Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe XL Limited vs 2014 Toyota Highlander Limited  (Read 18058 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Some clever touches prove the difference as the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe XL Limited and 2014 Toyota Highlander Limited go head-to-head.

Read More...

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
I know this subject has been beaten like a lazy donkey but how does a manufacturer's warranty factor into things? 

If I had a family, I'd seriously have to consider the long-term costs associated with repairs, etc. if I wasn't leasing for ~36 months. 

For example in this comparison we have Hyundai with a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty and 3 years of roadside assistance against a Toyota vehicle that offers just 36 months of coverage and roadside assistance only in their Extra Care package. 

Regardless of how reliable Toyota has historically been, there's a huge amount of value attached to Hyundai's warranty.  So much so that I'd place the Santa Fe XL slightly ahead of the Highlander if I was cross shopping the two. 

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
 It is also why the Toyota seems to hold its track more truly than the Toyota – particularly over uneven surfaces

Uh, wut?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
It is also why the Toyota seems to hold its track more truly than the Toyota – particularly over uneven surfaces
Uh, wut?
...beat me to it.  I'm doing a lot of housekeeping today!

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
I know this subject has been beaten like a lazy donkey but how does a manufacturer's warranty factor into things? 

If I had a family, I'd seriously have to consider the long-term costs associated with repairs, etc. if I wasn't leasing for ~36 months. 

For example in this comparison we have Hyundai with a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty and 3 years of roadside assistance against a Toyota vehicle that offers just 36 months of coverage and roadside assistance only in their Extra Care package. 

Regardless of how reliable Toyota has historically been, there's a huge amount of value attached to Hyundai's warranty.  So much so that I'd place the Santa Fe XL slightly ahead of the Highlander if I was cross shopping the two.

All depends on your risk tolerance I suppose.  I'd argue the risk of the Toyota having a serious issue in years 4 and 5 is so low that I'd barely factor that longer warranty into the equation.  Some value I guess, but certainly not "huge".

If you're talking about a Porsche offering 2 more years warranty than a comparable Jag....and factoring in the likely high costs for any breakdowns in those cars...different story.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
To some, a warranty really is the ultimate piece of mind - my father, for example, was hugely woo-ed by the Mitsu 10 year powertrain warranty and 5 year bumper to bumper...yet, he didn't buy because the product simply wasn't good enough - a non-issue with Hyundai, lately.

Remember that most will buy ECPs, so the Hyundai including a longer warranty may mitigate some of the cost therein.  It's something to consider, for sure, but is unlikely to be itself determinative.

It'd be interesting to peg these two against the Nissan Pathfinder - my brother wants a QX60, however...it seems like when families are spending $45k+ on a hauler, they want to feel like they're getting a luxury vehicle.  Consumers are getting greedy, I guess...::)

I'm surprised by the Santa Fe XL here - I didn't think it did so many things so well (especially driving dynamics, which are typically a sore-spot for Hyundai).  Good job, Hyundai!

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150

Uh, wut?

Fixed. Cheers.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
interesting bit about warranty..

my parents are NOT the type to purchase extra crap and my dad is usually very good at negotiations and seeing value.  I was shocked to learn they purchased Toyota ECP when they bought the new Corolla.
Historically the Corolla's reliability speaks for itself.  My dad is even does all his own car work.

His reason behind the purchase was that this Corolla is all new and being the first year it may have some bugs so he felt the extra protection was worthwhile.

Offline vols1

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-18
    • View Profile
A friend of mine has the Hyundai in the saddle brown leather. Looks great. While I have only been a passenger, the vehicle is quiet with good acceleration. The ride is a little soft and floaty for me. Seats are comfortable and the captain's chairs for second row passengers are a bonus, especially on a longer trip. Lots of leg room for even the tallest passenger. Looks like good value but I keep thinking this is just a van with a longer front end.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
The Highlander is still quite bloated looking, whereas the Santa Fe looks more streamlined and easier on the eyes.  I prefer the look of the Highlander dash board and center stack, though.  They seem well matched in most other aspects.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

my parents are NOT the type to purchase extra crap and my dad is usually very good at negotiations and seeing value.  I was shocked to learn they purchased Toyota ECP when they bought the new Corolla.
Historically the Corolla's reliability speaks for itself.  My dad is even does all his own car work.

His reason behind the purchase was that this Corolla is all new and being the first year it may have some bugs so he felt the extra protection was worthwhile.
We got the 7 year, 160,000km ECP on the Corolla because the 'deal of the week' was a free 4 year ECP ($1049 value) and it was an additional $549 to upgrade to 7 years.  That's a no-brainer.

With ECPs, you get some free oil changes (first 3 years, so 6 in total at $50 each = $300 saved), free tire rotations and other crap that has 'some' value, too.  To me, it was essentially a free warranty.  On top of that, if we opted for the ECP, we got 1/2 price on rustproofing (paid $249), which as described in other threads, is simply another form of insurance/warranty (lifetime, no need to inspect ever).  So for $800, less the money saved from oil changes, we have a 7 year bumper-to-bumper warranty on a reliable vehicle plus lifetime warranty against rust.  You wouldn't spend on it?

...I agree, on my brother's Crosstrek I advised against getting the ECP - it was $2,600 for 7 years and didn't seem worth it.  That's a lot of repair before it starts to pay for itself.

...I also agree that our ECP was probably more of the outlier than the usual ECP experience.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
List warranties are only as good as how they are handled. A guy at work purchased a new Hyundai from the dealer and had electronic issues within the warranty period.
Hyundai added many hurdles in order to honor the warranty claiming that not all services were done at the dealer i.e. oil changes and tried to tell him that it virtually voided his warranty.
He had to back track documentation and escalate the issue for what turned out to be a known set of issues which he only got minor repair compensation.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
List warranties are only as good as how they are handled. A guy at work purchased a new Hyundai from the dealer and had electronic issues within the warranty period.
Hyundai added many hurdles in order to honor the warranty claiming that not all services were done at the dealer i.e. oil changes and tried to tell him that it virtually voided his warranty.
He had to back track documentation and escalate the issue for what turned out to be a known set of issues which he only got minor repair compensation.

That's utter bs, as much as I hated our problematic '11 Sonata Hyundai graciously repaired everything, they  even rented us a car for a week one time when the entire brake system was replaced.
That was a dealer issue, trying to scare your friend into servicing at their dealership.
I had my Sonata's oil changed at various places and never once had a warranty claim problem.

Offline jj72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-4
    • View Profile

All have pulled this on their customers at one time or another. Toyota is no exception.  As someone mentioned, it dpeends on the dealership and your relationship with them.  I bring my vehicle in for servicing knowing full well that certain area's are not covered because of certain upgrades I have made but they have fully warrantied other components without exception that I had left untouched.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Which one has the better awd system?? Do they both have some way to "lock" the system?? I really like both but the Highlander would be my first choice just for the fact it would be as reliable as an anvil.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X

Please note that Hyundai doesn't advertise their 5 year warranty as "bumper to bumper" because it really isn't. Things like audio and A/C are only covered for 3 years/60. They will sell you something called a "wrap warranty" if you want all these things covered for 5 years. So their warranty is a selling point, but it pays as always to read the fine print.

Force can clarify or correct me if I've misrepresented what I understand here.

Our dealings with our Hyundai dealer have been largely positive as well, other than the usual attempt to upsell services that most dealers are known for.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
Which one has the better awd system?? Do they both have some way to "lock" the system?? I really like both but the Highlander would be my first choice just for the fact it would be as reliable as an anvil.

The Santa Fe XL uses an advanced electro-hydraulic coupling that can send power to the rear wheels almost instantly. Because the system is hydraulic, it can prime the rear coupling in advance. It uses input from other systems (ex.: ESC intervention) to predict potential wheelspin and responds accordingly. It also includes a 50/50 manual lock that works at speeds below 40 kph.

Please note that Hyundai doesn't advertise their 5 year warranty as "bumper to bumper" because it really isn't. Things like audio and A/C are only covered for 3 years/60. They will sell you something called a "wrap warranty" if you want all these things covered for 5 years. So their warranty is a selling point, but it pays as always to read the fine print.

Force can clarify or correct me if I've misrepresented what I understand here.

Our dealings with our Hyundai dealer have been largely positive as well, other than the usual attempt to upsell services that most dealers are known for.

You're correct. There's no such thing as a "bumper-to-bumper" warranty. You'll see the term "comprehensive" advertised by all manufacturers for a reason.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:24:35 pm by Force »
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco

We got the 7 year, 160,000km ECP on the Corolla because the 'deal of the week' was a free 4 year ECP ($1049 value) and it was an additional $549 to upgrade to 7 years.  That's a no-brainer.

With ECPs, you get some free oil changes (first 3 years, so 6 in total at $50 each = $300 saved), free tire rotations and other crap that has 'some' value, too.  To me, it was essentially a free warranty.  On top of that, if we opted for the ECP, we got 1/2 price on rustproofing (paid $249), which as described in other threads, is simply another form of insurance/warranty (lifetime, no need to inspect ever).  So for $800, less the money saved from oil changes, we have a 7 year bumper-to-bumper warranty on a reliable vehicle plus lifetime warranty against rust.  You wouldn't spend on it?

...I agree, on my brother's Crosstrek I advised against getting the ECP - it was $2,600 for 7 years and didn't seem worth it.  That's a lot of repair before it starts to pay for itself.

...I also agree that our ECP was probably more of the outlier than the usual ECP experience.

At that price I think I'd pay for it as well.  I've never been personally offered a "discount" on the ECP.
My dad, while I don't know what he paid, stated they gave a really good discount.

List warranties are only as good as how they are handled

I think this has more to do with the dealership and service person working.
One year my wife was told she had issues with the brakes when we were at the dealership for service.
they actually came out and said even though we're 30 days out of warranty they'll replace everything (pads and rotors).   all free.    Meanwhile, a year later, same dealership, they pointed something out with the RAV.   I had to debate for 20 minutes with various people that the problem was part of the powertrain warrantee as the vehicle is 4WD.  At first they told me it wasn't, eventually I spoke to the manager who apologized that his staff didn't understand and yes it was covered. 

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's

That's utter bs, as much as I hated our problematic '11 Sonata Hyundai graciously repaired everything, they  even rented us a car for a week one time when the entire brake system was replaced.
That was a dealer issue, trying to scare your friend into servicing at their dealership.
I had my Sonata's oil changed at various places and never once had a warranty claim problem.

Not B.S. I saw it happen. Either way an authorized dealer represents the manufacturer. The manufacturer was not much better in trying to resolve the situation telling him to deal with the dealer.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile

Not B.S. I saw it happen. Either way an authorized dealer represents the manufacturer. The manufacturer was not much better in trying to resolve the situation telling him to deal with the dealer.

I mentioned previously the coworker's Santa Fe that was in the shop more than on the road. Dealer incompetence or not, the manufacturer has some responsibility here to ensure that the service/warranty experience is what was promised. I have another coworker with an Elantra whose heated seats burned a hole in the upholstery after a short. Hyundai tried to say too bad, so sad, as the car was out of warranty. Shameful.

Really, with these two vehicles essentially the same price, I cannot fathom why anyone would spend their own money on the Hyundai. If it was $10K cheaper, then perhaps.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.