Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Mercedes-Benz E350 4MATIC Wagon  (Read 16015 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Mercedes-Benz E350 4MATIC Wagon
« on: October 01, 2010, 04:07:34 am »

Functionality is this wagon's raison d'etre, reports Peter Bleakney. "With 1,950 litres (68.8 cu. ft.) available, it has the largest luggage compartment in its class and a maximum payload of 575 kg (1,268 lbs). Self-levelling rear air suspension is standard."

Read More...

Randy

Re: Test Drive: 2011 Mercedes-Benz E350 4MATIC Wagon
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 07:23:42 am »
I love wagons as well, and I've got 2 sitting in my laneway to prove it. The older one is a rather pedestrian Saturn LW300 and the newer one is a much sportier Saab 9-5 wagon. I've been buying them since I was first married, and I've seen them go from mainstream (Ford Taurus wagon) in the 1990's to premium only (the E350 in this article) today.

This is really a shame, since no SUV can match a wagon for driving dynamics and fuel economy, and the wagons give up very little in utility, if anything.

As much as I like this MB E350, the price is too steep for me. Acura is bringing a wagon version of its TSX which I will definitely have a look at when I want to replace the old Saturn in a year or two.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 07:38:47 am »
I don't remember seeing another wagon (or SUV) with a flip-up rear-facing 3rd row bench like that; interesting. I wonder how kids would like to be seated there though, especially if sleeping and you press the accelerator to overtake another car; wouldn't that hurt their neck? But for the occasional around town short trip, sounds like a pretty good solution.

And again, one of my major pet-peeves... climate controls allllllll the way at the bottom of the center stack... they really couldn't be at a much worse position if they had tried harder. Not that it would stop me from buying the car, but you know, I would prefer if it was better than this.

And like the review pointed out, the ML350 is quite a bit cheaper than this for probably similar cargo & passenger space... I'd probably pick up the ML instead of this... can't beat the high seating position, IMO. I'm not sure I understand M-B's reasonning here... why price the wagon that much higher than the SUV with the same powertrain and probably very similar features? Isn't that setting up this wagon for failure??

With all that said, it is one hot wagon and I'd certainly be proud of driving one!  ;D

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 08:14:50 am »
I don't remember seeing another wagon (or SUV) with a flip-up rear-facing 3rd row bench like that; interesting. I wonder how kids would like to be seated there though, especially if sleeping and you press the accelerator to overtake another car; wouldn't that hurt their neck? But for the occasional around town short trip, sounds like a pretty good solution.

FYI those rear-facing bench seats have been a unique feature on E-class wagons since the 80's.

And like the review pointed out, the ML350 is quite a bit cheaper than this for probably similar cargo & passenger space... I'd probably pick up the ML instead of this... can't beat the high seating position, IMO. I'm not sure I understand M-B's reasonning here... why price the wagon that much higher than the SUV with the same powertrain and probably very similar features? Isn't that setting up this wagon for failure??

With all that said, it is one hot wagon and I'd certainly be proud of driving one!  ;D

I agree. The price differential between the E- and ML-classes used to be justifiable, as the previous-gen ML had  a bargain-basement drivetrain and interior compared to the E-class wagon, but now the disparity has narrowed considerably, and much as the E-class wagon is attractive, $10k is a huge premium to pay.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 08:50:14 am »
Is this a column shifter deal? Haven't seen one of those in a while...
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 09:04:50 am »
Is this a column shifter deal? Haven't seen one of those in a while...

No column shifter... It's apparently all on the steering wheel column somewhere.

EDIT: you're right, it's on the steering column, not steering wheel. I can't find pictures that show it clearly though.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:07:40 am by Shnak »

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 09:36:20 am »
Gorgeous. Of the wagons it competes with, seems fairly well priced and certainly well equipped. Nearly all of the luxury makes have utilities priced less than their mid sedans (and wagon variants), for whatever reason. I don't really get it either, but it's little wonder the utilities sell in greater numbers.

Surprised the rear windows are tinted on this wagon. Isn't that illegal from the factory on a vehicle classified as a car, or what am I missing? Perhaps having the 7 seats allows Benz to tint?
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 09:41:30 am »
Surprised the rear windows are tinted on this wagon. Isn't that illegal from the factory on a vehicle classified as a car, or what am I missing? Perhaps having the 7 seats allows Benz to tint?

I thought you could put plywood boards in the rear windows on cars if you wished? I thought only the windshield (duh!) and front passenger windows are actually limited in the degree of tint. No?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 09:46:43 am »
Didn't Volvo also have rear mounted seats in the 'trunk' at one time?

Anyway....this car is hot but I would want mine with their diesel engine instead.

Remo

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 10:29:03 am »
In Yurp, MB ships these with 2.2 and 2.5 CleanDiesels, with 6-speed MTs and RWD... AND features the hallowed and lamented W123T prominently in its E-Estate brochure. Instead, in NA, we get $9500 down-$1300/month wealthymobiles. >:(

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 11:21:17 am »
Ford Country Squires of the late 70's or early 80's had those seats too IIRC. And didn't GM do that with one of their vans recently?

Regardless facing the third row seat to the rear was done mainly to make it easier for people to get in and out since they didn't have to crawl through the side doors. They entered through what was called the 'tailgate' or rear fifth door.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 11:34:08 am »
Hopw much functionality does a $75k wagon really have? Are you going to throw a load of dirty firewood into it? Well maybe the rich would.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 06:42:05 pm »
Most leg room third row vehicle available!  Gotta love that

coast

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 07:17:55 pm »
Nice but for my money I'd buy a new Subaru wagon for half the price.

The MB name doesn't carry much weight with me.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 08:05:36 pm »
And again, one of my major pet-peeves... climate controls allllllll the way at the bottom of the center stack... they really couldn't be at a much worse position if they had tried harder. Not that it would stop me from buying the car, but you know, I would prefer if it was better than this.
honestly, i don't see it as a big deal at all...my current car has climate control (as did my previous one) and i don't touch them...the temp is set to 23 (or 25 in the winter) and the car keeps it at that temp...i don't have fumble with the dials at all.

while not in the same league as the MB, but while we are talking about wagons, Hyundai will be releasing a Sonata Wagon (not sure if it is coming to NA though): http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/31/spy-shots-hyundai-sonata-wagon-captured-for-the-first-time/
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 10:29:43 pm by dirtyjeffer »
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 08:17:35 pm »
I don't remember seeing another wagon (or SUV) with a flip-up rear-facing 3rd row bench like that; interesting.

The third row, rear facing seat goes back to at least the early 1950s in full sized American cars. Below is a 1957 Plymouth Suburban I got a picture of one morning.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

King

Turn signal stalk positioning Mercedes
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 01:22:50 am »
E wagons are great in many ways but suffer the same problem/issue as all Mercedes - incorrect/improper turn signal stalk positioning

Proper hand positioning on the steering wheel is at 9 and 3 o'clock positions.  Mercedes insists on putting a cruise control stalk where the left hand sits and puts the turn signal stalks too low.  This is a no-no for convenience and safety.  Drivers should not have to move hands away from the 9 and 3 o'clock positions to signal a lane change or turn.  It probably leads some drivers to more easily 'forget' to use the turn signal.  The turn signal stalk sitting so low also sometimes interferes with the left knee especially when signalling a left turn.

Some may feel this is a minor issue but this is a dealbreaker for me and the reason I have never purchased a Mercedes though I have considered many of them when shopping over the years.  Okay this and the fact that Mercedes quality/reliability has been low for the past decade+ and that they do not handle as well as the top competitors.

Recent reliability has been improving but I don't think they are at the top especially in the electrical area.

Jevans

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 03:10:08 am »
I am also a wagon fan... currently living in Europe and drooling over the options available... will be moving back and just ordered an XC70... best that I could get in my opinion... Subaru has ruined the Outback, the V70 is no longer available... what are the other options?

I've never been a fan of MB, but have rented a few here and they have changed my mind... sure they are the most sporty, but for a comfortable driver, I don't know that they can be beat... that being said, all I have rented are diesels... why they didn't drop the diesel from the sedan into this has me boggled... That said, I ended up ordering the T6 in the Volvo... had I had the option for the D5 diesel, I would have jumped at the opportunity... it's not about the fuel economy but the effortless way that the diesels drive with the torque... hoepfully NA will soon open their minds to diesels by the time I buy my next one...

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 03:23:57 am »
honestly, i don't see it as a big deal at all...my current car has climate control (as did my previous one) and i don't touch them...the temp is set to 23 (or 25 in the winter) and the car keeps it at that temp...i don't have fumble with the dials at all.

Yeah, if the climate control works properly, you just set it and forget it. I set mine at 21C degrees in the summer and 22C in the winter. Other than that I use defrost when needed. I don't see what the big deal is, either. That said, I know a lot of people who like to change the setting all the time, so to each their own.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Turn signal stalk positioning Mercedes
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 07:26:17 am »
E wagons are great in many ways but suffer the same problem/issue as all Mercedes - incorrect/improper turn signal stalk positioning

Proper hand positioning on the steering wheel is at 9 and 3 o'clock positions.  Mercedes insists on putting a cruise control stalk where the left hand sits and puts the turn signal stalks too low.  This is a no-no for convenience and safety.  Drivers should not have to move hands away from the 9 and 3 o'clock positions to signal a lane change or turn.  It probably leads some drivers to more easily 'forget' to use the turn signal.  The turn signal stalk sitting so low also sometimes interferes with the left knee especially when signalling a left turn.

Some may feel this is a minor issue but this is a dealbreaker for me and the reason I have never purchased a Mercedes though I have considered many of them when shopping over the years.  Okay this and the fact that Mercedes quality/reliability has been low for the past decade+ and that they do not handle as well as the top competitors.

Recent reliability has been improving but I don't think they are at the top especially in the electrical area.

When I was taught to drive it was always hands at "10" and "2" ???

I drove a W124 for years and really liked the cruise stalk being right under my left hand. MB cruise control is extremely precise and it was very easy to adjust up or down in small increments. You could almost use the cruise like a hand throttle. I don't recall ever having a problem with the placement of the turn signal control.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.