Author Topic: Head-to-Head Comparison Test: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive vs 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T AWD  (Read 26048 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Tom drives the BMW 328i xDrive back to back with the Cadillac ATS 2.0T AWD and compares notes on two of the best luxury sport sedans.

Read More...

Offline superukr

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +17/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia
I would go for 2013 MKZ

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
Sir, you nail it!
It's a comparison in details, parameter by parameter...And all information is useful not just for new car buyers, but for automotive entusiasts as well. Better than Consumer Reports!

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
 Very nicely done...What if you had only 2 kids?  Or perhaps none?   What would the choice be then?  I consider "badge recognition", snobbery...It matters not what it's called; only what it is...Patooey on what others think....Thanks for a very nice report   Jack

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
Not only was this very detailed and touched on all the major comparison points but you manned up at the end and picked a winner. Bravo.

I hope to see you write more comparisons like this.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Thanks for the review. I'm going to keep it simple. Both seem like competitive decent driving machines but here is where the difference lies.

328 - proven benchmark that could justify whatever pricing the market will bear.

ATS - wrong pricing strategy. No proven cache or true test of residual sales market. Should clearly be priced lower as a value initially.

Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
Pretty thorough comparison.  It was a good read!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Pretty thorough comparison.  It was a good read!
fantastic review. I would chose the ATS as I hate the fact that the "ultimate driving machine" isnt so ultimate anymore. You can tell they are changing their philosophy entirely for the Chinese market and the softer cushier buyer. Problem is, they buy BMW for what it's roundel means: driving involvement and sportiness - even if it no longer really is there there is the perception of it. One the buyers wake up to the ever softening going on under their bottoms they may cry foul...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline vickenp

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: fit, civic si, protege 5
Good comparo.

For myself, I also think of the following:

- practicality
- resale value
- maintence costs
- history

One has a little more interior space.

One should holds its value longer.

Maintence costs....can't really say, never owned a b'mr

History----lets look at GM's past vs BMW's past - once bitten, I'd never look back!

3 series would b my vote as well

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
Very nicely done...What if you had only 2 kids?  Or perhaps none?   What would the choice be then?  I consider "badge recognition", snobbery...It matters not what it's called; only what it is...Patooey on what others think....Thanks for a very nice report   Jack

If you have only 2 kids or no kids at all, it would come down to what you appreciate more - outright performance or some utility and brand recognition. Value may also be a factor - you know exactly what to expect from a BMW 3-4 years down the road, the ATS is still anybody's guess. If you're ok with all of that and driven by emotion, there would be no wrong chice here.

Nice side-by-side review. Liked it a lot. Agree with redman who says "ATS - wrong pricing strategy. No proven cache or true test of residual sales market. Should clearly be priced lower as a value initially"

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Good article and nice comparo  :thumbup: We need to see more of these.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
ATS - wrong pricing strategy. No proven cache or true test of residual sales market. Should clearly be priced lower as a value initially.

Agreed.  This is how Infiniti entered the market years ago with the G35.  Cadillac must prove that they are rid of their past deeds.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
"Both of these cars are great, and it’s hard to nitpick much. I do hate how BMW bends you over the options barrel, where things that should be standard equipment aren’t. Things like an alarm system or satellite radio."

I could care less about Satellite Radio or an Alarm System (which tends to go off all the time - all Cars in Ontario have engine immobilizers, so it's not like without an "alarm system" that your car is completely unprotected - it just doesn't make annoyingly loud honking noises when you accidentally hit the button on the fob).

Look, the cars are both great in their own respects, and the author hit on those very well.  The read was just painful because clearly, Tom was trying to really up-sell the ATS and it was just too fake...especially when he chose the Bimmer at the end.

The pricing of the ATS is actually great - you can get a VERY reasonable, AWD 2.0T Auto for under $40k if you don't care about these outward 'luxury' appointments like collision mitigation (which should be standard anyway - why are SAFETY features "optional?!") or CUE - which is terrible. 

If you want a driver's car, then get a stripped down version of the thing anyway...the base model is far from crappy, and the loaded versions will always be blamed for being too pricey.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
The pricing of the ATS is actually great - you can get a VERY reasonable, AWD 2.0T Auto for under $40k if you don't care about these outward 'luxury' appointments like collision mitigation (which should be standard anyway - why are SAFETY features "optional?!") or CUE - which is terrible. 

If you want a driver's car, then get a stripped down version of the thing anyway...the base model is far from crappy, and the loaded versions will always be blamed for being too pricey.

Ironically, the 328i xDrive Classic also starts at under $40k. Do you still believe the pricing of the ATS is great?

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe

Thank you for the kind feedback!

If I had no kids, I would likely choose the Cadillac. I would buy one that is lesser equipped, which could bring down the pricing considerably and without kids, I could work with a smaller trunk on a regular basis.

Truth is, it almost physically hurt me to choose the BMW's overall package ahead of the Caddy because when it came to the drive, the ATS easily won out.

Northernridge

Good review and an enjoyable read although the title could have been: 

Head-to-Head-to-Head Comparison Test: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive vs. Ghost of Previous 3-Series vs. 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T AWD

You may have drawn more comparisons of the 328 to previous models than to the Cadillac. I think this is another example of how hard it is for BMW to live up to its own reputation.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Head-to-Head-to-Head Comparison Test: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive vs. Ghost of Previous 3-Series vs. 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T AWD

You may have drawn more comparisons of the 328 to previous models than to the Cadillac. I think this is another example of how hard it is for BMW to live up to its own reputation.

Exactly. It is very easy to get disappointed in the next iteration of a very solid product. And it's very easy to be impressed with the first attempt when your reference point is government bailout.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300

BMW WAS a great company at one point. It was an enthusiast brand aimed at people who could discern the difference between a drivers car or a fat, overstuffed highway couch. Today....meh, like I said, I used to be a huge BMW fan, the screaming M3 V8, the E39 M5....now, there isnt a car in their lineup I would buy brand new, lottery win or not. Cadillac, hell yeah, 2L turbo, RWD and a manual, wooohoooo.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
i wonder how the a4 quattro would have faired in this comparison.   a fully loaded premium plus is 45.8k. (the only awd car in this class/price point that come with a manual!)  kind of narrows my choices quickly  ;P)

when the new q50 arrives, line up the a4, 328i or 328d, ats, c class 4matic and the q50.  now that would be an interesting comparo.

Isn't that routinely done on an annual basis by R&T C&D etc ?  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
Great review. Not the cars that I'm likely to buy next, but an interesting read nonetheless. Cadillac deserves huge credit for stepping up their game. Both cars do remarkably well in the fuel economy considering relatively good power and AWD and knowing that these cars aren't made to driven slowly.