Author Topic: Northern Exposure: Subaru's Lineartronic CVT vs 6-Speed Manual in the WRX  (Read 30792 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Northern Exposure: Subaru's Lineartronic CVT vs 6-Speed Manual in the WRX
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2014, 06:22:49 pm »
Thanks and on our list to do.. :)..but it will though the windshield of a 2014 Toyota Highlander  :-\
Rental, or your own?

we did it in a Ford Focus once, and once in a Mustang Convertible.  The Focus was more fun :P

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2014, 08:44:09 pm »
I've owned 2 WRXs and 1 STI.  Other than taking the first WRX to a track, I've launched the 3 cars outside track setting maybe 10 times total.  I suspect not many owners do it on regular basis.  The sub 5s 0-60 in these cars is pretty meaningless.  You're rarely going to drive them that way. 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2014, 08:47:07 pm »
I've owned 2 WRXs and 1 STI. Other than taking the first WRX to a track, I've launched the 3 cars outside track setting maybe 10 times total.  I suspect not many owners do it on regular basis.  The sub 5s 0-60 in these cars is pretty meaningless.  You're rarely going to drive them that way.

Same here, but I have hundreds of launches  :)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2014, 08:54:19 pm »
I've owned 2 WRXs and 1 STI. Other than taking the first WRX to a track, I've launched the 3 cars outside track setting maybe 10 times total.  I suspect not many owners do it on regular basis.  The sub 5s 0-60 in these cars is pretty meaningless.  You're rarely going to drive them that way.

And your car exploded and my transmission blew up. hhahaha

Yes, I am soft, but so are you.

Let go have a drink and smoke some stogies and discuss how to remedy the situation.

:rofl2: For sure, but I'm 53  ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2014, 08:54:29 pm »

Let go have a drink and smoke some stogies and discuss how to remedy the situation.

LOL...yea.  2 blown up Subarus.  I refer to this quote:

Subaru is not Nissan, they were designed by engineers, not accountants  :P
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2014, 08:58:02 pm »

LOL...yea.  2 blown up Subarus.  I refer to this quote:

Subaru is not Nissan, they were designed by engineers, not accountants  :P

Modded Subarus. Not pedestrian econoboxes  :P

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2014, 09:00:13 pm »

Young kids man. The worst. My hands are tied. Give me 3 years and I will be back!

Grow some..... I was racing C6's in my modded 2002 WRX when I was 40 with child seat bolted in the back seat.  :skid:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2014, 09:01:06 pm »

^^Some of your Subarus of that era WERE econoboxes....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2014, 09:01:20 pm »
Now that I've had a drink I will say it. I think my tuned WRX was faster than your tuned STI. You had a dud of a car or a bad tune.

:P :P :P ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

:rofl2: Have another one!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2014, 09:01:55 pm »

Muscle cars by definition  :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2014, 09:02:28 pm »

They were sh*tboxes....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2014, 09:04:34 pm »

Young kids man. The worst. My hands are tied. Give me 3 years and I will be back!

Grow some..... I was racing C6's in my modded 2002 WRX when I was 40 with child seat bolted in the back seat.  :skid:

And you told me you have regretted some decisions in your younger years. Once the kids get a couple years older and I'm settled in the new house I will open it up. Until then I'm layin' low. Gotta set the base man. Plant the seed. Build the nest.

Stop being logical  :rofl2:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2014, 09:06:18 pm »

They were sh*tboxes....

Yes, muscle cars were sh*tboxes. Base model with performance engine and bits.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2014, 09:07:10 pm »
WTF...a double team  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2014, 09:15:29 pm »

And you told me you have regretted some decisions in your younger years. Once the kids get a couple years older and I'm settled in the new house I will open it up. Until then I'm layin' low. Gotta set the base man. Plant the seed. Build the nest.

BAH!!  I'll believe it when I see it.  Just like Snowman's 911.   :rofl2:

Your lovely house seemed like plenty of room for 2 adults and 2 kids.  Why do you need a new house?  I say C7 before new house.   ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2014, 09:49:01 pm »
Time has to be right.

Have you been hanging out with Snowman?   :rofl2: :rofl:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2014, 11:17:03 pm »
wow another thread that has turned into talking about that c7 - the car that was drawrn up with a red crayon.....what's worse it's coming in a thread about the ultimate :censor: transmission.  the CVT is another form of the devil. my friend has a modded STI and i am pretty sure he has stabbed himself multiple times when he heard the wrx was now being offered with a CVT.  i cannot confirm this as i am afraid to go to his place only to find a seven, the movie, type situation.

I feel the same way when someone drives a modded WRX rather than a modded Supra.... :rofl2:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2014, 12:23:40 am »
i'm still having a hard time figuring out all the hate about the WRX being offered with a CVT...it isn't mandatory, it is optional...for those who love rowing their own gears, get the manual and stop bitching about it already...from what i've read, the CVT is faster, gets better fuel economy and at least gives you paddle shifters if you are so inclined to "shift" it yourself.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2014, 09:01:28 am »
wow another thread that has turned into talking about that c7 - the car that was drawrn up with a red crayon.....what's worse it's coming in a thread about the ultimate :censor: transmission.  the CVT is another form of the devil. my friend has a modded STI and i am pretty sure he has stabbed himself multiple times when he heard the wrx was now being offered with a CVT.  i cannot confirm this as i am afraid to go to his place only to find a seven, the movie, type situation.

I feel the same way when someone drives a modded WRX rather than a modded Supra.... :rofl2:

Supra?  I remember reading about those in history books.  A whole lifetime ago. 

Snowman, you blew up TWO of your Subies?  I didn't know that.  Which ones?  The STI and ???  Knock on wood, my brother's '11 STI is holding up very well.  He doesn't do wild launches on a regular basis -- in fact, since getting into bikes, he's admitted the Subie is boring now -- but he certainly doesn't baby it.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2014, 01:01:58 pm »

Supra?  I remember reading about those in history books.  A whole lifetime ago. 

Snowman, you blew up TWO of your Subies?  I didn't know that.  Which ones?  The STI and ???  Knock on wood, my brother's '11 STI is holding up very well.  He doesn't do wild launches on a regular basis -- in fact, since getting into bikes, he's admitted the Subie is boring now -- but he certainly doesn't baby it.

No, his STI's engine blew shortly after he sold it. My WRX was the other one - transmission exploded a few months after I bought it and prior to it being modded.

Yep, buyer cooked No.2 because of lack of heat shield on COBB down pipe I had installed. Bad design.