Author Topic: Interesting MORONS seen on the way to work  (Read 973920 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting MORONS seen on the way to work
« Reply #2640 on: May 05, 2016, 09:15:16 pm »
No big deal chatting on the phone.  Engine running?  Not so much.

Agreed.

Although I do have to wonder how often a running car could actually cause a fire?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #2641 on: May 06, 2016, 01:01:47 pm »
No big deal chatting on the phone.  Engine running?  Not so much.

Agreed.

Although I do have to wonder how often a running car could actually cause a fire?

Cell phone is definitely NOT a problem at all.  However, simple static discharge IS enough to start one at the pump.  Although a running car is not necessary, it certainly wouldn't help your cause any.

See the following from a Mythbusters episode.  I never would have thought it possible but there ya go:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw6-PhvcS3M
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2642 on: May 06, 2016, 01:49:38 pm »
Coming back from lunch there was an accident on one of the main streets up the hill, so I (along with everyone else) cut over to another street. Was waiting forever at a green light, finally pulled up to the turn lane and there's an older man on his phone who was holding everyone up. I honked and gave him the "hang up" signal and he ignored me. Didn't bother me too much but he was the first car at the light at this point, and there was an oncoming cop who didn't notice his blatant cell phone use at all. And he was either oblivious to the law or to the cop.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:57:31 pm by OliverD »

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #2643 on: May 14, 2016, 06:29:08 pm »
So visiting parents for the weekend, there was a joint EU Open house at the German embassy today, open to the public with various cultural events and food. Urban parking was very limited along the narrow, hilly streets. I shoved the Tiguan between a driveway and another car, and was walking towards the event.

There was an older lady in a Kia Soul who attempted the same mid-block U-turn on the hill that I did, but unfortunately rolled back into the side of a parked Accord when changing from reverse to drive. It wasn't a slight touch....it was a "bang" sort of impact. Bunch of us bystanders turned our heads and I said aloud "Anyone want to get the tag of the car?"

At the top of the hill was a German lady who walked up to the driver trying to get off scot-free. "Excuse me? Are you just going to drive off ? You just hit that car !"

"Well, I have no where to stop to leave a note......"

I caught/walked up to the driver as well, clearly stating "well you cannot just drive off, you have to leave a note. Please, pull over into this driveway and leave something."

"Um okay, is this really necessary.......?
Both the German and I being quite stern at this point....."YES !"

At this point, the owner of the Accord arrived and saw the damage. I flagged him down, sent him a MMS of the tags of the offender and explained what happened, and let him handle the rest on the own.

Idiot thought she could get away being a bad driver hitting someone's car. That doesn't fly when there's a bunch of witnesses around, especially a German !
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #2644 on: May 14, 2016, 06:32:52 pm »

Idiot thought she could get away being a bad driver hitting someone's car. That doesn't fly when there's a bunch of witnesses around, especially a German !

Ve haf vays of making you talk.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2645 on: May 14, 2016, 08:05:32 pm »
Weekend traffic in Edmonton?  Far, far too many morons to begin to count.  Morons = the rule.  Good driving = the exception.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: May 15, 2016, 01:12:46 pm »
Last Sunday I was coming home on my road. It's basically a several KM long straightaway but isn't in great shape and has no real shoulders. No yellow line either. Speed limit is 70, I'm going about 80. There's a red Camaro behind me. Up ahead I see a CUV and it's parked on my side of the road. Since the road is narrow, I lift off the throttle as I approach the parked car and I'm about to move to the left side of the road when I realize the f***ing Camaro is passing me! What a f***ing idiot. If I had sideswiped him I could have easily lost control and plowed into the back of the parked car.

This is roughly where it happened: https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.907014,-66.75777,3a,75y,359.51h,66.55t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sWKs4eVlzJ2Oobw0RpDC3qA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DWKs4eVlzJ2Oobw0RpDC3qA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D392%26h%3D106%26yaw%3D221.97176%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #2647 on: May 16, 2016, 11:35:55 am »
Weekend traffic in Edmonton?  Far, far too many morons to begin to count.  Morons = the rule.  Good driving = the exception.

Those are the times when you should get out a lawn chair and enjoy the madness from a safe distance.  Like this fellow ended up doing in the 1st Pink Panther film:    :rofl2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnf4v5mqHes

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #2648 on: May 17, 2016, 09:34:49 am »
on sunday morning, went to local McD joint for a coffee and pastry.

on my way out, what do i see?   this idiot in the van waiting to go into drive-thru, blocking traffic from entering the parking lot or move on to different part of the mall.   

of course, you must go around, since the idiot is "entitled" to block traffic anywhere she wants and there's room to go around..

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: May 17, 2016, 09:48:18 am »
Yeah that's typical. The worst is Tim Horton's here. There's a couple of locations where the drive thru will spill out into the street and really screws with traffic. I can't believe people are so lazy that they won't go into the store and actually save time when the drive through is that backed up.

It's so bad that at one spot the city put up a "No Left Turn to Tim Horton's" sign.  ::)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #2650 on: May 17, 2016, 09:56:50 am »
Yeah that's typical. The worst is Tim Horton's here. There's a couple of locations where the drive thru will spill out into the street and really screws with traffic. I can't believe people are so lazy that they won't go into the store and actually save time when the drive through is that backed up.

It's so bad that at one spot the city put up a "No Left Turn to Tim Horton's" sign.  ::)

i know, i hardly ever use the drive-thru in most cases, but it seems the drive-thru at most TimHortons or McD are treated to faster lines.

on the day i took that photo, i waited 20 MINUTES in store for a coffee and pastry....... an older guy who ordered before me and waited EVEN LONGER  just left without his order out of frustration, while the drive thru was moving well....

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: May 18, 2016, 05:08:47 pm »
Last week my neighbour's 19-year-old son was trying to turn left across 2 lanes of rush-hour traffic. An oncoming driver in the inside lane actually stopped and motioned him to cross :o.  When he accepted this kind invitation, not too surprisingly a vehicle in the curb lane nailed him. Thankfully there were no injuries, but his truck was totaled. If he chooses to drive again, his ICBC premium will be almost $4000 a year.  :P

A day or two later I was stopped at a red light at one of Vernon's busiest intersections, rush hour again. I saw four vehicles in a row making a turn from a dedicated left-turn lane directly into the outside lane. It happens all the time around here, but I still have to ask - WTF are you idiots thinking??  ??? It's getting so bad in this town that sometimes Edmonton seems like a driver's paradise.  ::)
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: May 18, 2016, 09:14:08 pm »
A day or two later I was stopped at a red light at one of Vernon's busiest intersections, rush hour again. I saw four vehicles in a row making a turn from a dedicated left-turn lane directly into the outside lane. It happens all the time around here, but I still have to ask - WTF are you idiots thinking??  ??? It's getting so bad in this town that sometimes Edmonton seems like a driver's paradise.  ::)

People do that here all the time. Even worse, they make the left hand turn into the outside lane that is the result of a dedicated right turn lane for oncoming traffic, crossing a solid white line in the process.

This of course results in people in that right turn lane stopping and yielding to traffic despite the fact that the lane is theirs.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #2653 on: May 18, 2016, 09:40:39 pm »

People do that here all the time. Even worse, they make the left hand turn into the outside lane that is the result of a dedicated right turn lane for oncoming traffic, crossing a solid white line in the process.

This of course results in people in that right turn lane stopping and yielding to traffic despite the fact that the lane is theirs.

And even when people do turn into the proper lane, they almost never manage to do it properly. I'm talking about the OMG-not-gonna-make-it-gotta-crank-the-wheel-hard-at-the-last-minute! maneuver.

Done properly, it's a nice constant-radius turn that results in the car coming to the lane already pointed in the proper direction. People always turn in way too soon and beeline it for the other side.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2654 on: May 18, 2016, 09:45:09 pm »
Last week my neighbour's 19-year-old son was trying to turn left across 2 lanes of rush-hour traffic. An oncoming driver in the inside lane actually stopped and motioned him to cross :o.  When he accepted this kind invitation, not too surprisingly a vehicle in the curb lane nailed him. Thankfully there were no injuries, but his truck was totaled. If he chooses to drive again, his ICBC premium will be almost $4000 a year.  :P

Glad they are ok. I like to call what the oncoming driver did 'dangerous courtesy".

I learned at 16 that if you can't see if the way is 100% clear then it isn't safe to go. Lucky for me I never got hit when I went around the big truck not knowing there was a car going around it and then saw all four wheels locked and smoking. :censor: my pants that day.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2655 on: May 18, 2016, 11:01:50 pm »
Glad they are ok. I like to call what the oncoming driver did 'dangerous courtesy".
This happens quite a bit around where I live as well. I know the drivers mean well, but if I am the turning vehicle, I simply wave them by unless all lanes of opposing traffic are stopped in the queue and recognise I'm turning. Otherwise I just wave the driver by; I don't expect the generousity from other drivers and collisions happen frequently in such cases.

In fact, my coworker got into a side-impact because of an identical situation during lunch a couple years ago. One lane of traffic was stopped, someone tried to pull out, and drove right into the passenger side of my coworker's old Ford Focus as she drove by in the 2nd lane. I was fortunately on my way back to work on that road (not normal route for me) and saw her on the side of the road, stopped and checked she was okay- she has no mobile- and then helped her out a bit before returning to work.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:05:49 pm by mlin32 »

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: May 19, 2016, 08:56:04 am »
Being "courteous" and allowing other drivers to go out of turn definitely causes more problems than it solves.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: May 26, 2016, 09:26:20 am »
idiot in a Nissan rogue, wanting me to make room for her to merge....  when there's room in front of me.
i saw what she was trying to do, so i didn't alter my speed and left the room in front. 

if she bothered to step on the accelerator a bit, she could have just moved right in the space in front, but no....  she doesn't slow down or speed up to go into the slot but sits there blinking away, frustrated that i'm not slowing down for her...

and what do you know, the merge lane ends, and she comes to a complete stop....

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: May 26, 2016, 10:52:05 am »
idiot in a Nissan rogue, wanting me to make room for her to merge....  when there's room in front of me.
i saw what she was trying to do, so i didn't alter my speed and left the room in front. 

if she bothered to step on the accelerator a bit, she could have just moved right in the space in front, but no....  she doesn't slow down or speed up to go into the slot but sits there blinking away, frustrated that i'm not slowing down for her...

^Happens All. The. Time.  :banghead:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2659 on: May 26, 2016, 11:00:22 am »

Yeah...commonplace here. No amount of waving, honking flashing of lights will get these window lickers to speed up.
Lighten up Francis.....