Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Avalon  (Read 18508 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Avalon
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2014, 08:23:56 pm »
Didn't read the review so won't jump on any bandwagons but will say I try my very best to get into the head of the potential target market.  Yes I like sports car, but when I drive a Hybrid I try my best to be a hybrid owner.  I also try my best to be 25 years older in my head when I drive an Avalon.

From that perspective I loved the Avalon!  Ah who am I kidding, love the Avalon anyways even with my 35 year old brain.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2014, 08:41:40 pm »
When I was 25, 50 year old were people who'd lived through WWII and they were different, quite rightly.

When was 25 a 50 year old was someone I listened mostly because they knew a fack of a lot more then I did. Even a stupid fack 50 year old could shares experience that you could lean from. I see very little of that now but they are still out there....working with one now. Grew up in TO went to UofT and after graduation went north to bum-fack NO to learn mining the hard way....brings a tear to my eye  :'(

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2014, 09:59:19 pm »
Didn't read the review so won't jump on any bandwagons but will say I try my very best to get into the head of the potential target market.  Yes I like sports car, but when I drive a Hybrid I try my best to be a hybrid owner.  I also try my best to be 25 years older in my head when I drive an Avalon.

From that perspective I loved the Avalon!  Ah who am I kidding, love the Avalon anyways even with my 35 year old brain.
:rofl: :rofl2:
When I was 25, 50 year old were people who'd lived through WWII and they were different, quite rightly.

When was 25 a 50 year old was someone I listened mostly because they knew a fack of a lot more then I did. Even a stupid fack 50 year old could shares experience that you could lean from. I see very little of that now but they are still out there....working with one now. Grew up in TO went to UofT and after graduation went north to bum-fack NO to learn mining the hard way....brings a tear to my eye  :'(
I though you grew up on Manitoulin island , which part of TO ?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2014, 10:05:52 pm »

:rofl: :rofl2:

I though you grew up on Manitoulin island , which part of TO ?

Not me, the young engineer on one of the projects I'm working on.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2014, 11:59:04 pm »
But why no Hybrid Avalon in Canada?  They offer the Hybird in the States but not here...Dunno if it's underpowered though as it's the same power train as the Camry Hybrid.

They offer the Hybird in the States but not here...Dunno if it's underpowered though as it's the same power train as the Camry Hybrid.

Might be scared of stealing Lexus ES hybrid sales?

Although it's got the same powertrain, it does 0-60 in 8.4 seconds.  Not horrible for such a large car.

Camry Hybrid is not underpowered.

There isn't the market in Canada to sustain an Avalon Hybrid.  You'd need 2 trim levels.  Canadians either can choose the loaded Camry Hybrid which has the same nav, JBL, etc. as the US Avalon or go for the Lexus versions.