Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1068288 times)

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #3840 on: August 29, 2015, 09:05:36 am »
I'm still the minor leagues, around 800km here.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3841 on: August 29, 2015, 03:58:13 pm »
Finally broke the 6K mark. Now to decide if I should try and push for 8K this year to set a new personal record. Previous record is from 2012 @ 7,961.2 kms.

Good stuff.  :thumbup: So, do you think you're going to break 1,000km in August?  :P ;D

:rofl2:

Went out this morning to make it official.

I noticed you also have quite a few miles in this month. :thumbup:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: August 29, 2015, 04:00:23 pm »
Nice!....I will be about 1000k less than last year  :(

But as long as they are quality miles then all is good. I think its safe to say that you are a better cyclist this year vs last.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: August 31, 2015, 12:40:23 pm »

Had to go for a short evening ride just to make it. Let's call it a recovery ride ;D
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #3844 on: August 31, 2015, 05:40:45 pm »

Hit the 2000 km mark on the new bike on Sunday. Add 460km I already did with the old bike and its old school digital bike odometer, so hoping to hit 3000 km for the year.  :)

Some thoughts on the 29er (2015 Specialized crave comp)

- Rolls over rocks and stumps like nothing
- You can really lean into corners (singletrack dirt riding) It inspires plenty of confidence going into turns
- Haven't broke anything yet
- Wicked ground clearance
- Rides nice for a hardtail

Meh:
- It may be the rims or common to 29er's in general, but the rims are super flexy, hit the brakes hard and you can see the rim flex, bad enough that the rear hit the chainstay a few times. I'm not the lightest rider, so possible that don't help. They still "feel" weak!
- Heavier than my old Stumpjumper
- I miss the extra gears the old bike had, this one is only a 20 speed (two front rings instead of three) Lacks enough high gears for road riding.
- It feels big and clumsy at times. I jump on the Stumpy and feel like I'm riding a sports car compared to driving a SUV.
- Tend to get tingly hands on this bike on long rides, grips? geometry? Me?

Overall, for $1,900 I think its great bang for the buck. I've taken this on several trails this summer and came away very impressed with its ride/performance. Doing the firesmart next weekend (67km) Can't wait!

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #3845 on: August 31, 2015, 07:03:29 pm »
Congrats on the new ride, I moved to a 29er 2 years ago and never looked back.

On the rims..

No they should not be any flexier than 26er's. Is the spoke's tension ok?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3846 on: August 31, 2015, 07:38:55 pm »
Awesome and congrats!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: September 02, 2015, 01:11:27 pm »
Had to go for a short evening ride just to make it. Let's call it a recovery ride ;D

Nice work. How was your big ride/event or did I miss reading about it? Awesome job on your average speed. :thumbup:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: September 02, 2015, 01:15:20 pm »
Damn its hot out there but it won't stop me. Don't think my kit had one dry spot left on it. Rode out to Campbleville to the Flying Monkey bike/coffee shop. Nothing like a nice latte and apple cake while :drool: over the Litespeed and Lynskey Helix bikes.

http://flyingmonkeybikeshop.com/

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3849 on: September 02, 2015, 01:27:03 pm »
Damn its hot out there but it won't stop me. Don't think my kit had one dry spot left on it. Rode out to Campbleville to the Flying Monkey bike/coffee shop. Nothing like a nice latte and apple cake while :drool: over the Litespeed and Lynskey Helix bikes.

http://flyingmonkeybikeshop.com/

Same here, just brutal. Jumped in to the pool when I got back  :P

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: September 03, 2015, 01:54:33 pm »

Nice work. How was your big ride/event or did I miss reading about it? Awesome job on your average speed. :thumbup:

Thanks, the ride was great!

There were just under 2,000 riders in the event, which made for a very crowded 11km behind pace car. At the start line, we were group of 13 riders from my club. Many of them had done the same ride in the previous years, and based on their experience our strategy was to start and stay ahead of the 30kph average group and stop at the third feeding station at 96km.

We managed to ride in a double paceline for the first 50-60km, but at that point there were so many coming from behind us that we no longer managed to stay as one group at the front. I slowly dropped behind a few rows as others passed me and lost touch with the lead of our group somewhere around 80-90km into the ride.

We were hit by a thunder storm and hails at 70km, which made the group a little nervous and the pace drop. From 70km to the end it was raining more or less all the time with a few dry stretches here and there.

At 96km we were coming to the third feeding station. By this time our club group had split apart with some of the riders ahead of me and some behind me. The feeding station was located in a downhill, but I managed to stop safely while I suddenly realized that (a) only two others from my group were stopping and the rest kept rolling and (b) there was a group of at least a hundred riders behind us that we had been pulling all the way. To be honest, it was a bit scary to be stopped by the roadside with such a huge group whizzing by at a very close distance. Me and the two or three others that had stopped quickly realised that our pre-agreed plan had just fallen apart. We waited for the group to go by and hit the road again without feeding. Thankfully, I had brought two big water bottles and some energy bars and it was a cool day, so we weren't suffering excessive sweating, especially with the rain.

After the groupetto had passed us, we started our push back to catch it. Somehow the others managed to get on the road quicker than me and I was left alone a couple of hundred meters behind it. I realized that I had to give it all I had right there or I would never be able to catch them. So I started my biggest effort during the ride and rode as hard as I could. Luckily, I was still feeling strong and was able to catch the group in a few minutes. I then settled in the back of the group and had a snack and a drink.

By now the rain had picked up again and the group was slowing down, which helped me to move up and get a little closer to the rest my club within the groupetto. We continued at a steady pace until the 125km, which awaited for us with the last HC climb. After that it was mostly downhill and a lot of riders picked up the pace, as did I. The final 15km went by flying and two kilometers before the finish line I had caught up with my group, or what was left of it.

We arrived at the Olympic Velodrome, the finish line @140km, at approximately 4 hours 23 minutes (gross-time). That was roughly 35 minutes quicker than the target I had set for myself, which I was very happy with. My average speed (gross-time) was 32.15km/h, which translates to over 2km/h faster than I had hoped for. Perhaps the greatest feeling was the way how easy this all came - much more so than I had anticipated. While I was happy with my own achievement, it was also great to have done it with my fellow club riders. It was a great feeling to shake hands with them afterwards and to see how happy they, too, were with the ride.

With all that said, there's a dark shadow looming over the event. There were a lot of crashes. We saw a lot of riders who were picking themselves up on the roadside and one crash involving four riders who hadn't even got up on their feet yet. We saw two people sitting by the roadside in a state of shock and waiting for their ambulance ride. However, the worst accident had happened behind us at the 40km mark where four or five riders fell and one of them suffered severe brain trauma that may take years to recover from.

So, I have mixed feelings about this particular sportive. A lot of riders are complaining about the dangerous riding of some of the participants and the poor road conditions, which both contributed to so many accidents. While I'm sure I'll be doing more sportives in the future, I'm not sure if this will be one of them. I'll probably change my mind as the dust settles, especially if the organizers will make changes to improve safety. In any case, I think I've been bitten by the gran fondo/sportive bug and would recommend them to everyone.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.  :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:36:57 am by huota »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: September 04, 2015, 04:25:11 pm »
^^^ Your post wasn't too long, it was great. Thanks for the ride report and such an amazing job....well done. :thumbup:

I feel the same about Fondos. I've seen many people go down from stupid things. Overlapping wheels, riders in front not calling/point to obstacles, etc. I also think some of the groups are too large for the knowledge level of the cyclist. When everybody is a Cat4 or better racer its not a big deal but just a bunch of 'Joe Racers' bunching up you never know what somebody is going to do.

Don't know what they pricing is like over there but here it seems most start at $100 and go up to $250 per event. As the joke says...."Grand Fondo, the ride you do with your friends on the same roads you ride every day but now just paid a lot to do it."

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3853 on: September 07, 2015, 08:51:22 am »
^^^ I would love to give that a try - and it is only a short ride from my place.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: September 07, 2015, 02:10:31 pm »
^^^ I would love to give that a try - and it is only a short ride from my place.

Same here. I have been practicing riding on the paint lines on streets and roads all year. I can do it  :)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3855 on: September 11, 2015, 10:56:21 pm »
Just got back home yesterday after being away for work for six weeks. Didn't ride a bike or get any real exercise at all for the whole six weeks, so was a bit concerned about what kind of shape I'd be in.  :-\

But, got back on the mtn bike today and felt like I picked up pretty much where I left off. Felt maybe 5 or 10% off my best, but still cleaned all my usual climbs without suffering a heart attack or passing out. :)

Will be going for a bigger ride tomorrow, so will see how she goes. Regardless, it's just great to be back on the bike and have a few more days of nice weather to enjoy. Supposed to be 28 tomorrow, but 12 and rainy after that. ;(

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: September 12, 2015, 08:51:28 am »
Rain and sub arctic temps here this weekend....major sucking.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #3857 on: September 12, 2015, 08:56:54 am »
Cycling has really fuelled my desire to move elsewhere. Probably not going to but I've went from loving winter to hating it simply because of cycling.

Rain and sub arctic temps here this weekend....major sucking.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
The Cycling Thread
« Reply #3858 on: September 12, 2015, 09:45:55 am »
If I knew this was on today I would have also brought my bike with me. Plus the weather is great here today.

http://threenotchcentury.org

Just saw a hand cyclist on the course. Fack'n awesome.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #3859 on: September 12, 2015, 12:07:52 pm »
Had a pretty nasty crash on the road on Tuesday. Unknown to me at the time my front tire picked up a nail or something and developped a slow leak. As I was carving a right hand turn at 36.6 kph (as recorded by my Garmin) the front tubular separated from the rim. Went down pretty hard on my right hip and shoulder, cracked my helmet, and totally destroyed my jersey. No damage to the bike, no concussion and no broken bone. A lot of road rash on the right arm and back however, a very sore shoulder and the largest, darkest, nastiest raspberry on my hip.

Some good kids who arrive on the scene seconds after my fall were kind enough to give me a ride back home in their Civic.  :D I was about 5 km fom home when that happened.

Just back from an easy recovery ride; it was good to be back on the bike!