Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Honda Ridgeline Sport  (Read 13795 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Honda Ridgeline Sport
« on: March 22, 2013, 06:28:45 am »

The Honda Ridgeline has always courted controversy with its pickup configuration on unibody construction and unconventional looks.

Read More...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Honda Ridgeline Sport
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 07:29:12 am »
I'm going to say it just because:

As useless as a FWD truck...   Oh wait...   :rofl2:

Seriously, this is probably ok for 90% of the people out there that just want a truck, who hardly use any towing or payload carrying capabilities.

Honestly, I liked the Explorer Sport Trac better than the Ridgeline in the looks department.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 07:56:37 am »
Is this one still around?
Anyway, it's as much a truck for contractors as most SUVs are for urban commuters!

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 08:35:07 am »
Is this one still around?
Anyway, it's as much a truck for contractors as most SUVs are for urban commuters!

My sentiments exactly. I thought they stopped making these considering how few I see on the road.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 09:05:03 am »
i'll defend the "truck"
and i think this review is pretty bang on.
unless you're some construction guy / girl or need to tow something really large... this is enough truck. 

My dad has one and i've taking to a couple 24 hour mountain bike events towing a good size trailer.
gas mileage sucked but the ride is very comfortable and stable.  My wife loved it because it was so well planted and she hates truck.

I'll admit it's not the greatest thing to look at but it is genious in utility.
the interior design is brilliant.  The thing towed fine and we drove this thing around some very hilly areas.   It drove really nice down the highway and i was hard pressed to know the trailer was behind us.

Personally I wouldn't buy one, only because for me if i'd get a truck - I want a 6 foot box.
For my dad, 5 feet is good enough.   He used this to tow a medium size covered utility trailer with 2 very large and heavy Harley's.

What's will be interesting is i've read the 2014 will undergo big changes.
Honda will address the look and price to be more competitive and try to retain the handling.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 09:30:10 am »
Good review. People love to hate on the Ridgeline but I don't know why. I guess the styling could see some improvements which might expand its appeal.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 09:36:53 am »
I've always kind of liked these, but it could have been better. If they had've done something like what Chevy did on the Avalanche and made a flexible-length box, it would have been more useful for carrying large/long things. As it is, it drives better than most pick-ups, gets better gas mileage, and offers more than enough off-road ability for most. But most of my neandertal north-american-truck-buying friends scoff at a 'Japanese' truck and the fact that it 'only' has a V6, even though this could run circles around most of their trucks on the road...where it spends 98% of its time.

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 10:07:32 am »
It surly is enough of a truck for most uses.  I was considering the Ridgeline when looking for a truck, but couldn't find a clean example at the right price  :(

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 10:08:26 am »
I sort of like the design.

However, I just configured one on Honda.ca and the hard tonneau cover is extra at an additional cost of $2,425. Ouch.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 10:51:58 am »
I sort of like the design.

However, I just configured one on Honda.ca and the hard tonneau cover is extra at an additional cost of $2,425. Ouch.

LOL. There must be aftermarket alternatives, although I suppose the design of the Ridgeline makes tonneau covers more complex. You can get really nice ones for domestic trucks for around $1k though.

Offline sbtatter

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Acura, Ford,
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 10:53:50 am »
When this came out way back when, I wanted to like it, but the styling was to tough to swallow, The mileage is pretty bad as well. The interior reminds me of the Honda Fit, excellent. If they would make it look better, ger better mileage and cheapen the price a bit, i'd be interested!

Northernridge

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 10:58:59 am »
We have an 09 Ridgeline with about 90,000km and it has been flawless, I've also owned 5 full size pickups including a couple 3/4 tons and have towed a lot with all the vehicles...have been offroad in them all as well. The review here is spot on.

The capacity is what it is, less than full size trucks but the Ridgeline does what Honda claims it can. The interior is nothing but hard plastic yet super functional. I won't defend the looks (it is pretty ugly) nor the fuel mileage but the durability is better than any other truck I've owned – that means all other full sized trucks I've owned have deteriorated faster from new condition than the Honda. The Honda is also by far the best handling and riding truck I've owned.

I notice that the Ridgeline remains a top safety pick among trucks even though it is...what 7 or 8 years old now?

The fact that it hasn't fallen further behind after being unchanged for so long is either a testament to how good it is or how poorly regular trucks have evolved.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 11:07:06 am »
Im a truck guy, love trucks, most handy thing to have around the house. I really like the Ridgeline, its a fantastic vehicle, no, its not a 1/2 ton truck, but most of the urban cowboys I see running around with flawless, unused truck boxes and never have towed anything, its more than enough truck. My biggest gripe with it is the V6, low towing capacity and no 4Low option. I wish they built a Ridgeline HD or Superduty or something that has a little more cojones and with a higher towing capacity. The 4low, I use it to back the trailer into uphill parking spots and getting out of rained out campgrounds.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 01:49:08 pm »
Im a truck guy, love trucks, most handy thing to have around the house. I really like the Ridgeline, its a fantastic vehicle,

I second this. I personally think trucks with a tonneau and/or cap are more utilitarian than minivans. I have a 1/2 ton with a 6 foot box, a suv and a hatch. But I prefer the Ridgeline to any of those as I think its the best of both worlds; utility in a small package that drives like a car and is easy to get around small radii street corners and in and out of driveways on narrow streets with on-street parking.

BUT I just can't see past those "flying butresses" - literally - and that sacked the purchase for me. Sometimes I ask myself, were those blind spots really that bad?

The 2014 is tenatively #4 on the next replacement vehicle list - if it retains everything the current is but lets me see out the back it will be a tough decision.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 02:17:51 pm »
i look at the ridgeline as an el camino, baha or rampage... but rather than being based on a sports car or whatever, its based on an suv.

its not quite a pick up, but has some of it's capabilities.

nothing wrong with that. but for someone who is actually looking at "real" pick-ups, its not quite what they want/need. but as many have mentioned, so many buyers who think they need a real truck are mistaken.

to me, the only reason to get this over a ford or dodge would be if the mileage was much better... since its not, i don't see the point.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 02:29:17 pm »
Ridgeline would be just about perfect for my next vehicle... only drawback as far as I'm concerned is the high fuel economy...

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 02:42:05 pm »
to me, the only reason to get this over a ford or dodge would be if the mileage was much better... since its not, i don't see the point.

It's more reasonably-sized than a full-size Ford or Dodge, for one. Since I've got kids, I need something that can seat 4 people comfortably, baby seats and all, but I travel quite a bit to work, both on the highway and in the city... I don't see myself driving around town with a huge crew-cab pick-up truck... but with a Ridgeline? Definitely. Perfect for the occasional Home Depot run, or hauling my trailer around full of gravel, firewood, etc. And it's also perfect to drive my whole family around.

My biggest issue with the Ridgeline, and the Pilot for that matter, is the high fuel consumption. If Honda brings back the Ridgeline after this year, they need to improve the fuel economy of the drivetrain, IMO.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 02:52:57 pm »
I know GM has decided to end production for the Avalanche and I thought Honda was stopping the Ridgeline too?
Does anyone know for sure?

Aside from the side sail on it, my biggest gripe with it was the trunk under the bed floor. Once loaded and you end up with a flat, it's a PITA to have to unload everything, fix the tire and then reload. Of course if you never put that much there, I guess it's a non issue.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 03:08:21 pm »
I know GM has decided to end production for the Avalanche and I thought Honda was stopping the Ridgeline too?
Does anyone know for sure?

i can't say for sure, but as mentioned... every search i've done on the next generation Ridgeline states the same.   the 2014 will hold it's car like handling but they're going to do something about the exterior design and price it more competitively.   I really think Honda sells enough of these to make money so i don't see them taking it away. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 03:20:27 pm »
Yeah they probably don't need to sell a whole lot of them to be profitable. It's development is partially paid for my huge sales for the Pilot, MDX, and Odyssey.