Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Honda Accord Sedan V6 Touring  (Read 16025 times)

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Honda Accord Sedan V6 Touring
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2013, 08:58:13 pm »
   It seems to me that a strut brace might be the easiest and lightest way of improving strut tower stiffness needed or not. It probably would effectively double it in hard cornering with the load on the outer tower...by adding the stiffness of the inner tower which would be lighter loaded. At least if what I prceive as the reason for it, is correct.
   Some sportier Accents (if you will) had strut tower braces. What difference it made is unknown...the regular models had none.

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2013, 12:33:45 am »
I know this is about the Accord but this is  the response about my comment :
Awesome power awesome milage but just a list of issues my '11 Sonata has had:
Dash gauges replaced due to blown lcd screen,srs computer replaced,tie rods, sway links,chronically clunky suspension though I'm told every thing is tight (it sounds like a 10 year old beater going over bumps etc slowly upon higher speeds it quietens down) trunk edges kept contacting sides of body when shutting and chipping badly  ( i always pull it with a mild tug from the handle) the tail lights 'points' on the rear fenders were rubbing the paint off to bare metal, trunk had  rust pitting under the paint just before the weather stripping meets, was fixed twice paint keep's coming off and its rusting in '3' 2 mm spots (awaiting another paint repair) car is very very sensitive to the wind with proper pressures, alignment etc,NUMEROUS creeks and rattles the worse from the a pillar where it meets the dash 3 fixes still sounds like styrofoam rubbing in the summer in winter it makes cracking popping sounds like theres a spot weld missing somewhere in the cowl etc. Theres a vibration that comes and goes seems to be there most in 6th gear.
car starter is flakey, engine is very noisy (could barely hear the engine when new or the gdi) now it sounds like a tractor in the cabin, engine rattles on deceleration when it down shifts at about 45 kmh  .
chronic e brake seizing problems and dragging fixed 3 times, now e brake  pedals loose, brakes release with a clunk some days it doesn't engage tight enough most days now.
My last Hyundai I think, my first was a 85 Pony I never had these issues. Have had 4 Hyundais before, HMC Canada couldn't give a rats a$$ about me and the problems this car has had nothing but dealer maintenance because everything was free up to 80,000 kms even wipers...
I have bad luck with alot of stuff, my LG washer wont give hot water anymore after a year, and it squeaks when spinning.
If I found a pot of gold, I think there would be a tax collector sitting on it.  ::)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2013, 09:31:36 am »
...I have bad luck with alot of stuff, my LG washer wont give hot water anymore after a year, and it squeaks when spinning.
If I found a pot of gold, I think there would be a tax collector sitting on it.  ::)

Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Looks like you have two options:
1) go for a well established brand with solid reputation for build quality and reliability (Toyota/Lexus)
2) buy a POS beater for next to nothing so you know rattles and creaks are part of the package  ;D (kidding)

My love affair with Huyndai entered its new phase now. After having two ('07 Santa fe and '07 Entourage), with another two currently owned by extended family, I see why they are offered at a discount - they are built to last while under warranty, and you have to trade it before it expires if you want to get any money for it. By no means are Hyundais bad cars, they are just not the top tier yet.

This Accord is priced very aggressively and the very well equipped 4-cyl EX-L model can be had for a hair under $30k. Hyundai will have to step up their game in terms of durability now rather than stuffing their cars with all possible gizmos if they want to "join the club" as it seems the "big" boys are resourceful enough to counter Hyundai's packaging and marketing trickery to stay ahead.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:35:25 am by whaddaiknow »

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2013, 09:42:38 am »
While this V6 engine is pretty good, it is starting to get dated.  It's time for Honda to redo their entire V6 lineup in all Honda/Acura products.  I can't see them adding DI to this engine without redoing their entire lineup.  They need to come up to the times a little bit by having a timing chain versus a belt that needs to be replaced every 100,000kms.  That is not a cheap service and certainly increases total cost of ownership.

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2013, 10:06:08 am »
I hope the Accord has an auto-light function or some other safety design that mitigates the risk of me driving in dark stealth mode on a winter's night invisible to all other drivers. Lack of this would be more of a deal breaker than any engine or transmission choice.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2013, 10:21:46 am »
Sorry to hear of your troubles bigjodyg - I'd certainly be disappointed if I were in your shoes. But my experience with my '11 Sonata could not be more different.  Like my Altima and Maxima before it, I have had zero problems, and everything is tight after nearly two years.  Aside from the well publicized left-pull issue that afflicted some early 11s, I haven't really heard of many widespread problems with the Sonata - and I have been pretty active on Sonata boards where people gripe about every little thing they're not happy with.

My love affair with Huyndai entered its new phase now. After having two ('07 Santa fe and '07 Entourage), with another two currently owned by extended family, I see why they are offered at a discount - they are built to last while under warranty, and you have to trade it before it expires if you want to get any money for it. By no means are Hyundais bad cars, they are just not the top tier yet.

I'm pretty confident in saying that 2013 Hyundais are better across the board that 2007 Hyundais.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:26:13 am by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2013, 10:37:42 am »
I hope the Accord has an auto-light function or some other safety design that mitigates the risk of me driving in dark stealth mode on a winter's night invisible to all other drivers. Lack of this would be more of a deal breaker than any engine or transmission choice.

it does

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2013, 11:08:12 am »
I'm pretty confident in saying that 2013 Hyundais are better across the board that 2007 Hyundais.

Agreed. But so are the Honda's and Toyota's. Many may say that the Japanese are resting on their lawrels but I hardly think that's the case. The latest Camry and Accord are true testaments to that. The Civic overhaul just one year into the new model speaks to that too. Just last night I sat in the new Avalon and was VERY IMPRESSED. Getting back into my 3-series felt like a major downgrade so luxurious and comfortable the interior of the new Avalon is.

So, while no question that the Hyundais today are better than 5 years ago, the Japanese do just enough to stay that little bit ahead.

My in-laws keep buying the Santa Fe's (planning to replace their current one with the new model this year) but their main arguments are:
1) "I can't get anything else for the same money" with the same level of content
2) "I trade in when the car is still under warranty and get a good deal because I stick with the same brand"

They are not enthusiasts or nit-pickers and couldn't care less about the steering feel or the quality of the leather. Bottomline forms 95% of their decision making. But I can clearly see how quickly and consistently the car deteriorates so I'm done with Hyundai's for now. It's been 5 Hyundais in the family in the last 5 years, so it's a formed opinion by now.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:10:54 am by whaddaiknow »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2013, 11:28:54 am »
. It's been 5 Hyundais in the family in the last 5 years, so it's a formed opinion by now.

Yes, it's a formed opinion - but it is also quite dated - 2007 is 6 model years ago.  But you're more than entitled to it.  I'm not trying to sell you a Hyundai.

I'm not sure that it is accurate to say that, today, the Japanese are consistently ahead of Hyundai across the board - though that may be the case for any number of specific models.  I would rank my Sonata ahead of the previous Accord (a car I know well - my Dad drives one) and at least a couple car mags agreed with that assessment in head-to-head comparisons when the '11 Sonata first came out. 

It would surprise me not in the least that the new Camry and Accord have surpassed it - if your new entry into the highly competitive midsize segment doesn't debut near the top, that's a big stumble.  The Sonata, while not an 'old' model, is now one of the segment seniors.  Camcordima all have new models.  I would expect newer entries to be better - not because they are Japanese, but because they are newer designs.  But while nobody would have looked at the '07 Sonata as a serious competitor to the Accord (to use your very dated touchstone reference point) that is simply no longer the case. 

Avalon?  I'm sure it's very nice.  And I'm sure the even older Genesis sedan would stack up very well against it.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2013, 11:41:42 am »
. It's been 5 Hyundais in the family in the last 5 years, so it's a formed opinion by now.

Yes, it's a formed opinion - but it is also quite dated - 2007 is 6 model years ago.  But you're more than entitled to it.  I'm not trying to sell you a Hyundai.

I'm not sure that it is accurate to say that, today, the Japanese are consistently ahead of Hyundai across the board - though that may be the case for any number of specific models.  I would rank my Sonata ahead of the previous Accord (a car I know well - my Dad drives one) and at least a couple car mags agreed with that assessment in head-to-head comparisons when the '11 Sonata first came out. 

It would surprise me not in the least that the new Camry and Accord have surpassed it - if your new entry into the highly competitive midsize segment doesn't debut near the top, that's a big stumble.  The Sonata, while not an 'old' model, is now one of the segment seniors.  Camcordima all have new models.  I would expect newer entries to be better - not because they are Japanese, but because they are newer designs.  But while nobody would have looked at the '07 Sonata as a serious competitor to the Accord (to use your very dated touchstone reference point) that is simply no longer the case. 

Avalon?  I'm sure it's very nice.  And I'm sure the even older Genesis sedan would stack up very well against it.

The latest Hyundai in the family is the 2010 model, not 2007. So I am talking about bery recent history. And what Hyundai did for the Santa Fe in the 2010 model year (mind you, it was just a mid-cycle refresh):
1) Deleted the cool dual exhaust (that my 2007 had)
2) deleted the roof rack and mud flaps.
3) added blue tooth that doesn't work very well
4) Changed the wheel size so my in-laws had to sell their old set and buy a new one.
5) bumped up the engine from 3.3l to 3.5l and put the 6-speed tranny.

Other than that, it's the same car.

if your new entry into the highly competitive midsize segment doesn't debut near the top, that's a big stumble

Tell it to GM and Cryco with their Malibu et al finishing smack at the bottom of the pack right off the bat  ;D

In the reviews? Maybe. But subjectively, the old Genesis won't hold the candle to the new Avalon. This poster would not even go back to the Hyundai dealership for a second look at the (old) Genesis after seeing the new Avalon. And Genesis IS a good car.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2013, 11:59:15 am »
The latest Hyundai in the family is the 2010 model, not 2007. So I am talking about bery recent history. And what Hyundai did for the Santa Fe in the 2010 model year (mind you, it was just a mid-cycle refresh

Yes - that's the point - it was a refresh, not a new model.  And you're still out of date - though not quite as badly so.  The Santa Fe is all new from the ground up for 2013.  I'm not sure what the refreshed 2010 has to tell us about the competitiveness of the new 2013 in today's market.

Tell it to GM and Cryco with their Malibu et al finishing smack at the bottom of the pack right off the bat  ;D

Now don't go riling up the slappies!  ;D

In the reviews? Maybe. But subjectively, the old Genesis won't hold the candle to the new Avalon. This poster would not even go back to the Hyundai dealership for a second look at the (old) Genesis after seeing the new Avalon. And Genesis IS a good car.

No subjective opinion can be wrong.  By definition, it varies in accordance with the individual.  Were I to state that, subectively, the new Avalon doesn't hold a candle to the old Genesis, I'd be just as right as you are (assuming I had actually driven both).

I will now try to (belatedly) end the Hyundai drift.  :)  The Accord rocks!

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2013, 12:08:57 pm »
...The Accord rocks!

That is difficult to disagree with. If one can overlook some design omissions like split folding seats and such (I don't think in my entire life I ever had to do that in any of the sedans I owned), the Accord is the new benchmark and great value to boot.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2013, 12:35:43 pm »

it does

I can't believe this is  not standard on all cars.  More important than stability control, if people can't see you, seems like that is more important.  Just an opinion

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2013, 12:38:11 pm »

it does

I can't believe this is  not standard on all cars.  More important than stability control, if people can't see you, seems like that is more important.  Just an opinion

:iagree: Ive had a few close calls on dark, snowy morning with morons that couldnt be bothered to turn their lights on.
Lighten up Francis.....

Northernridge

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2013, 12:45:01 pm »

it does

:iagree: Ive had a few close calls on dark, snowy morning with morons that couldnt be bothered to turn their lights on.

Funny this. I was driving home the other day just after sunset and was passing a guy who didn't have his headlights on. As I went by I poked the horn to get his attention then pointed to the lights trying to let him know. But I guess I gestured poorly because he gave me the finger an took off.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:34:41 pm by Northernridge »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2013, 12:51:56 pm »

it does

Funny this. I was driving home the other day just after sun set and was passing a guy who didm't have his headlights on. As I went buy I poked the horn to get his attention then pointed to the lights trying to let him know. But I guess I gestured poorly because he gave me the finger an took off.

This is not the internationally accepted gesture for "turn on your facking headlights douchebag".......just to let you know  ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:07:21 pm by Fobroader »

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2013, 01:48:09 pm »
The V6 price premium in HP dollars is 34.57943925233645 per HP more than the I-4 vs V6 for the extra 107 ponies and another gear. Minus DI for the V6 also (hey have to have some to add next year)
They've priced it like a diesel option in North America. Take it someone got confused.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2013, 01:58:51 pm »
... 8) :o 8) :o ::) her headlites are FULLY turning me on too..................
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:01:48 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2013, 06:12:29 pm »

The latest Hyundai in the family is the 2010 model, not 2007. So I am talking about bery recent history.

"Beis-bol been bery bery good to me." ;)
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2013, 08:10:33 pm »

The latest Hyundai in the family is the 2010 model, not 2007. So I am talking about bery recent history.

"Beis-bol been bery bery good to me." ;)

The "b" is next to the "v" on the keyboard.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata