Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2313590 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #3280 on: February 12, 2016, 08:44:46 pm »
If you served abroad in a war zone you should get a hulluva lot more than no fees for luggage.  What makes me sad, angry and upset?  The way we treat our soldiers.  Every government in the last 40 years has done nothing but chip away at what our veterans receive - and that needs to stop.

I'm no fan of us sending our men and women into combat, but if we do, we damn well should take care of them.  Forever.

I think part of the problem , with some cases vets do not know to go about applying for benefits
I can only comment on personal family experience

What they should do better is pay moving expenses in a timely fashion for reg force

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #3281 on: February 13, 2016, 01:56:33 pm »
thanks for some of the comments re my sale guys... the buyer is now super happy and appreciates all i did... so i'm good with it...

the vets thing... is their any difference in how vets appear in the system if they were never deployed? the only people i know who have ever tried to "get anything" for their service have been guys i know who dropped out of school, went in the service and never actually served anywhere... seems like all the people who actually did anything don't really want to ask for any help with anything (though i totally agree they deserve it)...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #3282 on: February 13, 2016, 02:43:00 pm »
my Saab, making me very upset at the moment

continuing problem that first was coil pack and spark related, replaced packs/plugs. Was fine for a day or so. Now it is possibly TB or pedal sensor related - no power at low speed and low gears/hunting behaviour in the tach, but 4th is fine...

at least now there is a damn check engine light so the mechanics can narrow it down...

car has been solid until now...hope to get it sorted soon - hate having no power!
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #3283 on: February 13, 2016, 10:03:57 pm »

continuing problem that first was coil pack and spark related, replaced packs/plugs. Was fine for a day or so. Now it is possibly TB or pedal sensor related - no power at low speed and low gears/hunting behaviour in the tach, but 4th is fine...

at least now there is a damn check engine light so the mechanics can narrow it down...

car has been solid until now...hope to get it sorted soon - hate having no power!
I went thru that, well nothing major, but the 2nd to last year I had it (around 250k km and 8 years) a lot of stuff started needing repair and it added up fast. I felt I was spending my remaining paycheque after rent/fixed expenses on the maintenance and repair for the first 4 months of 2013......but I realised that stuff doesn't last forever and to be fair, none of the repairs were previous/recurring. But still annoying.

But it will pass......
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: February 13, 2016, 10:48:49 pm »
People that repeatedly say things or make promises they can't keep, or don't have a good chance of keeping. Just for the sake of apperances or a positive answer to avoid disappointing.

I have friends and acquaintences around the world. But whenever it comes down to Americans, it's overwhelmingly broken appointments. I drove up to ski today with the expectation I'd meet an acquaintence after he finished work at 17:00. "Sure, yeah that sounds great, see ya then" he says a couple days ago. It truly wasn't the only reason I went skiing (I love outdoor activities), but it was a reason I paid extra for an afternoon + evening ticket. Plus, I've skiied alone my whole life so it's nice to have a buddy to ski with. So I ski myself the afternoon, and around 16:40 I take a break and walk to the ski shop where he works........."oh, he just left, I think he went home" says an employee. At 17:15 I get a message "I'm at home" from him. Sad, but no surprise.  :banghead:

I'm so fed up with people who can't give "no" for an answer, and instead promise something they then edit or change at the last moment. I plan my life out in advance, so it's mildly disruptive when I schedule time with people, yet I know that if they're American, 90% of the time it won't happen. Expected over the years, but it still irritates me to this day. I know plans change, life happens. But if you aren't sure, or have doubts.........just say what you mean!

With my European friends, they mean what they say. No means no. "I have to check, but will get back to you" is totally fine and they actually get back to me in a couple days. And when they agree to something.......it actually happens ! Imagine that !

Offline EtamyVu

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: honda civic
« Reply #3285 on: February 14, 2016, 08:04:51 am »

I guess he'll be shoveling in the dark!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: February 14, 2016, 08:09:49 am »
Mlin32 , Canadians are the same way
You have to lighten up  maybe  time to ask for another transfer back to Euroland ;D

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: February 14, 2016, 09:47:14 am »
You have to lighten up  maybe  time to ask for another transfer back to Euroland ;D
I keep thinking of a long weekend in MTL over Easter. AC charges a fortune to fly to YUL via Toronto though.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: February 14, 2016, 10:26:14 am »
I keep thinking of a long weekend in MTL over Easter. AC charges a fortune to fly to YUL via Toronto though.
A flight to Euroland could be cheaper  :rofl2:

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3289 on: February 14, 2016, 11:19:02 am »

Guess I can't comment on the European vs North American view on that as I only have a couple of Spanish friends.  But have to say my close friends in Canada, and the new ones I am making.  Are usually pretty dependable, we make plans, and stick to them. 

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: February 14, 2016, 01:12:42 pm »
Wow. So disappointment with a few flaky friends = assigning this trait to all Americans?
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: February 14, 2016, 01:22:43 pm »
Wow. So disappointment with a few flaky friends = assigning this trait to all Americans?
Seems like an issue I don't have with people in France, Austria, or Germany.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: February 14, 2016, 02:07:47 pm »
Seems like an issue I don't have with people in France, Austria, or Germany.

just your bias, in my opinion. It's just people - introverts vs extroverts and other personality traits that play a hole here....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3293 on: February 14, 2016, 03:25:18 pm »
You need new friends.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3294 on: February 14, 2016, 06:26:34 pm »
You need new friends.

Maybe he is the problem.  :rofl2:  ;D

Couldn't resist.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: February 14, 2016, 07:09:45 pm »
I could easily get away with just a carry on to fly to Toronto tomorrow, but with a few beers that I'm bringing up and also my dispensing stuff, it will need to be checked luggage.  And of course, AC charges an extra $57 return to check a piece of luggage.  As if they don't charge enough for the facking airfare itself.   ::) >:(

Military/ vets get 4 checked bags for free ,
which airline in Canada does not charge check bags in NA ?

Military vets should very well get checked luggage, no matter how many pieces, at no charge.  I don't believe that any carrier in Canada now that doesn't charge for baggage.  P!sses me of though, because airfare is this Country is already through the roof.......or at least it is here out of the Maritimes.
Here the info about military baggage

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3296 on: February 14, 2016, 08:04:31 pm »

Probably happening because of the post you made about Fiats and Saabs being solid! :-)

All kidding aside, hope it all gets sorted out.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: February 14, 2016, 08:29:47 pm »
You need new friends.

Couldn't resist.
Totally valid question, I've asked myself the same. I would be less offended if one of them straight out came out and said "Matt, you're a total bore. My TV set is more interesting than you.". I'd be offended for about 30min tops and then get over it. Perhaps my complete non-knowledge of American football, TV shows & pop culture (haven't had cable since university), and completely non-overlapping music collections play a role. For sure, when I start on Formula 1, the migrant crisis in Europe, skiing, karting, and cars......my audience's eyes get that "huh?" look. The engineers get about as far as my discussions on how a dual-clutch gearbox works and then they get lost too.

Or perhaps one of my friends was right: "You're James May".  :rofl2:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3298 on: February 15, 2016, 07:43:56 am »
show us your shirts and i will confirm or deny above............. :light: :shuffle:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: February 15, 2016, 09:27:34 am »

You need new friends.

Couldn't resist.
Totally valid question, I've asked myself the same. I would be less offended if one of them straight out came out and said "Matt, you're a total bore. My TV set is more interesting than you.". I'd be offended for about 30min tops and then get over it. Perhaps my complete non-knowledge of American football, TV shows & pop culture (haven't had cable since university), and completely non-overlapping music collections play a role. For sure, when I start on Formula 1, the migrant crisis in Europe, skiing, karting, and cars......my audience's eyes get that "huh?" look. The engineers get about as far as my discussions on how a dual-clutch gearbox works and then they get lost too.

Or perhaps one of my friends was right: "You're James May".  :rofl2:

Mmmm yeah it sounds like you'd be hard to socialize, at least for the regular folk...Id love to have a long discussion on the euro migrant crisis and hear your thoughts on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk