Author Topic: car2go expands in Vancouver  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
car2go expands in Vancouver
« on: March 22, 2012, 10:09:27 am »

car2go Canada Ltd. announced today it will expand its Vancouver, B.C. operations to meet the growing needs of its more than 10,000 members

Read More...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: car2go expands in Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 10:17:31 am »
Little by little. I love car2go. :) So convenient. Say I have to run errands on the way home, I pick up a car near work, drive from place to place, then park near a Skytrain station and catch the train home. It's cheaper than taking a taxi and faster and more convenient than having to bus from place to place.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: car2go expands in Vancouver
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 06:45:41 am »
This is a brilliant concept and I am glad to see it expanding.  It should be in every major town and city.

For that matter, I don't see why it can't be in even much smaller towns.

What I'd really like to see is a version of this with trucks and vans.  People who drive these monsters rarely use their capacity but feel they need to have their capability on hand.  (not including those for whom a car is vehicular jewelry)

If these people could be lured out of their CO2 spewing, road clogging behemoths into smaller vehicles by the promise of available cargo capacity any time they need it, it would be a great step forward.

Four questions.

1.  I wonder what the accident rate is with low mileage drivers getting into an unfamiliar vehicle.  Particularly Smarts as their driving characteristics are unique.  (but I love them)

2.  How often do the members want to make use of a car but find one is not available?

3.  Is Mercedes making money on this?  I hope yes.

4.  I wonder when this trend will start to eat into the rental car business and if those companies will feel compelled to come up with competing programs.

Cheers,
John M.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:51:13 am by JohnM »