Author Topic: Not really a truck fan. Am I alone?  (Read 11943 times)

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
Not really a truck fan. Am I alone?
« on: November 30, 2015, 11:19:29 am »
If you combine Sierra and Silverado sales, Ford, GM and Ram pickups are the biggest-selling vehicles in Canada by some margin.  Living in rural Manitoba and working in agricultural engineering, most of my colleagues drive trucks and often rib me for driving a Civic and assume that it's slow, noisy and uncomfortable.

My BIL's all have their own businesses and use trucks for their jobs, which is fair enough and my FIL farms so uses his (a 2013 Silverado) for his job too.  I'm originally from the UK, where you can't buy anything like an F150, Sierra/Silverado or Ram, so coming here and having the opportunity to drive a full-size truck was a new experience for me.  Getting to drive something with a V8 had some novelty and when I drive a truck, it's normally in the spring/summer and I need it to do truck stuff like dump runs and collecting large purchases.  For this reason, I have considered purchasing a truck in the past, plus when my parents visit from the UK, there are 6 of us including the children, so I can see some merit in a 6-seater full-size truck.

However, this last weekend, I had a fireplace and an area rug to pick up from town and my FIL had a curling match a bit further afield, so it suited both of us to swap vehicles and I used the truck as my sole vehicle for the weekend and by the end of the weekend, I actually came to the conclusion that un-Canadian as it sounds, I'm not really a truck fan and couldn't wait to get my Civic back!

So what didn't I like?

Well firstly, I'm only 5'8", so feel a bit like a child driving a big truck and climbing up into it isn't the easiest thing for me to do!

Secondly, when cornering and braking, I'm always very conscious about the massive inertia and weight.  Just touching the brakes doesn't produce the deceleration that I would get in my car and it always takes longer to stop and I have to brake harder than I think I will.  If it were to start sliding, which isn't unusual in this icy weather or get out of shape, then I think that I would panic a bit and not necessarily be able to catch it, whereas in a car, I think that I could 99% of the time.  So despite the 4WD and chunky tires, I feel more confident driving the Civic in icy conditions.  The truck also had a pretty choppy ride compared to the Civic.

Thirdly, Saturday morning was cold and frosty.  I remote started it 5 minutes before I left home, as I would with my car and when I got in, the windshield was still frozen and the cabin took ages to heat up.  In 5 minutes, my car would have been defrosted and warm.

Fourthly, parking and manoeuvrability.  I had to go to the mall and the parking lot was quite busy.  Normally I would park closer but due to the size of the thing decided that parking in front of the abandoned Target store would be a better idea.  Walking a bit further and getting some exercise wasn't necessarily a bad thing and it wasn't too cold but if it had been and I had lots of shopping to carry, it would have been a bit of a PITA.  I later went to the supermarket, which was also busy and thanks to the turning circle of an oil tanker, had to back up and hold up traffic to make it around a corner that my car or a smaller SUV would have managed in one go no sweat!

Fifthly, practicality.  Yes, I was able to transport my purchases (after all that's why I borrowed the truck) but the box got wet and when I went into the supermarket, I had to leave my $700 fireplace unsecure in the back (fortunately no-one took it).  I wanted to park in the middle where less people would see it but the parking spaces were too tight, so I had to park on the edge where it was more vulnerable to the casual thief.

Sixthly, running costs.  I averaged 16L/100km (double what I get in the Civic) and used $40 of gas on one trip.  $40 of gas would typically do that trip 5 times in the Civic.   My boss lives in town, doesn't need a truck for work and yet has a 2nd mortgage on a truck and pays someone with a car to drive him to work because the truck uses too much gas.  I have never understood why he doesn't just sell the truck and get a nice car/SUV that he could actually use!

Performance?  Yes, it is marginally faster than the Civic I expect but for over double the power (5.3 V8) that doesn't seem that great.  It seems like a bit of a waste of a nice engine, as in a decent car, it would be properly quick.  For me, diesel seems to make more sense in a truck.

OK, so unsurprisingly it was harder to park and used more fuel than my car but it wasn't that quick.  Yes, it got the job done and I would never have been able to fit those purchases in my Civic but then a smaller wagon/van/SUV/crossover would have too, been easier to park, used a lot less gas and my purchases would have been secure.  For that matter, I rented a VW T5 Transporter cargo van (diesel of course) in the UK once and it was lovely to drive, did 40mpg and had a huge cargo area, so it's a shame that you can't buy anything like that here.

For me, I like the idea of a truck more than the reality then.  For 99% of my use, it is worse than a car, especially in town.  I can see if you really work your truck, loading it up and towing why you might love it though. ;)  I prefer the older trucks (pre-2004), as they are a bit more honest about their utilitarian purpose and a bit less about showing off!  I review vehicles for the local newspaper and will be reviewing the new GMC Canyon and Toyota Tacoma next year, so maybe a smaller truck will make more sense to me?

Am I alone in not really being a truck guy?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: Not really a truck fan. Am I alone?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 11:25:14 am »
I own a truck, and wouldn't be without one at this point in my life.  It is used regularly for hauling dirt bikes, building supplies, etc. and pulling our RV.  However, due to reasons you mention, I much prefer driving a car.  Heck, I enjoy driving our CR-V more than my truck (except for the difference in power).  It rides and handles better, is easier to park, and is better on fuel.   
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 11:31:35 am »
I own a truck, and wouldn't be without one at this point in my life.  It is used regularly for hauling dirt bikes, building supplies, etc. and pulling our RV.  However, due to reasons you mention, I much prefer driving a car.  Heck, I enjoy driving our CR-V more than my truck (except for the difference in power).  It rides and handles better, is easier to park, and is better on fuel.

Thanks.  Your reasons for owning a truck all make complete sense but I'm glad you feel the same about the drive.  I'm guessing that a lot of people who own a truck don't use it for the things that you mention though. :)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 11:32:13 am »
You are not alone.   I can not think of any reason that I'd ever even rent a truck let alone own one.    But then I have no real concept of rural Manitoba either.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 11:40:54 am »
well...

i like trucks.   for the most part.

whenever i rent one, I sort of get why people buy trucks.

you sit so high above the ground, you can ACTUALLY SEE over the other F-ING trucks blocking the forward views, feels powerful, lots and lots of room inside and in the "trunk", etc.
i get trucks..  and If i could afford the upkeep, I would drive one or at least have one around, but not being a trademen/living on farm/contractor etc, i just can't justify having one.

presence of so many :
rolling coal,
lifted,
brodozered,
leaving trailer hitches on when not trailering,
etc...

don't help either...

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 11:50:54 am »
I have this weird idea that vehicles have purposes, and trying to use one vehicle for a purpose totally unsuited is a bad idea.  A truck is made for carrying stuff.  If that's what you're doing, a truck is a good choice.

That said, I remember one Christmas when my brother and his wife delivered a wood stove to my parents in a first-gen Honda Civic.  Still have no idea how they made it fit.  It was a real challenge to get it unloaded.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 11:52:56 am »
Has a lil 1997 FORD RANGER......3L V6 thirstier than a Scotsman on Hogmanay......son wanted it then crapped out on the done deal so Dad took it....fun for 5 years as a winter beater,garden dross remover
and golf bag carrier in summer..only sat 2...so of minimal REAL use..wifey said enuf it's leaking oil on the driveway..miss it somewhat.......these newer BIG ARSE trucks are statements not useful for most drivers..BUT GM and Ford and Marchionne would be broke without THEM :light: :pimp: ..just like Porsche and Cayenne..pepper the plebs with big shyte ans some will stick.... :'( :run:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 11:54:46 am »
Oddly I really liked owning (briefly) my little Mazda B2000 mini truck. My wife's full size F150 does nothing for me.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 11:54:58 am »
I am perfectly happy daily driving a full size truck, even as a city commuter. I find them comfortable, love the extra vision (especially in the city) and of course the utility of it. However, I'd much rather have a proper full-sized SUV like a Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban. The weather is so frequently wet here that the covered "bed" makes much more sense to me.

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 12:19:24 pm »
Has a lil 1997 FORD RANGER......3L V6 thirstier than a Scotsman on Hogmanay......son wanted it then crapped out on the done deal so Dad took it....fun for 5 years as a winter beater,garden dross remover
and golf bag carrier in summer..only sat 2...so of minimal REAL use..wifey said enuf it's leaking oil on the driveway..miss it somewhat.......these newer BIG ARSE trucks are statements not useful for most drivers..BUT GM and Ford and Marchionne would be broke without THEM :light: :pimp: ..just like Porsche and Cayenne..pepper the plebs with big shyte ans some will stick.... :'( :run:

That's the first of your posts that I have actually understood ;)  Yeah, I could probably get on board with a Ranger or even a Tahoe but a modern full-size truck as my only vehicle?  Nah.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 12:50:12 pm »
Heh, I enjoy having a truck.  The list of reasons you provided don't bother me, even the fuel consumption since I only put on 10k km per year.   Also, mine heats up fast and gets stupid hot - so I consider that a plus.

I am not always using it for its intended purpose but when I do, man is it nice to have.  So much easier than renting one, which people always present as a viable alternative but neglect that it's a massive PIA.

While only a handful of people appreciate a truck as a DD, EVERYONE appreciates a friend who has a truck.

Also, nitpicking but the numbers in this sentence don't really add up:

Sixthly, running costs.  I averaged 16L/100km (double what I get in the Civic) and used $40 of gas on one trip.  $40 of gas would typically do that trip 5 times in the Civic. 
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 01:03:22 pm »
Heh, I enjoy having a truck.  The list of reasons you provided don't bother me, even the fuel consumption since I only put on 10k km per year.   Also, mine heats up fast and gets stupid hot - so I consider that a plus.

I am not always using it for its intended purpose but when I do, man is it nice to have.  So much easier than renting one, which people always present as a viable alternative but neglect that it's a massive PIA.

While only a handful of people appreciate a truck as a DD, EVERYONE appreciates a friend who has a truck.

Sixthly, running costs.  I averaged 16L/100km (double what I get in the Civic) and used $40 of gas on one trip.  $40 of gas would typically do that trip 5 times in the Civic. 

Well said. My Sonoma isn't much of a truck, but I put 200,000kms on it of daily use and I really had no complaints. Now my FIL has a newer F-150 that we often borrow for truck duty - if I didn't have access to that I probably would have bought an old (80's or 90's) GM fullsize instead of the Trans Am earlier this year.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 01:17:50 pm »
trucks are great... for their intended purpose.

does everyone need one? no.

everyone buys what they they *want* to need... not what they actually need. good thing too, or else i wouldn't ever sell Jeeps or trucks... jeeps will never see mud, trucks will rarely haul, challengers will never track...

on the other hand... trucks right now are more "driveable" than ever before.. more comfortable than ever before... more fuel efficient than ever before... more luxurious than ever before... so if it is something you have always wanted for those few weekends a year, it is easy to convince yourself of it.

going from a civic to a truck is a drastic change, so you are bound to feel more uncomfortable in it. especially as you have already made the choice that you would rather have a civic than a truck by your purchase.

though it seems crazy how many people buy trucks based on those top sales numbers you mention, don't forget that there are really only what?... maybe ten pick up trucks available to purchase in canada... the other 250+ are cars/cuvs/suvs to choose from. kinda messes with the numbers.

i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 01:28:49 pm »
They're handy to have around, depending on a person's lifestyle. I know bringing home an assembled snow blower was more difficult in the Outback than it would have been in an F150. But realistically, that kind of thing doesn't happen all that often.

The rest of the time a person has to put up with a huge footprint, sloppy handling and poor fuel economy.

The big killer for me is the price these things are going for. I just can't see the value proposition.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 01:40:12 pm »
You Don't like a truck,
 We will now be calling immigration to have you sent back to the UK  ;D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 01:51:10 pm »
going from a civic to a truck is a drastic change, so you are bound to feel more uncomfortable in it.

Yeah, when I drove trucks all day long getting a car felt like a tonka toy, or sitting in a bathtub. Then when I stopped that job my car seemed 'right sized' and the work truck felt like the Titanic.

though it seems crazy how many people buy trucks based on those top sales numbers you mention, don't forget that there are really only what?... maybe ten pick up trucks available to purchase in canada... the other 250+ are cars/cuvs/suvs to choose from. kinda messes with the numbers.

Also true, the numbers are sort of rigged, especially as something like 'F-series' covers vehicles that are totally different from each other. Like Ford saying our 'CS-series' (cars and SUV's) outsell everything.

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 02:01:27 pm »

No you're right, it doesn't!  I did use $40 of gas in the truck though and I can definitely do that trip (80km round trip) 5 times in my Civic on a full tank of gas ($40).  I have verified the 8.0L/100km on the Civic by calculation but not on the truck, so maybe the computer was lying!  I considered asking my FIL if we could borrow the truck so that I could take my parents to Saskatoon (about 500km each way) in the summer, as we could all fit in one vehicle but he was using it for farming at the time, so we actually took both cars (Civic and Corolla) both averaging about 7L/100km, so probably used less gas than if we had all gone in the truck!

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 02:02:04 pm »
You Don't like a truck,
 We will now be calling immigration to have you sent back to the UK  ;D

They'll never find me!  ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 02:10:04 pm »

No you're right, it doesn't!  I did use $40 of gas in the truck though and I can definitely do that trip (80km round trip) 5 times in my Civic on a full tank of gas ($40).  I have verified the 8.0L/100km on the Civic by calculation but not on the truck, so maybe the computer was lying!  I considered asking my FIL if we could borrow the truck so that I could take my parents to Saskatoon (about 500km each way) in the summer, as we could all fit in one vehicle but he was using it for farming at the time, so we actually took both cars (Civic and Corolla) both averaging about 7L/100km, so probably used less gas than if we had all gone in the truck!

A buddy of mine has the Ram Eco-diesel and I took it for a spin... he's been averaging 10.5L/100km with it since he got it... AND he's not easy on it (work supplied truck), nor does he do a heck of a lot of highway with it either.  I do have to say I came away impressed, since my Wrangler hovers around 16L/100km now with winter gas & my new tires  :o
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Not really a truck fan. Am I alone?
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 02:45:15 pm »
I love trucks, they are absolutely one of the most practical vehicles ever. I like having the option of picking up whatever Im buying right now, we've done tons of home renovations and hauling all sorts of material home is awesome and hauling lots of refuse to the dump. My wife likes reconditioning old furniture, easy peasy. We wanted a trailer, having a great 3/4 ton truck, we could actually just trailer shop without really worrying about "oh poop, that has too much tongue weight". Picking up sod, rock or top soil is great, try getting that crap out of your SUV. 4x4 and ground clearance is great, I only hear the people without proper Alberta vehicles whine and moan about snow removal. I don't know, a crew cab, 4x4, well equipped truck is a very sensible daily driver/family car.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....