Author Topic: Hammy family pulls the trigger.....  (Read 15245 times)

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
Re: Hammy family pulls the trigger.....
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2016, 05:09:23 pm »
Looking forward to detailed driving impressions on the R.

I can provide the detail I have after about 200 kms....

Comfort mode = I'm not sure why you would buy this car and use comfort mode but I did a test and got 8 L/ 100 KM in mixed driving (no traffic) which I though was really good.... but boring as hell.

Normal mode = Only a bit better than comfort mode for driving fun but you can flick it into sport mode from any of the three driving option modes and it responds much better, so in actual fact there are more like 6 driving modes.  You can also do the individual settings to adjust all the driving aspects the way you want them.

Race mode = AWESOME...... This is definitely the way this car wants to be driven.  It holds the gears really well right up to red line and launches you like a bullet from a standing start, I'd say on par with the 335.  And I know the engine sound is partially fabricated but holy lord the growl it makes in race mode is something special.

The Fender audio system sounds great, you lose the spare tire to a subwoofer, it was kind of funny when the salesman tried to show me the spare tire and I had to explain to him it was in fact a sub woofer.  The car sticks to the pavement like its on rails and is not overly rough on bumpy pavement, I found the 335 rougher but it might have been partially because of it's age, I'm not sure.  The brakes are very good but not to grabby, and I love the "R" calipers.

The seats are very comfortable, the interior is nicely appointed and all the tech is easy to use.  I love this thing.  I'm headed out now to give her a coat of wax, I noticed the rain today was sitting on the paint which bothered me a bit.  Then I'll do a full photo session which I will hopefully get posted tomorrow.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2016, 05:12:51 pm »

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2016, 05:51:58 pm »
Congrats on the R Hammy... looks awesome, love the colour & wheels... gonna miss the old FGC thread on the 335 though  :'(   :rofl:

As for the Tiguan... not a huge fan, dated platform overall... but still a congrats to Mrs. Hammy on her new ride  ;D

She liked it because it had good visibility and VW gave a really good trade offer on her F-150.  The other vehicle she was considering was a Forester but the Tiguan seemed much nicer inside and she loved the panoramic sunroof.

That's all that matters.   :D

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2016, 06:02:11 pm »
Nice one!!! Congrats!

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2016, 07:04:32 pm »
The Fender audio system sounds great, you lose the spare tire to a subwoofer, it was kind of funny when the salesman tried to show me the spare tire and I had to explain to him it was in fact a sub woofer.  The car sticks to the pavement like its on rails and is not overly rough on bumpy pavement, I found the 335 rougher but it might have been partially because of it's age, I'm not sure.  The brakes are very good but not to grabby, and I love the "R" calipers.

The GTI and normal Golf with the Fender system have a spare and a subwoofer. Not sure why the R is different.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2016, 07:26:56 pm »
Re: 335 ride, it was probably due to run flat tires.  They ruin ride quality.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2016, 07:42:47 pm »
Looking forward to detailed driving impressions on the R.

Race mode = AWESOME...... This is definitely the way this car wants to be driven.  It holds the gears really well right up to red line and launches you like a bullet from a standing start, I'd say on par with the 335.  And I know the engine sound is partially fabricated but holy lord the growl it makes in race mode is something special.

Wait until you try Launch Control   :-X

With respect to comfort mode, it works great in the winter in snow and makes the car very compliant over frost heaves.

Have you tried full manual mode?  Each gear (except for 1st) will bump off the rev limiter until you shift.  Don't ask me how I know this.

Whats the steps for launch control, been trying to find a good how to on you tube.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2016, 07:59:36 pm »
Wouldn't it be in the manual?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2016, 08:02:47 pm »
Why would you put yourself through a double whammy of FGC ownership?  You should have bought a Focus RS and Escape....Just kidding.  My wife would have loved if I had green lighted a purchase of a Tiguan at the same time of me getting my R.  She loves the Tiguan, I think it's a bit small but has aged extremely well.

Love those rims but I like mine also and wouldn't have paid to option those, but I'm cheap.  I know you didn't pay extra for them but I think next year people who want them will be charged.

Oh and the question about the lack of spare seeing as both the GTI and regular Golf has the woofer and spare, I think the answer is the AWD system and the fact it's made in Germany and not Mexico.  In fact both the R and your Tiguan are built in Germany, that'll be a selling feature soon as production of NA VWs are switching more and more to Mexico and the US.

Big congrats on the purchases.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2016, 08:04:45 pm »
built in Germany, that'll be a selling feature soon

:rofl:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2016, 01:30:29 pm »
Seems like Rs are getting quite plentiful. This is at Georgetown VW. They also had three more getting prepped for delivery that are not pictured.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2016, 02:14:26 pm »
Seems like Rs are getting quite plentiful. This is at Georgetown VW. They also had three more getting prepped for delivery that are not pictured.

Wow!!! 

And I only see one with the prettier wheels.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2016, 03:00:11 pm »
Congratulations Hammy! Very nice car.

Also:

;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2016, 03:02:53 pm »
..shoe   shoe  ... go look at handbags........ ;D ....wot's wrong with 4 extra Mandolins on hand??
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12353
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2016, 04:25:41 pm »
Sounds like a kickass ride - and I would have expected no less.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2016, 05:06:27 pm »

Last week when I drove by the Cambridge dealer, they had 3 R's in stock. 1 blue and 2 black.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2016, 06:50:04 pm »
What you guys call the "pretty" wheels probably would have a life expectancy of one week on Montreal streets. Big wheels + thin spokes = frail. C&D seems to have the same issue with what passes for pavement in Michigan. They spend a fortune on replacement wheels on German long-term cars.

It's one of the reasons I stuck with a CL Golf: above 16", not enough tire and not enough spokes to survive !
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2016, 11:16:15 am »
What you guys call the "pretty" wheels probably would have a life expectancy of one week on Montreal streets. Big wheels + thin spokes = frail. C&D seems to have the same issue with what passes for pavement in Michigan. They spend a fortune on replacement wheels on German long-term cars.

It's one of the reasons I stuck with a CL Golf: above 16", not enough tire and not enough spokes to survive !

Haven't had any issues with my 18s and some of the roads here can be pretty bad, the one I live on included.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2016, 09:40:21 pm »

Haven't had any issues with my 18s and some of the roads here can be pretty bad, the one I live on included.

Yeah so far so good on my 19s but I also tend to dodge pot holes and frost heaves like my life depends on it.  Which I don't really understand because I did buy the tire and rim coverage.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2016, 04:16:50 pm »

Yeah so far so good on my 19s but I also tend to dodge pot holes and frost heaves like my life depends on it.  Which I don't really understand because I did buy the tire and rim coverage.

Because it wouldn't be fun stranded on the side of the road in winter with broken wheel/blown tire.