Author Topic: Nissan's new LMP1 race car makes 1,250hp...and is FWD!  (Read 4355 times)

Northernridge

Nissan's new LMP1 race car makes 1,250hp...and is FWD!
« on: February 12, 2015, 06:02:31 pm »
I didn't look to closely at the new Nissan GT-R LM NISMO LMP1 racing car outed in the same Super Bowl commercial as the new Maxima but I caught this article today and assumed it was a typo. Nope, they'll be racing at Le Mans with a front engine, front wheel drive (huge front tires) hybrid making over 1,200 hp.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1096581_front-wheel-drive-nissan-gt-r-lm-nismo-lmp1-revealed-during-super-bowl-video

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Nissan's new LMP1 race car makes 1,250hp...and is FWD!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 09:19:04 pm »
I didn't look to closely at the new Nissan GT-R LM NISMO LMP1 racing car outed in the same Super Bowl commercial as the new Maxima but I caught this article today and assumed it was a typo. Nope, they'll be racing at Le Mans with a front engine, front wheel drive (huge front tires) hybrid making over 1,200 hp.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1096581_front-wheel-drive-nissan-gt-r-lm-nismo-lmp1-revealed-during-super-bowl-video

I wonder why. Maybe something in the rule book that lets you have a huge horsepower advantage if you go FWD? ???

And it's racing, so the only thing that matters is getting across the line first. If it's a torque-steering nightmare of a nose-heavy beast that nobody in his right mind would enjoy driving, well that's just too bad.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 09:37:34 pm »
Somebody said (was speculating?) they wouldn't need as much aero downforce, so could reduce drag, which is a big deal on straights. It's a front-mid engine design, so the front drive wheels still have a fair amount of weight on them.

Sounded plausible. I dunno.

It still seems unclear if the electric motors send the power to the rear wheels or to the fronts, or both sets.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 10:41:48 am »
Somebody said (was speculating?) they wouldn't need as much aero downforce, so could reduce drag, which is a big deal on straights. It's a front-mid engine design, so the front drive wheels still have a fair amount of weight on them.

Sounded plausible. I dunno.

It still seems unclear if the electric motors send the power to the rear wheels or to the fronts, or both sets.

It's not a hybrid in the specific sense of the word.  It won't be an electric hybrid, but rather a flywheel.  I think their plan is to have a flywheel in the rear of the car that will collect energy from possibly all four wheels under braking, then apply it to the rear wheels for acceleration.  They haven't actually instituted that idea yet, but I believe that's the plan.

The reason for the front-drive was made from an aero standpoint.

Correction:  Sounds like it's a gas/electric hybrid right now, but I think the plan is to go with flywheel.

Offline Aliraza70

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: aaaaaaaaa
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 05:53:50 am »
First safety car was a for a BMW getting too close to skippy - poor bugger.????

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 05:06:43 pm »
^ ¿Dónde está la biblioteca?