Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Mercedes-Benz B 250  (Read 22598 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2013 Mercedes-Benz B 250
« on: December 17, 2012, 06:21:05 am »

With more power, better handling, and more standard features, the totally redesigned B 250 is a tempting value proposition.

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: First Drive: 2013 Mercedes-Benz B 250
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 06:48:07 am »
Sounds like a winner. (what Gen I should have been) Now it remains to be seen if people will buy a "Hot Hatch" with the star. I'd guess it may do well as a second (or third) car for existing MB families or as an affordable entry point for aspiring buyers.
I also like the fact you can get the Xenon headlights as a stand alone option.

Maybe it will replace the C250's as service loaners at my dealership and I'll get a chance for an extended test drive.  ;D

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:00:16 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 07:24:48 am »
I don't think I've ever seen a Mercedes that I'd call a bargain but this is getting pretty close.

Acceleration is seriously quick and it is amazing to put it in the same picture as the GTI. 

Mercedes could make this a completely flexible offering if it came up with a 3cyl diesel version.  As attractive as that would be, it could only be justified if they were sold in the US as well.

Amazing that the Americans still don't take to smaller (this is hardly "small") hatches.  Maybe manufacturers should sell hatches there on the basis they are faster to reload.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 07:25:40 am »
Certainly if my GTI were to die or be killed before the MK VII appears this would be high on my list. Seems to have everything one could want except cloth seats.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 07:33:04 am »
Certainly if my GTI were to die or be killed before the MK VII appears this would be high on my list. Seems to have everything one could want except cloth seats.

Yep, having that rubbery Artico "leather" as the only upholstery choice is the only major downside I see.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +251/-764
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 08:35:39 am »

Yep, having that rubbery Artico "leather" as the only upholstery choice is the only major downside I see.

Real leather is an option.

So a B250 with premium package, bixenons, and satellite radio is $34k. That's an excellent value. Certainly cheaper than a similarly equipped A3.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 08:51:33 am »
This is and has been the anti-Mercedes Benz, IMO.  FWD?  Come on.  Lol.  In all seriousness it definitely looks much improved over the previous model.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 09:28:46 am »
The side window contour reminds me previous gen Acura RDX...otherwise looks decent entry luxury CUV.Just the fact is front wheeler hatch make it a semiMercedes for me.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 09:35:42 am »
“No model in the history of Mercedes-Benz has ever seen so many new developments in one fell swoop.”.....that's because the older one was that inferior. MB is not known to fix something that ain't broken.
"The new 2.0-litre turbo four is the only engine offered in the 2013 B-Class and it uses Premium Unleaded fuel." Can't see this being the right approach for Canada.
If Hyundai & others can make a turbo that runs on reg fuel, I'm sure MB can figure it out also.

Not my kind of MB, but I can see stripped versions of this selling quite well in Europe where they love and need smaller type hatchbacks.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:52:03 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline walk1

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 09:46:38 am »
I think Mercedes is going to see a large jump in sales on this new B class (I know they didn't sell alot of the old ones) I saw one on the road yesterday. Hard to believe the price for a Benz - right in line with the GTI. While it may not get those leaning towards the performance end of the spectrum of the GTI I can certainly see alot of conquest sales based on brand cache alone.  This car is good news as it should put pressure on pricing for the A3, GTI etc.  I will be surprised if this car is not eventually sold in the U.S.

Offline Threader

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +13/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 STI, 2012 Caravan
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 10:51:16 am »
My girlfriend's 2008 B200 needed new rear shocks at about 80000 kms. Could not not find any competitive after market shocks.

Had to buy OEM at 3 times the price. Not being sold in one of the biggest car markets in the world like the USA is a negative.

In the future our family will not buy Canada only models from any manufacturer.
2008 Subaru STI Performance Build Story

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,80495.0.html

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 10:55:00 am »
This one here is the big brother of the most disastrous Mercedes recently - unfamous A-class...MB expected sales here in North America...Overseas B-class is with a few sales and the market over there is much more mature in terms competition and availability of vehicles like this one. If it doesn't succeed as a 2013 model it simply could follow the fate of A-class...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2109
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 10:57:24 am »
I think they should throw one in with the purchase of any E class or higher car or any AMG model. This car is ridiculous, why you wouldnt want a proper Merc is beyond me. This is a Smart Car that forgot where its from.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +251/-764
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 11:06:23 am »
I think they should throw one in with the purchase of any E class or higher car or any AMG model. This car is ridiculous, why you wouldnt want a proper Merc is beyond me. This is a Smart Car that forgot where its from.

This car is significantly cheaper than a C class and more practical to boot. It has decent performance, good fuel economy, and seems to be fairly reasonably priced. I'm not seeing any obvious problems with it.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 11:06:59 am »
I don't think I've ever seen a Mercedes that I'd call a bargain but this is getting pretty close.

Agreed - between this new B250 and the AWD C300 at39K, MB seems to be "Hyundai-ing" the premium marketplace!  (OK, OK, calm down MB folks, only a joke...)

But this car does seem to be vastly improved.  I really couldn't understand why anyone would have purchased the old B-class, but this model looks like a better value than the A3 and equivalent to the GTI (probably not as good a drive, but more lux options on the B-class).

And Fob, here are some reasons "why you wouldn't want a proper Merc":
1.  Most MB drivers, as with many BMW drivers, don't know the difference between FWD and RWD
2.  You want a luxury hatchback, with good fuel economy (so no GLK350)
3.  You only have 30 - 40K to spend on a vehicle - I'm sure many would LOVE to have a new M350 or E-wagon, but they cost 50 - 100% more than a B-class.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 11:11:26 am »

Agreed - between this new B250 and the AWD C300 at39K, MB seems to be "Hyundai-ing" the premium marketplace!  (OK, OK, calm down MB folks, only a joke...)

But this car does seem to be vastly improved.  I really couldn't understand why anyone would have purchased the old B-class, but this model looks like a better value than the A3 and equivalent to the GTI (probably not as good a drive, but more lux options on the B-class).

And Fob, here are some reasons "why you wouldn't want a proper Merc":
1.  Most MB drivers, as with many BMW drivers, don't know the difference between FWD and RWD
2.  You want a luxury hatchback, with good fuel economy (so no GLK350)
3.  You only have 30 - 40K to spend on a vehicle - I'm sure many would LOVE to have a new M350 or E-wagon, but they cost 50 - 100% more than a B-class.

1. MBs are supposed to be RWD or AWD, leave the FWD to the bargain basement cars.
2. Luxury hatchback?? Wow.....fancy, now you can use your car as a tire chock for the S-class
3. For that kind of money, you can do a lot better than a tarted out hatchback with a good emblem on the front of it.

Offline walk1

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 11:14:19 am »
What is a proper Merc? The market for E-class or higher is too small. Every mfg needs entry level/gateway vehicles.  That being said, entry level for Mercedes will always remain above that for Hyundai, GM etc.  All mfgs are also facing increasing corporate avg. fuel economy requirements that essentially make smaller cars like this a must.   Everyone complained the Cayenne is not a proper Porshe as well but it is their best seller and makes them a lot of money. 
The Smart car never made any sense when you look at what you get for the $, especially now that it has the gas engine with unspectacular mileage.  This car is competitive at the price - you can pay over $25k for a regular Mazda 3 GT or an Elantra GT.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 11:20:03 am »
What is a proper Merc? The market for E-class or higher is too small. Every mfg needs entry level/gateway vehicles.  That being said, entry level for Mercedes will always remain above that for Hyundai, GM etc.  All mfgs are also facing increasing corporate avg. fuel economy requirements that essentially make smaller cars like this a must.   Everyone complained the Cayenne is not a proper Porshe as well but it is their best seller and makes them a lot of money. 
The Smart car never made any sense when you look at what you get for the $, especially now that it has the gas engine with unspectacular mileage.  This car is competitive at the price - you can pay over $25k for a regular Mazda 3 GT or an Elantra GT.

All examples of what Id call a proper Mercedes. This POS Smart car wannabe does not deserve a 3 pointed star.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 11:27:37 am »
This one here is the big brother of the most disastrous Mercedes recently - unfamous A-class...MB expected sales here in North America...Overseas B-class is with a few sales and the market over there is much more mature in terms competition and availability of vehicles like this one. If it doesn't succeed as a 2013 model it simply could follow the fate of A-class...
I spent a month driving a A-class around France and I thought it was a good little car.  Quick enough for a normally aspirated 1.4, handled well enough...no GTI... but it stayed rubber side down.

I thought the last B class was not a good car for Canada...too big. They should have brought the A class instead of the B and the Smart.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 11:55:35 am »
I don't get some of the hate that's been expressed for this car. I don't think there's anything wrong with MB moving to fill an under served segment. It seems to me that smaller,sporty hatchbacks combining decent economy with luxury features and an upscale finish are lacking in our market. People here often whine about wanting more "European" type cars. Well, here you go! As to the whole "it's not RWD thing" pffft! ...FWD is just fine for this segment.

My family and I have had a series of MB's stretching back to the 80's. I certainly think this is a "real" Mercedes