Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Honda CR-Z  (Read 7978 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Honda CR-Z
« on: July 27, 2011, 04:06:13 am »

A sporty hybrid? Yes really, says Jil McIntosh, who finds there's much to like in the two-seater Honda CR-Z.

Read More...

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Honda CR-Z
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 07:04:15 am »
A decent looking vehicle (which is a plus considering some of the other vehicles honda/acura has produced recently), but the looks don't match the performance.  The problem with this vehicle is that it isn't quick and the fuel economy isn't special.  Honda really blew it on this vehicle and maybe this vehicle would do well in other market (like China and Japan) but for NA buyers it just doesn't have the power or fuel economy to get our attention.  I have heard they are working on solving this problem by getting Hp up to a more reasonable 200 Hp. 

Flojd

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:27:39 am »
More hp and bring the back seats in like in Europe. It would work for commuters with small kids  :)

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 08:51:25 am »
I like how Honda has still made this car "sporty" despite the mild motor output.  It shows that there are many other aspects that make for a sporty vehicle, lightness and handling being chief among them.  I think the reported 5.4L/100km is also rather good.  Agreed the seating and price still make it a niche vehicle though.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 08:55:14 am »
Ditch the entire hybrid powertrain and drop in the 2.4L from the new Civic Si.   ;D
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 09:35:36 am »
I have seen a couple of these around...they look okay. I am glad Honda offers a MT with a hybrid, and it would be the one to test drive.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:37:24 am by 2hondas1BMW »

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 11:09:43 am »
Meh, I don't see the point of this vehicle.  I'm not sure what the sales numbers are but I've only seen one of these on the road so far.   
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 11:37:22 am »
"The view out the back is made a little easier by two glass panes in the hatch, similar to the setup used in the Honda Crosstour"

You know what would make the view out the back easier?  Not bifurcating the hatch with a horizontal bar that is right in your line of sight!

I think Hyundai is going to eat Honda's lunch here with the Veloster.  Similarly "funky" (or ugly, depending on your POV), with equally good fuel economy, slightly more power (though less TQ), more practical (3rd door, rear seats), and likely a much lower price.

But I will give Honda credit for sticking a MT with a hybrid powertrain.  Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see that combo from any other manufacturers in the future...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 02:53:52 pm »
i doubt the Veloster will get as good fuel economy, but i would imagine it will be priced comparably, and what it may lose in fuel economy to the CR-Z, it will gain in power and practicality...i believe a 6 speed manual will be offered, but i do know a 6 speed twin clutch will for sure be available...i think those curious about a CR-Z should certainly take a look at the Veloster.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline r4goods

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 03:44:35 pm »
More hp and bring the back seats in like in Europe. It would work for commuters with small kids  :)

i agree
Brakes are my bestfriend...

04 Honda Civic
03 Toyota Sienna
91 Acura Integra SOLD

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 04:25:34 pm »
The dash board looks, well...., not nice. The look of the car is sporty. But the car is so-so in every discipline. Definitely no go for me. reliability might be the only virtue of the car. But this still has to be confirmed.
Bombastic

Offline vickenp

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: fit, civic si, protege 5
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 07:38:20 pm »
i find this car interesting and begging for more power and manual

i'm driving its sister car, an 09 fit lx 5speed and if i really go casual with a combo of highway/city i'm hitting about 5.3L/100 according to the computer, which btw had its update applied to better calculate the averages

i've done 5.1 on 100% highway and casual as well

don't mind the looks of crz its a low car to sit in, like the old 80s 90s hondas

just haven't taken a 5 speed out yet

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 11:58:16 pm »
I drove one back in November:

On the way home from work today, I stopped by the Honda dealer to have a look at a CR-Z. I am contemplating getting a second vehicle. I really, really wanted a CRX back in the day, but it just never worked out for one reason or another. Then they replaced it with the very disappointing del Sol.

I drove a white CR-Z with the six speed. I pretty much agree with what Greg has said about the car. I'm still disappointed that it's a hybrid, but it worked better than expected. Econ mode is quite a bit different than sport mode, more than what I was expecting, and very unresponsive. Even in sport mode it's about as quick as my 5 speed Outback, which isn't saying much. The electric assist does give it more low end torque than Hondas typically have. The ride and handling are actually pretty good, much closer to the CRX than I expected. You could feel that it was heavier than the older car, but it didn't detract from the handling.

The view out the rear window is about as bad as the rear view in my old Vibe, not great, but I could get used to it. Shoulder checks are pretty much impossible, so you'd better have your mirrors adjusted correctly.

Whereas the old CRX had a very simple interior, this has a dash with controls and displays more akin to a colonial Viper, than a car. It would take me quite a while to get used to finding the info or control I'm looking for, though it does look rather cool That said, the car is pretty well loaded with equipment. The stereo seemed to be very good, much better than the unit in my car, though I'm no audiophile. The only things missing on the car I drove were leather and the sunroof, both of which I could live without.

I came away from the car with a better impression than before I drove it. I could see it appealing to people who make a game out of how low they can get their fuel consumption. If driving pleasure it what you're really after, an MX-5 or Genesis would be a better choice.

The salesguy told me the dealership had received two CR-Zs three months ago, one manual and one automatic. Both are still there. The similarly priced Insight in the showroom has a $4000 discount on it.

I ended up liking it better than I expected to, and the fuel economy over the course of the test drive was in the low 5L/100km range. Handling was pretty good. Throttle response was poor in Economy mode, but good in Sport. So you've got to choose the right setting for the mood you're in.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 12:01:12 am by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 12:34:07 am »
Meh, I don't see the point of this vehicle.  I'm not sure what the sales numbers are but I've only seen one of these on the road so far.   

You'll have to get out more;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/5688463189/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/5910689722/

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 12:53:13 am »
52 mpg is pretty good. Too bad it wasn't tested with the manual, but at least there is one available! I've seen quite a few now and it's a good looking effort IMO. Like many others, I'd like to see the CRZ with a regular gas engine at a lower price, but still 40+mpg.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 08:24:53 am »

You'll have to get out more;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/5688463189/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/5910689722/

Two pictures from flickr still doesn't change the fact that I've only seen one of these on road since they've been released.   ;)

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 08:58:13 am »
The CR-Z clearly suffers from the judging a book by its cover syndrom.  Almost without fail people who actually drive one report that it was a lot better than expected or that they were very surprised.  The two mode button is a good idea for a hybrid too and its nice to see that it actually makes a difference in driving.  Honda's biggest challenge will be to get people to take one for a spin.

Sival

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 10:02:11 am »
after 25 years, honda created this as the successor for the crx???   ::)   sorry, honda but hyundai produced the real spiritual successor to the crx...  it's called the veloster.  it has rear seats and it gets better fuel economy without wasting time with a useless hybrid system.  if you want a new crx buy a veloster.   8)

Well the CRZ is as fuel-efficient as the old CRX (though not the HF which was capital SLOW) and is as fast as the CRX Si was, so as a successor, it's decent.

As to the Veloster... how many times do we have to say it? An hybrid's advantage is mostly in city fuel economy, not on the highway, so stop only comparing highway fuel economies to say that a non-hybrid has "hybrid-like" fuel economy, because they don't. What hybrids do is make sure that fuel economy in real-life driving conditions stay near the rated highway fuel economy and doesn't drop much below it, while conventional cars can get twice the consumption in the city than they're rated for on the highway.

For example, look at the reported gas mileage on fueleconomy.gov. For the CRZ, the worst reported fuel economy is 36 MPG (US), so 6,5 l/100 Km, for a car rate 37 or 39 MPG on the highway (manual and automatic). For the 2011 Fit, with a similar highway fuel economy, the worst reported mileage was 24 MPG, so 9,8 l/100 Km. For the 2011 Elantra, rated as better on the highway than the CRZ, the worst reported mileage is 23 MPG, a hair over 10 l/100 Km.

So in the real life, hybrid cars tend to do much better compared to their highway rating than other cars do no matter where people drive them. That's their use, they are very useful for city-dwellers, not so much for people in rural settings.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 12:12:51 pm »
The reviews I've read rate the CR-Zs handling pretty high.  People clearly enjoy the car and the fuel efficiency is probably considerably higher than any car remotely approaching its sportiness.

I doubt Honda designed the car to be the attitude pumping apex straffing buzzbox the CRX was.  But it is a first class answer to the question of sport cruiser or commuter for a shrinking world.

A pity they aren't selling more.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 05:45:47 pm »

Two pictures from flickr still doesn't change the fact that I've only seen one of these on road since they've been released.   ;)

I agree, I've only ever seen one and the sales figures prove it, total sold in Canada for the first five months of 2011 - 326 units, however, not as bad as the Insight at 175 units (they sold 430 in the same period for 2010)