Author Topic: First Drive: 2012 Porsche 911 Speedster  (Read 7079 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2012 Porsche 911 Speedster
« on: January 13, 2011, 03:02:18 am »

This latest limited edition 911 Speedster 'feels no different than the regular 2012 911 GTS Cabriolet on which it is based....but costs 110 grand more,' reports Peter Bleakney.  All six 2012 Speedsters allocated for Canada have already been sold.

Read More...

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: First Drive: 2012 Porsche 911 Speedster
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 06:05:24 am »
The styling of the Speedster just seems so '80s and tacky.  Looks more like an aftermarket project than a factory job.

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 01:05:23 pm »
Didn't you hear bell bottoms are back in.  8)
I think is looks pretty good but I also still like the 80's 911.

In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 04:22:58 pm »
Wow, talk about a margin maker for Porsche.  Not much more than a standard Cabrio, but the largest price increase ever.  This has to be the stupidest buy in the world.  356 people were swindled, and more power to Porsche for it.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 06:20:29 pm »
Wow, talk about a margin maker for Porsche.  Not much more than a standard Cabrio, but the largest price increase ever.  This has to be the stupidest buy in the world.  356 people were swindled, and more power to Porsche for it.

I agree, it's a shameless money grab by Porsche; a triumph of style over substance. But hey, if customers are rich and/or dumb enough to fall for it, then why not?

That said, If I were in the market for an overpriced Porsche, it'd have to be the Sport Classic:

http://www.porscheperfect.com/2010/07/27/porsche-911-sport-classic-happiness/

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 09:46:06 am »

I agree, it's a shameless money grab by Porsche; a triumph of style over substance. But hey, if customers are rich and/or dumb enough to fall for it, then why not?

That said, If I were in the market for an overpriced Porsche, it'd have to be the Sport Classic:

http://www.porscheperfect.com/2010/07/27/porsche-911-sport-classic-happiness/

I was going to post the same thing.  The new Sport Classic is my favorite 911.  The wide body, the duck tail spoiler, the Fuchs wheels, rear wheel drive.  Oh baby!!!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 02:17:04 pm »

I was going to post the same thing.  The new Sport Classic is my favorite 911.  The wide body, the duck tail spoiler, the Fuchs wheels, rear wheel drive.  Oh baby!!!

Haha, great minds think alike 8) It's true, everything about the SC is so perfectly done.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 02:26:26 pm »

Haha, great minds think alike 8) It's true, everything about the SC is so perfectly done.

My new desktop.  How am I supposed to get any work done with that staring back at me!

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 02:57:11 pm »

My new desktop.  How am I supposed to get any work done with that staring back at me!

Haha, yeah, that's drool-inducing. Actually this one's my own desktop background for now (918 RSR concept). I've been experiencing similar difficulties getting work done!

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 09:57:20 am »

If you can comfortable drop $250 000 on a car, I think "value for money" ceases to be an important factor.

Besides, one of six in Canada is pretty cool. Exclusivity doesn't come cheap. ;)

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 01:52:05 pm »

Of course us mere mortals are quick to say it is a money-grab.  But one could look at it as Porsche giving a certain customer segment exactly what it wants and the proof is that every example is gone.

You are super-rich, and your friend drives over in his Lambo, of which you know probably 10-12 other rich guys in your circle that have one, then you take him to your garage and say look at this, it is 1 of 6 in the entire country and there will be no more....that does not come cheap. 

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 08:38:01 am »

Of course us mere mortals are quick to say it is a money-grab.  But one could look at it as Porsche giving a certain customer segment exactly what it wants and the proof is that every example is gone.

You are super-rich, and your friend drives over in his Lambo, of which you know probably 10-12 other rich guys in your circle that have one, then you take him to your garage and say look at this, it is 1 of 6 in the entire country and there will be no more....that does not come cheap. 

To clarify, the Speedster is not a money-grab because it is expensive. It's a money-grab because it costs literally twice as much as a Carrera GTS convertible, a car with which it shares identical mechanicals. For what? Cool paint and a Speedster-style rear deck? I do appreciate the value of exclusivity, and that it comes at a price; but make the car worth the price. I don't know what Porsche's margins are on the Carrera GT, for instance, but that car seemed *worth* the $350,000 or whatever those things were going for. Another car that comes to mind, speaking of exclusivity, is the Singer 911:

http://www.singervehicledesign.com/

I'd go for one of those in a heartbeat.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 09:37:42 am »
Interview with the man behind Singer...

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=52&i=23832

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...