Author Topic: Feature: Drinking and driving alternatives  (Read 5097 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: Drinking and driving alternatives
« on: December 23, 2011, 03:09:16 am »

Merry Christmas from Autos.ca! If you're enjoying holiday cheer, we offer some driving alternatives to get you home safely.

Read More...

bmwtii

Re: Feature: Drinking and driving alternatives
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 05:33:40 am »
For Vancouver don't forget (too drunk to drive) yeah funny name for a designated driver company but they have driven me home a few times and have been reliable....they showed up on time etc. 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 05:50:34 am »
CD plates helped along with a diplomatic passport work as well...  unless you kill someone.  (Russians in Ottawa some years back)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 06:32:16 am »
Plan ahead! Plan on not drinking at all if you are driving.

If you are going to drink, sleep over or have a designated driver.

Get a hotel room regardless of the cost. It's cheaper than a collision, legal fees and higher insurance premiums for years after the collision.

The risk is not worth it.

Merry Christmas! Be safe.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 07:40:18 am »
I am completely against drunk driving. 

I am even more against Provinces effectively usurping the Federal criminal law with "administrative penalties " for acts which are not illegal, such as driving with a BAC <80 mg/litre. If the Government of Canada wishes to amend the Criminal code to  lower the BAC number to 50 mg/litre thats ok with me...I'd vote against it, but it is their right to do so.

I am also totalyy against random checks such as RIDE. Imho the Supremes were wrong on this on e.   The police have no "reasonable cause" to believe that an individual has committed an offence in those cases.... but I have no problem with the police testing everyone who gets in a car in a pub car park.

/rant

Given that, my one glass of wine with my xmas dinner will not put a big lad like me in any danger of failing a test.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 08:01:38 am »
 :iagree:..............."drinking and Driving alternatives" was the Question....how aboot ....."Driving and drinking!!! ??? :P ;)".....

have a very "MERRY ONE" all.............................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

richink

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 09:54:10 am »
Please excuse in advance my random and vulgar diatribe on the subject, I can't think of a more retarded thing that someone can do.

Thanks to the editor's for the comprehensive list, but I have the utlimate alternative. DON'T EFFING DO IT!!!!!.

Laws on D&D accidents that result in harm or death need to get far stiffer. Penalties as they are right now are a joke, that's why it's still commonplace.

Our little community outside of Orangeville is still sore from a D&D incident a couple of years ago where a lady was killed by some stupid high school kid still lit from the night before driving home at 530am because "he thought he had slept it off enough". Nope, he was still drunk. Thanks to the pathetic penalties for such an act in this country the little sh!t got off with 3 years. That kid KILLED that woman and should have rotted in jail until well into his 30's.

I also hear that there is some moron ambulance chaser (lawyer) in BC challenging the current roadside suspension, seizure and insta-fine law based on it being an infringement on the Charter of Rights & Freedoms. I don't know, if you blow over on a roadside stop, that's pretty conclusive evidence folks.

You get behind the wheel drunk and cause harm or death to others, your life should be over. There's no excuse!

OK diatribe over.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 10:53:34 am by richink »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 10:08:19 am »
That BC lawyer is complaining about the "administrative penalty" for being between 50 and 79   not the criminal charge of over 80.

Ontario used to have this right imho.   50 to 79. Put you in  a taxi, send you home and you can collect your car in the morning.

richink

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 10:57:28 am »
That BC lawyer is complaining about the "administrative penalty" for being between 50 and 79   not the criminal charge of over 80.

Ontario used to have this right imho.   50 to 79. Put you in  a taxi, send you home and you can collect your car in the morning.

Falls under the category of "I've had a few, but I am still OK to drive". Might be true for some, but not for most.

So what the cops are saying with that was, well you're still not legally drunk, but you shouldn't be driving. What's the difference? I can't imagine the tow & impound fees weren't "inflated" for that kind of incident.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 11:07:47 am »
I was at a 3-day office conference a few years back - on the second night we had a roadside screening device set up at the bar so people could check to see what they would blow if they were driving.  I had a few beer (don't remember how many) but I was definitely feeling the effects - slightly slurred speach, slightly unsteady on my feet - no way in HELL I would have got behind the wheel.  I blew a "warn".

I am more than happy to know that anyone who blows the same wouldn't be allowed to continue driving.

Forget alternatives.  The message should be: Drinking OR Driving - pick one.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 02:44:10 pm »
 ??? ::) you Blew a "warn"...is that some type of animal.......... :o..definitely lay of the MOCK_TAILS next time and go fer the "RED ALERT" blow result........... :stick: :cheers: >:D

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 08:39:06 pm »

:fiver:

Offline Melania

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Designated Driver Vancouver
  • Cars: Nissan 370z
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 06:33:21 am »
Do you know who is the cheapest designated driver service in Vancouver and how much they charge per mile?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 09:03:13 am »
Do you know who is the cheapest designated driver service in Vancouver and how much they charge per mile?
i don't know, but how about the one you have linked in your own signature?
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.