Author Topic: First Drive: 2012 Infiniti M35h hybrid  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2012 Infiniti M35h hybrid
« on: June 14, 2011, 04:04:32 am »

The new Infiniti M35h (hybrid) offers impressive performance and fuel economy, but there's a price premium, says Grant Yoxon.

Read More...

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2012 Infiniti M35h hybrid
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:41:59 am »
I like the 7spd replacing the CVT - hopefully that will trickle down to the Maxima, if its still alive by then.  Some reasonable output numbers that rival a SHO; too bad there are no acceleration figures to go with it.

Sounds like the electric engine replaces the torque convertor and the alternator?  I'm guessing not many shops would know what to do with one of these things. 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 01:43:09 pm »
I really like the idea of this vehicle.  The styling isn't really my taste but that's subjective.  I wonder if the upcoming Audi A6 diesel will beat this in fuel economy.  My guess is that it probably will.  With the new VW Passat coming with TDI option I think I would rather save my money and get one of those.  The luxury finishes will be similar and fuel mileage better.  Of course there is a big difference performance wise but with the money I would save I could probably get a fairly good used performance vehicle for the days I feel frisky.

Offline dbq

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 05:59:19 pm »
Hi

There is another answer to the fast but frugal question which is the modern turbodiesel which also happens to be ultraclean from an noxious gas emissions point of view together with significantly lower CO2 levels.

You also don't have the packaging compromises that you get with Hybrids (have you seen the trunk space in the M35h ?)

The Europeans have been at it for years and it is such a shame that North America seems oblivious to the benefits of diesel. You think 28 mpg is great mileage for a family sedan ? Europeans get 45-55 mpg without batting an eyelid from their turbo diesels.

Offline G35X

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 06:16:00 pm »
Europeans get 45-55 mpg without batting an eyelid from their turbo diesels “ – dbq

Is the “g” imperial?  7.5 L/100 km equals to 37.9m/imp and 6.1L/100km is 46.6m/imp. One thing we have to take into consideration when talking about gas vs. diesel is that gallon and litre are volume units. Since diesel is packed with 5+ percent more energy per volume than gas, this fact alone should give diesel engine vehicles at least 5 percent advantage when fuel economy is expressed in per volume.  Also, this means diesel’s CO2 emission per volume is 5 percent more than that of gas.  Diesel engine’s fuel/air mixture swings widely by nature, from very rich (soot) to very lean (NOX), thence complicated and expensive exhaust gas cleaning devices such as DPF and urea injector.  On the other hand, cost of gas-electric hybrid’s battery is coming down very quickly now.  Therefore, premium for clean diesel and gas-electric hybrid is getting very close.  Besides cleaning of NOX and soot, now the industry must meet stringent CO2 emission regulation, reduction of which is only possible by burning less fossil fuels.  Because of this reason I think we will see more and more hybrids from European automakers.  Diesel-electric hybrid is ideal from this standpoint, but you have to pay both diesel premium and hybrid premium.

I also think European hybrids will be more like Infiniti M35h and Hyundai Sonata hybrid since they can accommodate both manual transmission and conventional automatic.  Honda’s IMA system is also a coaxial-parallel design.  But, unfortunately it does not have a clutch between ICE output shaft and the “flywheel” electric motor.  Therefore, when coasting or stopping if you want to turn the electric motor into generator, it has to rotate the ICE and its ancillaries at the same time not being able to turn kinetic energy into electricity efficiently. This becomes more serious problem as automakers put higher capacity batteries to extend EV range.  Honda must find the way to put a clutch to separate ICE and electric motor.