Author Topic: My new car...  (Read 4616 times)

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
My new car...
« on: October 19, 2016, 10:04:19 am »
So, after 12 months or so of deliberation, I have finally found a worthy replacement for my 2013 Civic.  Along the way, I have considered a truck, a Jeep, a V6 Mustang (all too expensive), a cheaper, new car (Fiesta/Accent) and a pre-owned Focus, Cruze and Mazda 6.  However, driving home the other week, I drove past this little beauty on a used car lot locally.  2010, only 82k, no accidents, full MINI service history and the 6 speed manual (my preferred transmission of choice).  Anyway, the test drive was done, a deal was struck, $9000 for the MINI and $13000 for the Civic (2013 EX sedan manual with 62k), which wasn't bad considering that my local Honda stealer who are apparently desperate for used stock like mine offered me $10000 against a new Civic!  So, I managed to lop 20% off my payments, 2% off the interest rate and 2 years off my term and am now the proud owner of a fine piece of Anglo-German engineering (ironically my first British car)!

So, what's it like?  Well yes, the rear seats are pretty cramped and the load area MINIscule but I hardly use them and our family car is a Grand Caravan, so not a major issue.  The lack of a spare wheel (there's no spare wheel well), is of some concern, so I may have to purchase a donut to chuck in the back for longer journeys just in case!  Sitting in it feels like a pretty unique experience.  You sit sports car low and you're up close and personal with the dash and windshield and the interior has some neat and rather quirky retro touches.  It's just a regular Cooper, so with only 120hp, performance is nothing to write home about but I'm averaging better FE than the Civic (around 6.9L/100km) and on 16s, the ride is surprisingly decent and it's surprisingly refined on the highway thanks to that 6th gear.  However, it does only weigh around a metric tonne, so rev it beyond about 5k and it goes surprisingly well.  The real joy is in the handling and steering though.  It's a bit of a cliche when it comes to MINIs but it really does turn-in like a go kart and I haven't driven anything with this much steering feel since my early 90s Peugeot 205 GTi sport hatch with its unassisted rack (one of my all time favourite cars).  MINI is owned by BMW and surprisingly it also reminds me of another favourite, my early 90s (E30) BMW 325i.  The controls (steering, clutch, shifter) have a BMW-like weight to them, which is surprising on such a small car where everything is usually finger light.  I like that!  In the UK, my wife owned a Fiat 500, which was quite a fun, endearing little car.  However, although the MINI would have to give second best to the Fiat for passenger and trunk space, the MINI has vastly superior ride, handling and performance, so I can accept that compromise.  Also, it's the only one in town, which is quite nice compared to the fleet of Civics around (including some Sis).     

The only proviso is that I promised my wife that I would keep this one for at least 3 years.  Provided that I don't find practicality too much of an issue, I could see myself trading it in for a Cooper S in a few years time.  140mph and 0-100km/h in less than 7 seconds in a MINI sounds pretty hilarious but from what I read, the Cooper S suffers from more engine-related reliability issues and I would need to be looking at a 2012/2013 Cooper S (currently around $14-$15k) for the updated engine that supposedly addressed these issues.  Other options would be a Toyota 86 or a Focus ST/Golf GTI if more practicality is required (or a truck if that's still an itch that I need to scratch by then)!

Anyway, I'm happy now to own a vehicle again that makes me smile every time I sit in it and go for drives that aren't strictly necessary after the kids have gone to bed (I have not owned a car like that for a while)!  My wife after some incomprehension as to why I wanted to change the Civic and a massive Fiat 500 fan after borrowing it the other evening grudgingly admits that it's the next best thing to a Fiat 500, so i guess she likes it!  Anyway, thanks for the advice and patience over the last year or so and here's a pic!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:16:02 am by BritWRX »

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
Re: My new car...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 10:21:37 am »
 :thumbup:
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 11:06:12 am »
Congrats. I hope you have more luck with yours than I've had with mine! Fun cars but they can be a giant pain as well.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 01:23:31 pm »
Congratulations and good luck!  :thumbup:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 01:39:30 pm »
Boss!
Another members Wife (Topgun) still has hers (Cooper S Ragtop) after six years.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 01:48:48 pm »
Congrats. I hope you have more luck with yours than I've had with mine! Fun cars but they can be a giant pain as well.

Thanks.  What issues have you had with yours?  General MINI or specific Cooper S issues?  Those that I have spoken with with regular Coopers have had generally positive experiences.  Your other vehicle (GTI) is a personal favourite of mine too.  How do they compare and which do you prefer?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 01:52:51 pm »
My GF loves her 05 S after a year and a half... it's a fun little car!  Congrats & enjoy!!

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 02:00:20 pm »
Congratulations! Definitely a fun car  :D

It's not easy to find fun FWD cars, this and the GTI come to mind.

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 02:31:05 pm »
Congratulations! Definitely a fun car  :D

It's not easy to find fun FWD cars, this and the GTI come to mind.

Thanks.  Fiesta and Focus ST possibly too, although the 4 door Fiesta looks a little frumpy compared to the 2 door available in Europe!

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 03:15:32 pm »

Thanks.  What issues have you had with yours?  General MINI or specific Cooper S issues?  Those that I have spoken with with regular Coopers have had generally positive experiences.  Your other vehicle (GTI) is a personal favourite of mine too.  How do they compare and which do you prefer?

I've had some S specific issues (timing chain, thermostat) and some general ones. The body control module had some corrosion which made the lights go haywire. $700 part + reprogramming. Issues with the brake wear sensors. Lots of CELs that come and go. A million speaks and rattles too.

The Mini is definitely more fun than the GTI. It's likely a touch slower but it doesn't really feel that way. The handling and steering is excellent. The GTI is much more comfortable and quiet but still handles really well and is obviously quick. Personally I prefer the GTI at this point but if the Mini was new I might prefer it.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 05:54:43 pm »
Congrats!  Cute little beast.

Shall I move this to the Show n Shine section?   :)

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 09:42:19 pm »
 :fiver:

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 02:28:02 am »
 :skid:
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 09:04:54 am »
Congrats!  Cute little beast.

Shall I move this to the Show n Shine section?   :)

Sure.  Why not! :)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 10:07:40 am »
Congrats on the new Mini.  When I was car shopping a couple of years ago I was at the BMW/Mini dealer test driving a 2 series.  I had some time to kill so I figured nows my chance to try the new Mini (this was the first year of the makeover) and drove a Cooper with the turbo 3 cylinder engine.  I've never driven a Mini before so my expectations were rather low.  I have to say it was by far the most surprising car I've ever driven, in a good way.

It had more space than I thought it would, it was comfortable, and handled well on the highway.  Plus that base 3 cylinder engine is a gem with plenty of power to make it a hot hatch.  Of course it was a hoot to take in corners. 

I couldn't get past the reliability issues Mini seems to have and having the dealer 2 hours away sealed its fate. 

I hope it can be a great little car for you and keeps the buyers itch at bay for at least 2.5 years until you look for something else.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 10:16:34 am »

I owned an '06 for a while, non-S hardtop like yours. Great car, but lots of rattles developed on the interior, and the power steering pump went. It's an expensive fix, and happens quite commonly.

Lots of fun to drive, and 6.9L/100km is about right if you're in the city a lot. I regularly did 5.5-6.0 highway with the 5-spd manual. Remember it REQUIRES premium fuel.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 02:43:50 pm »
Congrats on the new Mini.  When I was car shopping a couple of years ago I was at the BMW/Mini dealer test driving a 2 series.  I had some time to kill so I figured nows my chance to try the new Mini (this was the first year of the makeover) and drove a Cooper with the turbo 3 cylinder engine.  I've never driven a Mini before so my expectations were rather low.  I have to say it was by far the most surprising car I've ever driven, in a good way.

It had more space than I thought it would, it was comfortable, and handled well on the highway.  Plus that base 3 cylinder engine is a gem with plenty of power to make it a hot hatch.  Of course it was a hoot to take in corners. 

I couldn't get past the reliability issues Mini seems to have and having the dealer 2 hours away sealed its fate. 

I hope it can be a great little car for you and keeps the buyers itch at bay for at least 2.5 years until you look for something else.

Just out of interest, I have yet to see a "new" MINI.  How did you find the styling?  I really like the idea of a Cooper S in the future, I've heard great things about how the new MINIs drive and they probably have the best mechanical package yet with the new engines and I believe the one in the Cooper S being the same as you would get in a new BMW 320 and yet, a lot of the appeal of the MINI is in the cheeky looks.  A bit more cabin space and a bigger trunk would be most welcome but in pictures, the front and rear lights look comedically large, the front overhang looks a bit too long and there's an ugly chin spoiler which seems to jut out too far.  For this reason, I would probably lean towards a late Cooper S version of my car when the time comes with the supposedly improved N18 version of the Peugeot-based engine.  Does anyone know what model year this "new" engine was introduced?  It's funny that the Peugeot engine seems to be the weakest link, as Peugeot engines were pretty robust back in the day.  My early 90s Peugeot had collapsing rear suspension, a multitude of electrical woes, leaks and falling apart trim but the engine still revved sweetly to 7k all day and was still going strong at 260k!

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 07:38:18 pm »
Styling wise I thought it was instantly recognized as a Mini.  Sure it has grown in size but it's still smaller than a new Golf so in my eyes still a subcompact.  I'm not a Mini purest so the added size is a good thing as long as it still drives like a go cart, which it does.

From my understanding the interior got the biggest changes and became more mainstream in its styling and functionality.  I have sat in the older ones and found the new one to be more ergonically put together.  It's still kept some Mini quirkiness but in a way that makes more sense.

If you were looking at getting a different Mini in a few years I think I would be looking for a John Works model.  The S is fun and all but if we're dreaming of the future might as well dream big.