Author Topic: Good comfortable car for lots of highway driving?  (Read 17597 times)

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: Good comfortable car for lots of highway driving?
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 10:23:46 pm »
Chev Impala?

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 01:01:27 am »
Camry Hybrid would be a good choice for a economical highway cruiser. If you want to go to the upper limits of your budget and get a full luxury car, Lexus ES 300h is an option.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Good comfortable car for lots of highway driving?
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 01:24:46 am »
Ford Fusion AWD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 07:41:34 am »
Ford Fusion AWD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll second that!  Ours has been a very good car.  Comfortable, safe, reliable and very sure footed with the awd.  I would buy another if our criteria was the same as when we bought it and if they miraculously offer a wagon version I would trade ours in for that tomorrow.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 07:44:49 am »
Hi there,

I'm a sales rep and I drive around 40 thousand kilometers per year.  We're doing car allowances now and so I'm looking for something and was wondering if anyone had certain recommendations to look at. 

Welcome to the forum, dmac79!  Where do you do most of your driving?  You haven't indicated your location.

Edit:  Never mind.  I see that your location is Alberta.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 07:55:45 am »
If he from Alberta then he needs a Ram crewcab with ecodiesel ,  ;D

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 08:51:17 am »
Fwiw my friend's wife replaced her awd cx-7 last year with a camry for commuting to work and domestic taxi duties, but commutes with him or uses his awd suv when the weather gets real nasty.  I really think awd should be a mandatory consideration for somebody who's livelyhood depends on their car for transportation, in most parts of canada anyway. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 08:52:17 am »

Camry Hybrid would be a good choice for a economical highway cruiser. If you want to go to the upper limits of your budget and get a full luxury car, Lexus ES 300h is an option.

Camry Hybrid doesn't offer any benefit on the highway compared to the Passat tdi. The hybrid benefits city drivers.

EPA disagrees without

Mark

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 09:00:28 am »
Alberta?  Highways there are smooth as glass anything will do.

I still say avalon, ultra quiet reliable and surprisingly fuel efficient.  Although it is upper end of budget and not awd.  Winter tires will negate the awd.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 09:05:54 am »
Alberta?  Highways there are smooth as glass anything will do.

I still say avalon, ultra quiet reliable and surprisingly fuel efficient.  Although it is upper end of budget and not awd.  Winter tires will negate the awd.
Avalon would be a sweetie ride  ;D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2014, 09:54:36 am »

Camry Hybrid doesn't offer any benefit on the highway compared to the Passat tdi. The hybrid benefits city drivers.

EPA disagrees without

Mark

In all fairness diesel fuel is more expensive in US than here. See "cost to fill a tank". Yet if the guy is not planning any extra "shifts" at the FGC service dept, Camry hybrid is a great pick.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2014, 10:20:03 am »

EPA disagrees without

Mark

In all fairness diesel fuel is more expensive in US than here. See "cost to fill a tank". Yet if the guy is not planning any extra "shifts" at the FGC service dept, Camry hybrid is a great pick.
I know I did not get the pricing correct , why did not the US go metric, It would make like easier  ;D
Camry H 6.0 L/100km, Accord H 5.2 /100km, Passat D 5.6 L/100km was the important part
In the end he should get the one most comfortable to drive, in his price range     

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2014, 10:25:52 am »
1. Camry
2. Accord
3. Legacy

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2014, 10:53:34 am »
If there's some crossover SUV which you think would be a really good option I'd consider those as well.

2015 CR-V if you can live with its CVT or Santa Fe Sport, which I test drove and was impressed. Both have soft(er), compliant ride.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2014, 11:05:55 am »
But so noisy

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2014, 11:24:06 am »
IIRC a few years back someone on the forum who had to shuffle customers about argued that a too spiffy car was not a good thing for a salesman.   Was it Wetson?

So maybe a CPO car of one generation back would be right and that would, to me, point to an Accord, Camry or Avalon.

On the other hand...at 40-50K kms a year a new car won't look new for long anyway.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2014, 11:34:16 am »
Hi there,

I'm a sales rep and I drive around 40 thousand kilometers per year.  We're doing car allowances now and so I'm looking for something and was wondering if anyone had certain recommendations to look at. 

Honestly the biggest thing I'm looking for as I spend so much time on the road is something that is comfortable and quiet.  I don't want any kind of sport tuned suspension/ultra low profile tires vehicle, I had one before and it handles well and can be fun to drive, but for the most part on our crappy roads it just ends up jarring you around like crazy and making everything rattle whenever you hit the slightest bump.  And good insulation from road noise is nice too, I hate driving in cars where at highway speed you have to turn the music up so loud to hear it.

Reliability is good of course, and AWD would be nice for the snowy climate, but I'm really not sure how big a factor that really ought to be if you get winter tires?  Everyone seems to have a different take on that.

I'd like to spend between 30-40 thousand, preferably at the lower end of that range but I can move up towards 40 if it's worthwhile.

I like the look of the KIA Optima and they have the better warranty, but I had a 2011 Forte before and I just found things felt really cheap on it, lots of things rattled, alignment went out quite quickly, etc.  The new Chrysler 200's look very good as well and you can get them AWD and with that V6 which seems rare on sedans these days. I had a Ford Fusion as a rental a while back which I thought was a really nice ride as well.  I'm reluctant with American cars but maybe the perceptions of poor quality are not justified anymore these days?  But I'd like something I can take care of and drive for a while, not just trade in after a couple years.  If there's some crossover SUV which you think would be a really good option I'd consider those as well.

I appreciate any advice anyone may have, thanks!

Toyota Avalon.  Camry will work as well.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2014, 11:47:19 am »

EPA disagrees without

Mark

Diesels are really losing their appeal fast...no wonder France is slowly moving into removing them from the streets! Toyota was totally right to place its bets in the hybrid market.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2014, 02:03:41 pm »
http://shops.autos.ca/a/Porsche/Cayenne/Montr%C3%A9al/Quebec/5_22256173_20080104091818698/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=6_15_22

Gas is cheap, live it up.

Very quiet on the highway, comfy, awd.   Even has warranty.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2014, 04:18:00 pm »
Used Acura RL, or TL SH-AWD.

An Avalon would be a terrific choice as well.