Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Mercedes-Benz B-Class  (Read 17859 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2013 Mercedes-Benz B-Class
« on: October 21, 2011, 04:06:25 am »

It may look familiar, but the 2013 B-Class is a completely new car, says Greg Wilson.  It arrives in late 2012.

Read More...

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
Re: First Drive: 2013 Mercedes-Benz B-Class
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 05:46:58 am »
It may resemble the old B-Class, but it looks more like a Toyota Matrix. It would be easy to mistake what it is if you covered the front grill and the rear tail lights. It's a year off from making it to our shores, and the lack of a Canadian announcement on details truly makes this irrelevant. Hopefully, somewhere in their logic they'll include the diesel to come to Canada.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 06:16:53 am »
I will put a turbo model with the sport package on my cross shop list for 2013. I doubt it will cost much more than a loaded Golf GTI or even a Golf R
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline davidgm

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 07:45:24 am »
Your review is the best I read: that's why your site is my favorite automotive site. You are the first to clearly explain and illustrate the new transmission. I deplore the adsence of manual transmission. The car is interesting, but many potential buyers may prefer a vehicule like the CRV in this side of the Atlantic. Watch the price and the frequency of repair record.

David

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 08:27:39 am »
It reminds me a lot of the previous gen Kia Rio in profile, C pillar especially.  What's with these silly looking "flowing" curved creases and lines.  First Hyundai, then Mazda5 and now this.  I sure hope it doesn't spread to other makes and models.  Not to say that curves don't have their place, but please not on automobiles.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 08:48:49 am »
Even that this vehicle is too much irrelevant to Canadian market now, there are few things I personaly don't accept. Both the pop up front seat back's cupholders and GPS display are not solid built, especially considering it's a Mercedes!. At least Germans began to build real cupholders between front seats (do you remember old BMW3 or Golfs?).

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 08:57:53 am »
Why is this vehicle irrelevant to the Canadian market?

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 09:28:33 am »
This B-Class was up in my top 3 consideration list until I learned the new one won't be offered with manual transmission. Otherwise I really, really like the thing, and the styling is a huge improvement IMO - even like that blue colour of the tester. Had cross-shopped the current B last time around.

Now I have to hold out hope for a CX-5 Sky-D manual, Tiguan/Golf Plus TDI manual, Ford C-Max Hybrid, or similar. If a B-Bluetec arrives I'd still consider it because the package appears so well thought-out (tho I'd still prefer a real spare tire).

Did learn quite a bit from the article, which was well written and comprehensive except would say it's priced more like low to high $30's and expect the new one to range higher. The B sells well (despite looks), so to have it absent from dealerships for a good 6-7 months or whatever must hurt.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 09:45:56 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 09:47:42 am »
I'm liking the looks of this and would easily add it to my shopping list when we decide to move on from the GTi. Maybe by then, they will have the diesel engine available.

Offline ArtW

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 10:06:58 am »
Personal opinion: this is probably the biggest mistake Mercedes made. With its FWD it's not a real Mercedes. Maybe they should sell it as (notso)Smart brand. It is disproportionate and ugly as the previous (current if you want) model (even though it is far from making into the top fugly). Matrix is better looking by far (and I don't really like that either). It puts a dent in the Mercedes brand. >:(

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 12:58:14 pm »
You're all wrong - looks like a Dodge Journey.

Must agree with David. This is the best review I've read in a while on this site. That's not a knock against the other authors - its just that good.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 01:42:21 pm »
..good review nice pics.............How much are we paying EXTRA for the 3 POINTED STAR................i'm guessing $5K Plus versus next years competition...How may will ante up..wait and see...........
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 05:05:33 pm »

Must agree with David. This is the best review I've read in a while on this site. That's not a knock against the other authors - its just that good.

Yes, a very good review - for the limitations that were imposed on the reviewer.  Those limitations? 
- Not knowing what the engine will be (or ANYTHING to do with possible specs - HP, TQ, milage, etc).  A 150 hp B-class would be a very different drive than a 240 hp B-class.
- Not knowing the pricing structure (could be a big difference between "starts in high 20s to low 30s" and the final price with options - I'm betting it will easily crack 40K with all the safety/sports packages)
- Not knowing the packaging options in the Canadian market (standard vs optional equipment?)

The description of the 7-speed tranny and the cargo packaging were excellent.  It seems to me that Mercedes wanted to build extra buzz for this model in NA, why else would they be bringing NA journalists it off more than a year before it is available here?  I get it, released in Europe first - so demonstrate it to European reviewers.  Wait for the NA press event until you have some idea of what the NA specs will be!  But I guess they need a full year to begin marketing a new vehicle in the States.  I really like the new looks, and especially the versatile cargo/seating arrangement.  But I'm with SirA - without a MT, not on my list either.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 10:19:02 pm »
No MT is a major mistake and will take the car off my list ... I looked at it in 2008, but we had seatbelt / car seat issues when fitting the kids.

You should see the comments on this car in American blogs ... so much hate ...  these guys really need 5$ a gallon gas to see the light.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

flowave

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 11:41:03 pm »
So, i wasn't the only one who thought it awfully looks like previous gen matrix.

Especially the Front headlamp opening and side profile.

They shouldn't have done the side swoop. That would been much better making people focus on the other features.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 11:44:05 pm by flowave »

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 03:01:56 pm »
2012 Fall? Maybe MB Canada wants to release the hatch, sedan and SUV at the same time.
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 05:01:36 pm »

TPL,

If you're wondering what exactly I meant, it's an irrelevant review because what european manufacturers bring across is usually significantly different than what they keep at home, and there's nothing mentioned about how they'd content the car coming into the Canadian market. The vehicle isn't irrelevant, just the review - review it once you have one fitted for our market as others have written likewise. If you're referring to hemusbull's quote, I've got no clue - this vehicle is actually quite relevant and more of it's kind are coming (Mazda 5 is already here, and Ford is planning one, and I'm sure there's others).  I think he's inferring it's not a "real Mercedes" because the cup holders don't hold his coffee sufficiently...but he's unclear.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 07:54:32 pm »
Personal opinion: this is probably the biggest mistake Mercedes made. With its FWD it's not a real Mercedes. Maybe they should sell it as (notso)Smart brand. It is disproportionate and ugly as the previous (current if you want) model (even though it is far from making into the top fugly). Matrix is better looking by far (and I don't really like that either). It puts a dent in the Mercedes brand. >:(

I know it's just your opinion but I fail to see how being FWD means it's not a real Mercedes?  Other then snob appeal of rwd being somehow better then fwd drive I see no downside in this class of car.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 08:24:22 pm »

TPL,

If you're wondering what exactly I meant, it's an irrelevant review because what european manufacturers bring across is usually significantly different than what they keep at home, and there's nothing mentioned about how they'd content the car coming into the Canadian market. The vehicle isn't irrelevant, just the review - review it once you have one fitted for our market as others have written likewise. If you're referring to hemusbull's quote, I've got no clue - this vehicle is actually quite relevant and more of it's kind are coming (Mazda 5 is already here, and Ford is planning one, and I'm sure there's others).  I think he's inferring it's not a "real Mercedes" because the cup holders don't hold his coffee sufficiently...but he's unclear.
I was referring to Hemusbull's remark.      For myself I think it is a good car for Canada and I will be looking carefully at it in 2013

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 12:25:44 am »

Yes, a very good review - for the limitations that were imposed on the reviewer.  Those limitations? 
- Not knowing what the engine will be (or ANYTHING to do with possible specs - HP, TQ, milage, etc).  A 150 hp B-class would be a very different drive than a 240 hp B-class.
- Not knowing the pricing structure (could be a big difference between "starts in high 20s to low 30s" and the final price with options - I'm betting it will easily crack 40K with all the safety/sports packages)
- Not knowing the packaging options in the Canadian market (standard vs optional equipment?)

The description of the 7-speed tranny and the cargo packaging were excellent.  It seems to me that Mercedes wanted to build extra buzz for this model in NA, why else would they be bringing NA journalists it off more than a year before it is available here?  I get it, released in Europe first - so demonstrate it to European reviewers.  Wait for the NA press event until you have some idea of what the NA specs will be!  But I guess they need a full year to begin marketing a new vehicle in the States.  I really like the new looks, and especially the versatile cargo/seating arrangement.  But I'm with SirA - without a MT, not on my list either.

This review is based on what we call a "long lead" event. It's all about building buzz. Benz will do another drive event in North America (the "short lead" preview) sometime within a few weeks of the car's on-sale date here, and then, whoever writes that review will be able to talk specifics about the engine and pricing.
I used to work here.