Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring  (Read 8313 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring
« on: May 24, 2012, 04:05:36 am »

If you've got lots of money and lots of kids, this is the vehicle for you.

Read More...

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 08:26:59 am »
I've always been impressed with the Odyssey cargo cap with the 3rd row seats up.

The article mentions that child seats can be installed in any of the 2nd row seats but can the 2nd row accomodate 3 child seats at a time, with at least one rear facing?

Can the child seats also be installed in the 3rd row?

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 09:02:43 am »
I've always been impressed with the Odyssey cargo cap with the 3rd row seats up.

The article mentions that child seats can be installed in any of the 2nd row seats but can the 2nd row accomodate 3 child seats at a time, with at least one rear facing?

Can the child seats also be installed in the 3rd row?

Yes and Yes.

I have 3 kids and just took delivery of a new EX RES. I have 3 car seats, well actually 1 rear facing, 1 forward facing and one booster all at the same time. There are a few inches between the booster in the middle and the car seats on each side so I am positive you can replace it with a full car seat.
Absolutely love it so far.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 09:22:02 am »
This is probably the best of the so called "mini" vans available.  My neighbor just bought one.  This thing is huge!  I think it's high time to drop the mini reference to this class of vehicle.  It's become a laughable oxymoron.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 09:35:54 am »
Come on, if we need simplicity why you don't say simply "van" instead "mini-van"? Other abbreviations for the similar vehicles like SUV and CUV are just three letter words as well. Simple like that!

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 09:44:10 am »
We have an EX RES and love it.  Even the 3rd row is designed for 2 child seats unlike other vans in the class that can take none or just one. 

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 10:05:16 am »
Good review of a great vehicle. It has gotten big but that space is soooo handy.

By the way, please drop the "soccer-mom" references and cliches - I've been at under-8 soccer practices all spring with 200 other parents, and they mostly drive SUVs. Looks like the pervasive negative stereotype has chased them all away. In future to be technically accurate (at least in my neighbourhood, which is pretty standard suburbia) please start referring to X5s/Land Rovers/Tahoes as "soccer-mom vehicles"!

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 11:13:51 am »
It is a good vehicle, but at 50k$ it is in a luxury territory. And this mini-van is not luxury for sure. I would take a Grand Caravan at 1/2 price (or even lower) over this one any day.
Bombastic

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 11:15:11 am »
If I needed a minivan today, this would be tops on my list, though in the less expensive EX form.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 11:29:29 am »
I will never need a minivan but if I had needed one the Ody would be it and I would probably have bought the Touring just because.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 11:31:06 am »
It is a good vehicle, but at 50k$ it is in a luxury territory. And this mini-van is not luxury for sure. I would take a Grand Caravan at 1/2 price (or even lower) over this one any day.

The Caravan CVP is a good value, but you get what you pay for.

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 11:54:55 am »
I think I would go for a caravan or sedona and put a few $$ away for repairs down the road.
This thing looks like a dead mans taxi...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 12:03:43 pm »
You spend $30k on a Grand Caravan Crew Plus to get features comparable to an $33k Odyssey EX, so I guess the value is there. The $20k CVP is not comparable at all, but it's great value if you need a no frills people mover.

I saw an SXT ad that said 2nd row power windows were an upgrade over a CVP model... what the heck does the CVP have for 2nd row windows then? Are they stationary or roll up?

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 12:15:44 pm »
Does anyone have access to the breakdown of minivan sales by model trim?  I wonder how many $48K Odysseys, Quests, and Siennas are actually sold, compared to their more plebian base models.   Or CVP Grand Caravans vs. SXTs and Town & Countrys. 

We've discussed ad nauseum the decreasing return in value when moving up the model chain (see Focus, Ford), but this seems especially pronounced in the minivan market.  A difference of 40 to 48K between trim levels?  I'm sure you get a lot of kit for that 8K, but how much is the extra in-car electronics really worth?  Considering the target market (young families who generally have less cash), that seems like a really steep premium.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 12:29:23 pm »
Does anyone have access to the breakdown of minivan sales by model trim?  I wonder how many $48K Odysseys, Quests, and Siennas are actually sold, compared to their more plebian base models.   Or CVP Grand Caravans vs. SXTs and Town & Countrys. 

We've discussed ad nauseum the decreasing return in value when moving up the model chain (see Focus, Ford), but this seems especially pronounced in the minivan market.  A difference of 40 to 48K between trim levels?  I'm sure you get a lot of kit for that 8K, but how much is the extra in-car electronics really worth?  Considering the target market (young families who generally have less cash), that seems like a really steep premium.

Tis a good question and I am curious about the numbers as well but I suspect if you combine all of the models and order the data by price ranges (so all minivans categorized by $20k-$25k, $25-$30k, etc) there would be a non-linear decline in the number of higher priced trims sold.

One take on your question: how much is relative piece and quiet in the back with kids, finding a place without a navigator using a map upside down, and no dents in the rear due to backing into the garage worth? It depends on the family and the auto-purchase decision maker. There are several markets and demographics. There is the $30k no frills base model for young families with less cash. There is the $50k touring model for young families with cash.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 12:34:01 pm »
At pretty well the same price and with the climate I live in, the AWD Sienna I think would be a better buy.....still, $50K for a minivan....WHOA!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +168/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 12:40:15 pm »
I wish Honda Canada would stop putting the hardly-selling-in-Canada Touring trim in the press fleet ... The LX is the one with the best value, often sold with a 2k$ discount.  That's the one that might replace my mighty '03, and that's the one I'd like to read about!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 12:50:24 pm »
I never looked at the loaded up Oddy, but I much preferred the Quest when comparing lower trim levels.

Exterior looks are likely a draw for most people, but the Quest interior was nicer, the folding seats were very practical and the drivetrain worked very well. It also was quieter and had a very plush ride quality without being excessively nautical. The Oddy does have higher cargo volume, but that's a trade off for the Quests nicer seating arrangement.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 12:51:23 pm »
I never looked at the loaded up Oddy, but I much preferred the Quest when comparing lower trim levels.

Exterior looks are likely a draw for most people, but the Quest interior was nicer, the folding seats were very practical and the drivetrain worked very well. It also was quieter and had a very plush ride quality without being excessively nautical. The Oddy does have higher cargo volume, but that's a trade off for the Quests nicer seating arrangement.

Ive only seen a few new Quests running around, cool looking vehicle. I wonder why they are not as popular as the competition??

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 12:55:23 pm »

Ive only seen a few new Quests running around, cool looking vehicle. I wonder why they are not as popular as the competition??

I dunno. I think popular options are included only in higher trim levels which can bump up the price pretty quickly. The styling is polarizing, and the Quest name is an unknown for a lot of people. Caravan, Odyssey and Sienna have been around continuously for a long time. That's just guessing though.