Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Mazdaspeed6, 2006'2007  (Read 13590 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Used Vehicle Review: Mazdaspeed6, 2006'2007
« on: February 14, 2013, 06:28:45 am »

This sporty AWD sedan made for some bargain thrills, but check the used Mazdaspeed6 for rear-end issues.

Read More...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Mazdaspeed6, 2006'2007
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 08:08:59 am »
fantastic car. Nice review of a great performance bargain. Good that you mentioned about modding, and I like the sensible approach to it - you are a realist and realize that lightly modded cars, when done right, are fine used cars. Considering one as my next car vs a TurboX.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:52:52 am »
The article is incorrect when it says that all of them came loaded. There was an optional package that included the heated leather seats, moonroof, and keyless start.

I've seen a couple at or below $10k recently. Makes it a very tempting purchase...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 09:26:54 am »
Nice car and I had a great test drive in one. One of my clients has one and has even track it a Mosport. He has experienced no issues with it and every time he looks at another affordable AWD performance sedan to replace it with there is nothing a remotely interesting. Unfortunately Mazda has lost its Zoom Zoom with the latest 6 release and there is not much in the showroom these days other the the S/CUV offerings.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 09:30:30 am »
I didn't see any mention of the heatsoak/octane losing power issues these cars had?

Its such a shame Mazda screwed this car up so badly.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 09:31:13 am »
I always wanted one of these.  Fantastic car and a relatively good value currently on the used market.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 09:33:02 am »
I didn't see any mention of the heatsoak/octane losing power issues these cars had?

I've followed the Mazda forums for years and haven't heard about this as an issue.  Can you provide some more details.

Overall, I think Mazda's execution was good.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 09:52:59 am »
..I had a 2.3 Supercharged Millennia,and despite good maintenance with SYNTHETIC oils (Amsoil and occasional Mobil 1 Full synth on sale!!)..i know it was NOT A TURBO....thank gawd!!! ;) by 200,000KM clicks the light smoke on start up started....caused i fear by a lil drip of oil from the Supercharger "seals"..............this IMHO seemed to set off a domino effect on the 4!!! WTF Oxygen sensors.....and the last 6 months of ownership was lumpy engine performance on occasion and a couple of "SHUT DOWNS"....turn engine off wait  a few minutes and u were good to go..not good enuf for me tho...didn't want to spend $2K or more on O2 sensors and a bunch more on a supercharger update....................

^ speed looks like a cheap winner if all the points mentioned are OK...??? How many lil olde ladies from Pasedena bought ONE... ;D :stick: :banghead: :light: ..with a STICK in yer craw comment yer downer for the day.........Saf
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 10:04:59 am »

I've followed the Mazda forums for years and haven't heard about this as an issue.  Can you provide some more details.

I do know the TMIC was rather inefficient and prone to some heat soak with the stock ducting, nothing a quality FMIC couldn't fix. Also, I heard the engine is rather allergic to big power gains if those are sought after. Weak pistons or fiddly engine management? Maybe someone else can elaborate...Still, love this car.

Offline JasonMacKenzie

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 10:21:54 am »
I am the proud owner of a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 with 189km on it which is currently sitting in my driveway with a blown engine.   I loved the car but it was the biggest lemon I have ever had.  In 3 years of ownership I replaced 2 clutches, one turbo, clutch pedal assembly, 4 wheel bearings, clutch hose, the thing was always out of alignment and there were a number of other things.  Always did the required maintenance.  I sunk at least 12 grand into it without considering the 8k a new engine would cost.  I'm now trying to get rid of it as is.

The Mazda mechanic told me he always advises people looking for advice not to buy a car with this engine - Speed 3, 6 CX-7.

It's too bad because it was a hoot to drive.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 10:56:46 am »

I do know the TMIC was rather inefficient and prone to some heat soak with the stock ducting, nothing a quality FMIC couldn't fix. Also, I heard the engine is rather allergic to big power gains if those are sought after. Weak pistons or fiddly engine management? Maybe someone else can elaborate...Still, love this car.

A FMIC, oil cooler, oil catch can, exhaust, intake should be pretty well standard modification for every turbo out there. Also a turbo timer is a good thing as well. I thought this was common knowledge.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 11:07:50 am »
 ??? ::) Tell that to the MANUFACTURERS............................. :P :light: :banghead: ...wot else has to be Fixed after being facked up at the FACTORY.....apart from Humans that is.... :rofl2:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 11:12:38 am »
??? ::) Tell that to the MANUFACTURERS............................. :P :light: :banghead: ...wot else has to be Fixed after being facked up at the FACTORY.....apart from Humans that is.... :rofl2:

All cars come from the factory with flaws, most of it fall under the "safety", "economy" and "enviromental" equipment umbrella. I dont care what kind of car it is, I would do a few mods to it, especially on a turbo car.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 11:52:18 am »
Nice car and I had a great test drive in one. One of my clients has one and has even track it a Mosport. He has experienced no issues with it and every time he looks at another affordable AWD performance sedan to replace it with there is nothing a remotely interesting. Unfortunately Mazda has lost its Zoom Zoom with the latest 6 release and there is not much in the showroom these days other the the S/CUV offerings.

The Mazdaspeed6 didn't come out until a couple of years after the original model came out.  So you never know what is around the corner.  I wouldn't say they lost they're zoom zoom, I would say I hope we get more.  After all, this 3rd generation is better than the 2nd.  In some ways better than the 1st generation, but hopefully we will get more variations down the road.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 12:06:43 pm »

http://forums.evolutionm.net/other-cars/189415-mazdaspeed-6-mysterious-power-loss-issue.html

Basically as I understood it the car was going into limp mode or retarding the timing resulting in big power drops even on the reccomended octane.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 12:08:31 pm »

A FMIC, oil cooler, oil catch can, exhaust, intake should be pretty well standard modification for every turbo out there. Also a turbo timer is a good thing as well. I thought this was common knowledge.
depends on the gains you want to see I guess. FMIC ususally are not needed until about stage 3 in most cases, but not all - I understand that. Other than that air in and out are usually common mods, I agree. The catch can is a case-by-case basis in my experience - some turbo cars dont need them really, some REALLY do [MINI S for example]. Never seen aftermarket oil coolers as a 'standard' requirement for modding a car unless big power gains were sought after...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 12:20:27 pm »

depends on the gains you want to see I guess. FMIC ususally are not needed until about stage 3 in most cases, but not all - I understand that. Other than that air in and out are usually common mods, I agree. The catch can is a case-by-case basis in my experience - some turbo cars dont need them really, some REALLY do [MINI S for example]. Never seen aftermarket oil coolers as a 'standard' requirement for modding a car unless big power gains were sought after...

FMIC make sense and they are more efficient. Sure, the little cooler above the engine on a WRX looks cool, but hot air rises and the flow through it wouldnt be nearly as good as if they stuck it out front. An oil cooler for a turbo is almost a no brainer to me, something that runs as hot as a turbo needs effective cooling, its cheap insurance.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 12:27:50 pm »

FMIC make sense and they are more efficient. Sure, the little cooler above the engine on a WRX looks cool, but hot air rises and the flow through it wouldnt be nearly as good as if they stuck it out front. An oil cooler for a turbo is almost a no brainer to me, something that runs as hot as a turbo needs effective cooling, its cheap insurance.
I agree on both counts there. It is just that FMIC are expensive and I usually only see them on stage 3+ cars where the cost is justified by the gains. I only have done one oil cooler, in my old MINI Cooper S, and it seemed to help things. Sold it so I dont know the effects it had on long term reliability, but I am sure it didnt hurt it. Now thanks to this thread I am looking into going to stage 3 on my Saab...ouch pocketbook.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 12:30:47 pm »

I agree on both counts there. It is just that FMIC are expensive and I usually only see them on stage 3+ cars where the cost is justified by the gains. I only have done one oil cooler, in my old MINI Cooper S, and it seemed to help things. Sold it so I dont know the effects it had on long term reliability, but I am sure it didnt hurt it. Now thanks to this thread I am looking into going to stage 3 on my Saab...ouch pocketbook.

Im trying to get my buddy with the Supra to do a nice FMIC. Hes really bent on leaving the vehicle stock, but Im trying to get through to him that a FMIC is better for the cars longevity and fuel mileage  ;D Also, Ive never understood this whole "stage" thing on cars....whats that all mean?? Is it a government standard?? Are there ISO standards you must meet?? Help me out here  ;D

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 12:38:48 pm »

Im trying to get my buddy with the Supra to do a nice FMIC. Hes really bent on leaving the vehicle stock, but Im trying to get through to him that a FMIC is better for the cars longevity and fuel mileage  ;D Also, Ive never understood this whole "stage" thing on cars....whats that all mean?? Is it a government standard?? Are there ISO standards you must meet?? Help me out here  ;D
power levels are usually done in stages according to roughly what hardware you are putting in the car. Here is an example from my tuner JZW for a Saab 9-3 Aero 2.8 V6T:

Stock: 250bhp and 260ft-lbs
Stage 1: 320bhp and 409ft-lbs
Stage 3: Full Exhaust, 335bhp and 439ft-lbs
Stage 3+: Add IC and custom tune, 357BHP and 456ft-lbs
Stage 4: Full Exhaust, 19T Turbo Upgrade, stock injectors, 375bhp and 483ft-lbs
Stage 5: Full Exhaust, 19T Turbo Upgrade, larger injectors 415bhp and 532ft-lbs

stage 2 is missing as it is merely a CEL delete and retune for a cat-back exhaust - most go full exhaust in the aero so he didnt list it

hope that explains it