Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1067100 times)

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #4180 on: May 24, 2016, 10:06:48 pm »
I agree with quad - the $200 option is the way I would go.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4181 on: May 25, 2016, 12:37:06 pm »
Did the first of the Kelso MTB Series yesterday. OMG.

Got cramp in both calves at the beginning of the third lap, really didn't want a DNF so just kept pedaling!  The first half of the course (time wise) climbs 165ft in ten minutes, holy frick it's hard, even harder with cramp! ha ha.  Anyway I finished, which was my goal.  I think it was about 1hr 12mins over about 18Km.  Got to be one of the toughest things I have ever done, back again next week!  ;D :o

P.S.  Tuesday's race was after riding about 600km on the motorbike too, so my legs were already shot.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4182 on: May 25, 2016, 12:54:39 pm »
^^^ Way to go bro!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4183 on: May 25, 2016, 02:18:00 pm »
Did the first of the Kelso MTB Series yesterday. OMG.

:winner: :thumbup:

Great job. I raced mtn bike many, many years ago and know how hard it is. As long as you finish you did a great job.

Amazing how fast some of those guys and girls are.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #4184 on: May 25, 2016, 02:57:02 pm »
Running injuries are forcing me to consider a new sport to take up my time while I heal, and I've decided to buy a bike.  I haven't ridden one since I was a kid so had no idea the vast number of options available nowadays (and the crazy amounts one could spend on a bike!).  I'm hoping to find some guidance on what I should be looking for as a beginner.  Here are some details:

Height 6'3"
Weight 250lbs
I have a big butt so a skinny seat just won't do.

Will mostly ride on roads and gravel trails. 
Mostly flat terrain.
Plan to ride 75-100k per week

What brands should I be looking at?  What is a fair amount to spend?  I'd rather not spend more than $500.  With the details I've posted above, I guess a hybrid bike is the way to go?

Thanks in advance!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4185 on: May 25, 2016, 02:58:03 pm »
Stop the insanity! Previous best calendar month was 1,617 kms (July 2013).

Can't stop now. Going to push for a 2,000 kms month which I believe is possible as long as the weather cooperates.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4186 on: May 25, 2016, 03:03:34 pm »

Can't stop now. Going to push for a 2,000 kms month which I believe is possible as long as the weather cooperates.

Go for it!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: May 25, 2016, 03:12:39 pm »
Running injuries are forcing me to consider a new sport to take up my time while I heal, and I've decided to buy a bike.  I haven't ridden one since I was a kid so had no idea the vast number of options available nowadays (and the crazy amounts one could spend on a bike!).  I'm hoping to find some guidance on what I should be looking for as a beginner.  Here are some details:

Height 6'3"
Weight 250lbs

Mostly flat terrain.

What brands should I be looking at?  What is a fair amount to spend?  I'd rather not spend more than $500.  With the details I've posted above, I guess a hybrid bike is the way to go?

Thanks in advance!

A lot of runners turn to cycling to heal.

I'd suggest a hybrid bike, no suspension of any kind and 700 x 28 or 32 wide tires. If you think you will be riding a lot of gravel trails, go with the 32's.

If you can, buy from a good bike shop. They should (hopefully) be able to make sure the bike fits you properly which is very important.

Check out brands like Kona, Devinci, Giant, Trek. They all should have something in your price range and all are very similar for parts.

Going from $500 to $800 opens up a lot more options and some better quality parts. But can understand why you wouldn't want to spend that much.

Once you find a couple of bikes you like, come back and report so we can give more opinions on them.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #4188 on: May 25, 2016, 03:20:10 pm »
Thanks, quad!  Will do. 

There are a couple of bike shops here in Regina that I'll check out, but there should be more options in Winnipeg that I'll look at when I'm there next week.  I guess the other thing I should mention is that I plan to transport the bike back and forth between Regina and the peg every two weeks!

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: May 25, 2016, 04:18:08 pm »

Wow, that's 51 kilometres more than I've done so far this year.  :o Do it!
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #4190 on: May 25, 2016, 06:00:21 pm »
Thanks guys, going to try and get one done next week.

My vote is for the $200 option. The $300 option would be better for somebody doing competitive riding/racing.

Will be interested in hearing how the fitting went and any improvements you noticed post adjustment.  Also think that is money well spent as fit is the most important part of cycling.  Just think how much faster you will be while riding over to get that butter tart(s).

I agree with quad - the $200 option is the way I would go.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #4191 on: May 25, 2016, 06:24:53 pm »

Luckily for you, bike seats are changeable.  Most bikes come with those flat, skinny seats; don't discount a model based on that, because you will be able to buy a different seat for it.

As Quad suggested, a hybrid is the way to go for your needs.  That's what I have, and it's more than adequate for the limited amount of road riding that I do.

Lots of choices out there!  Happy shopping.   :D

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #4192 on: May 25, 2016, 06:25:38 pm »

You are a nutjob.  But we love you nonetheless.   ;D

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: May 25, 2016, 06:44:14 pm »

Height 6'3"
Weight 250lbs

Mostly flat terrain.

Thanks in advance!

A lot of runners turn to cycling to heal.

I'd suggest a hybrid bike, no suspension of any kind and 700 x 28 or 32 wide tires. If you think you will be riding a lot of gravel trails, go with the 32's.

If you can, buy from a good bike shop. They should (hopefully) be able to make sure the bike fits you properly which is very important.

Check out brands like Kona, Devinci, Giant, Trek. They all should have something in your price range and all are very similar for parts.

Going from $500 to $800 opens up a lot more options and some better quality parts. But can understand why you wouldn't want to spend that much.

Once you find a couple of bikes you like, come back and report so we can give more opinions on them.

What he said.  All of it.  And since I traditionally post pics of my departed Trek at times like this...

I replaced the OE 32s with 28s and felt like the bike was a little quicker and handled a little better on the road, which was probably mostly in my head, but there you are.  Most of my trails look like the pic below which obviously won't challenge the 28s much.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: May 28, 2016, 05:35:45 pm »
Still chipping away and almost there. If the weather is good in the morning you should hear a big YIPPEE around 10am.  ;D

If the heat/humidity keep up like this I might just start taking my water intravenously to avoid dehydration. Lost count of how much water I've drank over the last week.

At least its easy to decide what to wear in the morning. So much better than picking what 3 or 4 layers to wear today.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: May 29, 2016, 12:00:32 pm »
And with two days to spare. :banana:

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #4196 on: May 29, 2016, 12:18:51 pm »

Will you pass the drug test?  ;)

Seriously, congratulations!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: May 29, 2016, 12:22:57 pm »

Awesome, well done!  :thumbup:

I just crossed 1,000km and I'm okay with that.  ;D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: May 30, 2016, 11:39:32 am »

Great job Derek!

Offline YURKBC

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: May 30, 2016, 02:52:40 pm »

Height 6'3"
Weight 250lbs

Mostly flat terrain.

Thanks in advance!

I concur with the previous posters recommending buying a reputable brand. I recommend checking pawn shops and kijiji. Lots of good bikes there in decent condition and at a decent price. For $500 you would be able to find a bike that retailed for $800 to $2,000 (depending on age and condition). Keep in mind that high quality parts and components are designed to withstand a lot of heavy use and abuse, a lot more than occasional trail riding. So, you should be safe buying a used bike.
One makes a living by what one gets; one makes a life by what one gives