Author Topic: Northern Exposure: Santa Fe vs Snowstorm  (Read 20939 times)

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
Re: Northern Exposure: Santa Fe vs Snowstorm
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2014, 05:42:06 pm »
Pretty coincidental. The bus I'm on was just rear ended. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts the car had all seasons.

Sent from my G3 using Tapatalk Pro

How about dollars to doughnuts that the bus you are on has all-seasons?

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: Re: Northern Exposure: Santa Fe vs Snowstorm
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2014, 06:44:29 pm »
Pretty coincidental. The bus I'm on was just rear ended. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts the car had all seasons.

Like semi trucks, it weighs enough and doesn't travel often/fast enough to be significant .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2014, 11:16:25 pm »

::)

They aren't. Not in the automotive sense.

A 7500kg+ bus responds very differently than a 1500kg Dynasty. When I was in the salmon business we had 5 tonne boom trucks. Loaded up with fish you could push through snow banks well up to the bumper on their fleet tires. Unloaded they were pretty well useless. The same principal is at work here.

And an urban bus fleet operating on a tight budget is operating under very different circumstances than a private vehicle owner.

To think that someone will buy or lease a $30k vehicle, then decide not to get the protection of winter tires because they're too cheap to kick in another grand. It boggles the mind.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2014, 11:18:11 pm »

A 7500kg+ bus responds very differently than a 1500kg Dynasty. When I was in the salmon business we had 5 tonne boom trucks. Loaded up with fish you could push through snow banks well up to the bumper on their fleet tires. Unloaded they were pretty well useless. The same principal is at work here.

And an urban bus fleet operating on a tight budget is operating under very different circumstances than a private vehicle owner.

To think that someone will buy or lease a $30k vehicle, then decide not to get the protection of winter tires because they're too cheap to kick in another grand. It boggles the mind.

Yeah....I dont get it either.
Lighten up Francis.....

Northernridge

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2014, 11:19:33 pm »
Especially as centres like Winnipeg and Regina cut back on their snow attack.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2014, 11:45:31 pm »
and your "grand" is being generous...bought my four WS70s for about $525 taxes in...you can get great winter tires for a decent price nowadays...not only that, many insurance companies even give a small discount if you use them...mine gives 5%, so i save about $40/year by having them...after 5 years, that's almost half my money back in insurance discounts.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2014, 01:34:13 am »

I'm sure those heavy large suburban suv driver will use the same excuse not to use winter tires... ie they are heavy enough.

I will go with the point that city buses rarely get to a speed that would make them lose traction... but it could still occur.
Didn't fobby experience a "slip and slide" semi?
I'm guessing that the semi didn't have winter tires either.

I suppose semi may put on tire chains here in Alberta to get up some mountainous terrain near the rockies.
Work sites in northern Alberta have construction equipment put down sand and gravel during winter and vehicles don't need winter tires.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:45:56 am by Black Hatch »

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2014, 01:49:06 am »
Especially as centres like Winnipeg and Regina cut back on their snow attack.

I'll agree that is a main culprit but why not going even further like that city councillor and make everyone have AWD as well?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2014, 01:58:13 am »

I'm sure those heavy large suburban suv driver will use the same excuse not to use winter tires... ie they are heavy enough.

I will go with the point that city buses rarely get to a speed that would make them lose traction... but it could still occur.
Didn't fobby experience a "slip and slide" semi?
I'm guessing that the semi didn't have winter tires either.

I suppose semi may put on tire chains here in Alberta to get up some mountainous terrain near the rockies.
Work sites in northern Alberta have construction equipment put down sand and gravel during winter and vehicles don't need winter tires.

I had an encounter with an idiot in a Buick Enclave that couldnt get up a small hill to a 4way stop....upon questioning her, "I dont neen snow tires, this is a big 4x4".....so yeah, Id like to protect myself from people like her. After shutting the traction control off and a little coaching, she made it to the stop sign  ::) Yeah, I had a semi come at me sideways down a road....
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:01:51 am by Fobroader »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2014, 05:20:52 am »
and your "grand" is being generous...bought my four WS70s for about $525 taxes in...you can get great winter tires for a decent price nowadays...not only that, many insurance companies even give a small discount if you use them...mine gives 5%, so i save about $40/year by having them...after 5 years, that's almost half my money back in insurance discounts.

Not to mention that every month you drive on winter tires postpones the the day your all seasons need replacement by a month.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2014, 07:48:29 am »
Issue every household with ex Military FLAMETHROWERS........and if yer portion of the steet,sidewalk and drive AWAY is'nt TOAST(Y) by 7 a.M you are FRIED............. :rofl2:   Burn Baby Burn..

something aboot the smell of Napalm fried Bacon and eggs..... :P
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 07:52:45 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once