Author Topic: Alcoa, Phinergy Show Aluminum-Air EV In Montreal  (Read 3199 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Alcoa, Phinergy Show Aluminum-Air EV In Montreal
« on: June 04, 2014, 12:57:40 pm »

Aluminum-air battery could extend range by 1,600 kilometers, but there's a catch

Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Alcoa, Phinergy Show Aluminum-Air EV In Montreal
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 01:24:48 pm »
This seems to be viable as a range extender from what I've read if not a full EV. Those listed figures are impressive and if viable would definitely change the view of E.V.'s

We've seen a lot of potential but few make it to market. I'm on the "show me the money" side and will believe it when and if it becomes available to joe public at a reasonable price.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 01:20:25 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 03:29:07 pm »
It looks like this system uses aluminum as fuel.  It would be interesting to see how much energy is used to make the aluminum plates this system uses, and compare that to the performance of other electric cars.  It could be that aluminum is a much better way to store energy than hydrogen.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 04:13:15 pm »
Metal-air batteries have been around for a while. Ford was playing with zinc-air batteries at one point. The problems are they aren't rechargeable, the metal oxide waste has to be dealt with, and the plate replacement costs.

It's difficult to say how this technology will develop.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 05:09:15 pm »
I'm not opposed to this....but please tell me how much it costs to replace the aluminum plates and if the shape of the plate lends itself to a DIYer.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 05:29:00 pm »
Does the battery produce enough power to keep the distilled water liquid in winter conditions?
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 08:36:59 pm »
I'm not opposed to this....but please tell me how much it costs to replace the aluminum plates and if the shape of the plate lends itself to a DIYer.

I'm wondering about the DIY aspect too.  I build stuff out of aluminum every day and can easily make scape aluminum sheet into any shape I want. 

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 06:39:01 am »
The idea is intriguing but the aluminum is being used as fuel and it takes a great deal of energy to create.  There was a project at Queen's on aluminum batteries 25 years ago.

What is the storage capacity in kWatt hrs of this battery assuming new water is added as required?  What are the emissions like if the aluminum is being broken down? What does the battery weight?

Maybe aluminum is a viable fuel - it certainly may be dense enough but we need far more details.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 09:13:16 am »
How green is the production of aluminum?

can't be that green..   uses acid to extract aluminium chemically from mined rocks.

but after it's extracted, i suppose it is fairly clean.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 09:53:06 am »

can't be that green..   uses acid to extract aluminium chemically from mined rocks.

but after it's extracted, i suppose it is fairly clean.
Both the processes mentioned through the link look nasty.

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/327aluminum.html

The Bayer process looks a bit like a reverse of one way of making these aluminium batteries work....a bit.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 09:54:48 am by tpl »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 01:21:18 pm »
The battery also need a new batch of distilled water every 300km, while the "old" water probably becomes special-treatment waste.

Pulling a generator on a trailer is probably as clean, if not cleaner...
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 01:41:52 pm »

China is the largest producer of Aluminum

Energy required to produce/refine Aluminum seems to be extensive. http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=7570