Author Topic: Northern Exposure: Weird and Wacky Recalls  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Northern Exposure: Weird and Wacky Recalls
« on: May 08, 2013, 06:30:14 am »

Recalls can be a life-or-death matter but some automaker blunders are so bizarre that we can't help but shake our heads and wonder what they were thinking.

Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Northern Exposure: Weird and Wacky Recalls
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 09:47:37 am »
Interesting how 'Merican companies are curiously absent from this list (except for the Caravan).

I hate to add to the "you omitted 'x' from the list"...but there are much more ridiculous recalls out there and this list seems to bash the imports.  Are we forgetting Ford's recent "Don't you dare drive your 1.6T Escape" or Chrysler's drive-shaft breaking, or the fuel line that seizes and causes the engine to stall at any speed? 

Every manufacturer has recalls...some funnier or more worrisome than others - but we must be careful not to exude any bias against brands that are commonly believed to be reliable just because they have faltered at times.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 10:31:47 am »
Funny article - thanks for the comic relief! Haven't heard of a few of those!

^ Pretty sure this was just for entertainment - I'm sure there's tons of recalls out there that could be made into a funny format such as these - its just a time waster - like Minesweeper - no need to get all paranoid about which manfs show up in this article.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 12:23:33 pm »
Interesting how 'Merican companies are curiously absent from this list (except for the Caravan).

I hate to add to the "you omitted 'x' from the list"...but there are much more ridiculous recalls out there and this list seems to bash the imports.  Are we forgetting Ford's recent "Don't you dare drive your 1.6T Escape" or Chrysler's drive-shaft breaking, or the fuel line that seizes and causes the engine to stall at any speed? 

Every manufacturer has recalls...some funnier or more worrisome than others - but we must be careful not to exude any bias against brands that are commonly believed to be reliable just because they have faltered at times.

I don't think there's any brand bias by Justin, just these are the ones he found most bizarre - and it's not like he could actually look through all of them, so he had to go by ones that stuck out in his memory from all the sued car research he's done over the years.

I agree the Escape 1.6T recall for the risk that it might burst into flames recall was memorable, and didn't it get recalled twice for 'bursting into flames' risk? once, i get that it can happen, but twice?
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 12:37:47 pm »
 ??? ::) ................................ :P ..let us just say he had an ORFFF day......... :-\
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 11:22:48 pm »
An enjoyable article.  I thought I should point out that the self-starting Subarus would be no laughing matter if they're parked in an attached garage.
And some cretins think I hate cars.