Author Topic: Comparison Test: Five compact CUVs  (Read 44134 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: Five compact CUVs
« on: March 20, 2012, 04:06:16 am »

We tested five popular compact crossover utility vehicles back to back.  Can you guess the winner?

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Comparison Test: Five compact CUVs
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 05:46:19 am »
Great article...one of the best I've read on this site! I hope to see more like this in the future. I realize the logistics of getting five cars together must have been a challange. Maybe future articles could feature things like "the top two sellers in a class going head to head" or "MB vs BMW vs Audi" etc ?

As to the results its somewhat encouraging for automotive design that the two newest CUV's finished on top. At least cars are continuing to get better!  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 07:22:45 am »
funny how Rav4 lost points since it had the highest l/100km since it was only one with v6 but only a bit higher then some with a 4

Rav really needs a make over the interior does suck, but it the only one you can stand up a cart in

besides that nice review
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:57:36 am by airbalancer »

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 07:44:13 am »
Very well done....after the 36 month Minivan Comparison Test you did last time this is a concise and well written piece for people comparison shopping in this class.  Mentioning the non-runners is good as you acknowledge them and why they were not included, rather than simply pretending as if they don't exist. 

Didn't realise the current generation RAV 4 was THAT old....but then again I still remember the original RAV 4 with it's Suzuki Samurai like soft top.

Great job!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:52:51 am by Thinking Out Loud »
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 07:50:17 am »
Great article Mike, well done!  I too would love to see more comparos like this.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline jaman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +43/-573
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mazda CX-5 GX
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 07:51:40 am »
This is a nice round-up of CUVs. I guess anyone really interested in making a purchase from this category should test drive all of them (or at least most of them) before making a personal decision.

From the article, it sounded like only the CX-5 had winter tires, is that true? All the reviews I read (and personal experience with the GT model on 19-in wheels) say that the CX-5 is a stand-out in the chassis dynamics area. I suppose the winter tires really do kill it, though I'm a bit surprised that it's that bad. My Protege5 on winter tires (no-name 8yr old ones to boot) is still really fun to drive and it's clear that compared to a Corolla of the same vintage is much more engaging to drive.

Anyways, great article. Look forward to more comparison tests. By the way, you guys should invest in some tech gear to measure the typical performance figures. For me, a car's ability to make sudden changes in direction with composure and brake in short distances is somewhat akin to a safety feature.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:11:46 am »
Great article Mike, well done!  I too would love to see more comparos like this.

Mike and Jon are working hard at organizing more comparos. There's at least one more in the works that I know of.
I used to work here.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 08:15:51 am »

Mike and Jon are working hard at organizing more comparos. There's at least one more in the works that I know of.

Excellent, that's great news Chris!   :thumbup:

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 08:42:12 am »

Excellent, that's great news Chris!   :thumbup:

Chris said he is game for that one, so hopefully it works out.  There is a mini head-to-head in about a month than a bigger one in two months.  These are fun to do and I always like reading them so that is why we would like to continue to do them.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 08:43:18 am »
This is a nice round-up of CUVs. I guess anyone really interested in making a purchase from this category should test drive all of them (or at least most of them) before making a personal decision.

From the article, it sounded like only the CX-5 had winter tires, is that true? All the reviews I read (and personal experience with the GT model on 19-in wheels) say that the CX-5 is a stand-out in the chassis dynamics area. I suppose the winter tires really do kill it, though I'm a bit surprised that it's that bad. My Protege5 on winter tires (no-name 8yr old ones to boot) is still really fun to drive and it's clear that compared to a Corolla of the same vintage is much more engaging to drive.

Anyways, great article. Look forward to more comparison tests. By the way, you guys should invest in some tech gear to measure the typical performance figures. For me, a car's ability to make sudden changes in direction with composure and brake in short distances is somewhat akin to a safety feature.

The RAV4, the Rogue and the CX-5 were on winters while the Tucson and CR-V were on summers.  The CX-5 seemed to have the softest rubber.  In a future rematch, we hope to bring the CX-5 back in GT spec.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12340
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 08:50:28 am »
I've been looking forward to this!  Going to take my time and read through it all.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 09:02:33 am »
Seems like the Mazda CX-5 could use the 2.5L engine with the "Sky-Active treatment" in this platform and a little more tweaking of the handling setup should make it an easy winner. Now if your looking for real low end torque, bring on the Sky-Active-Diesel and we've got a party.
Looks like a real winner for Mazda considering it's there first kick at the can since going with there own (non-Ford) small CUV.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 09:09:33 am »
Tyou guys should invest in some tech gear to measure the typical performance figures.

I actually have some devices to do this.  The problem is finding a venue, you can't just line up cars on a road and start doing brake slalom and acceleration tests.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 09:11:38 am »
  Mentioning the non-runners is good as you acknowledge them and why they were not included, rather than simply pretending as if they don't exist. 

Yup, smart move to do that. Put to rest any accusations of bias in the article.

It's too bad the Rogue's tranny is such a pain, it seems to be aging fairly well.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 09:14:46 am »
Great article guys!  No surprise to see the Rogue at the bottom.  We didn't even consider going to look at one when we bought the Forester.  Didn't like the interior of the Rav either.  Too bad the timing didn't work out to be able to include the Forester in the comparo.  I'm really looking forward to a future one that will include the new Escape.  I was totally floored by the Escape at the Toronto auto show...WOW!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 09:33:40 am »
Will "echo" my opinion with everybody.......great job with the comparo!
Not too surprized with the results for Rogue (dated interior, that piece of c@%p cvt), Rav4 (ditto for interior) but thought Tucson might do better and CX5 being top dog.....not so thanks to Honda bringing their "A" game back for the CRV redux.
Again well done by the staff of Autos.ca.    ;) :thumbup:
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 09:38:34 am »
Totally biased review! No american cars!! ... just kidding.  Good job guys.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 09:40:41 am »
Tyou guys should invest in some tech gear to measure the typical performance figures.

I actually have some devices to do this.  The problem is finding a venue, you can't just line up cars on a road and start doing brake slalom and acceleration tests.

You can't? I told you so, Mike... oops :-X

I downloaded a g-meter and decibel meter for my iPhone since the test (it was only after the test that we were really arguing about interior noise levels), but I remember reading about a couple of apps that are more comprehensive, so i need to research that again—anyone here have any that they'd recommend?
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 09:42:59 am »

so, good job of being totally biased and excluding American makes? Thanks!  ;D

No American makes, but RAV4 is built in Woodstock, Ont. and CR-V in Alliston, Ont.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 09:46:31 am »

so, good job of being totally biased and excluding American makes? Thanks!  ;D

No American makes, but RAV4 is built in Woodstock, Ont. and CR-V in Alliston, Ont.

Flag Waver.......