physical assessment
    choice of saddle pressure mapping or motion capture technology
    one follow up session within 3 months of initial fitting

$300 Fitting

detailed interview
    advanced physical assessment
        includes detailed flexibility, mobility & strength assessment.
        includes detailed foot assessment
    pressure mapping technology
    dartfish motion capture technology
    purely custom size cycle (where appropriate and necessary)
    satisfaction guarantee

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: May 24, 2016, 01:48:44 pm »
Got in a great morning ride on the trails. On the way home I came across a solo roadie wearing a jersey inscribed with "PLEASE DON'T RUN ME OVER." It was worth a chuckle and a wave  :rofl2:

That is an awesome jersey :thumbup:

Planning to go in for a bike fitting, I'm looking at two options both which I'd get 20% off.   I've never had a fitting before.  Given that I will be riding in the 30-60km range most of the time would I still see benefit from the extra $100 for the more advanced fitting?

My vote is for the $200 option. The $300 option would be better for somebody doing competitive riding/racing.

Will be interested in hearing how the fitting went and any improvements you noticed post adjustment.  Also think that is money well spent as fit is the most important part of cycling.  Just think how much faster you will be while riding over to get that butter tart(s).