Author Topic: Auto Tech: Driving for fuel economy  (Read 4552 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Driving for fuel economy
« on: July 27, 2011, 04:02:57 am »

Jim Kerr lists driving techniques that can save you up to 20 per cent in fuel costs.

Read More...

Offline Gwido

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Tech: Driving for fuel economy
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 09:07:37 am »
Those are very useful tips, Jim!  It's refreshing compared to other lists that usually mention things like checking tire pressure, removing unnecessary weight and using cruise control ::)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:12:28 am by Gwido »

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:48:35 am »
Good points.. I use most of them when I drive today.  Reading the lights and the road ahead is key so you don't have to stop at the lights and accelerate again.

Going 100 or 90km/h on 400 series highway isn't recommended, though.  It will cause most, if not all, cars trying to pass you and I think it just increases the chance for accidents for other drivers.

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:49:53 am »
Very good article
I like the photo of the Mazda2 dashboard information

I use Fuelly to keep track of my 21 year old Mazda's economy
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/c2100/mx5-miata

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4911484003/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:52:25 am by D70 »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 12:03:17 pm »
What is the point in driving then? Accelerate slow so the old people with walkers pass you. Windows down to smell the pollution and rotting garbage. Gee, might as well ride a bicycle.  ;D

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 12:15:11 pm »
This is exactly how I drive my car in Vancouver's awful traffic. There is really no point trying to get up any speed here as the traffic is too heavy and there are too many stop lights. The torque of my vehicle will allow me to keep up with any traffic without ever going above 2000 rpm. Added bonuses are better brake and tire life, less stress and happier passengers. The key is smoothness and watching the traffic and signals as far in advance as possible.

Another technique. I get in the car, set up my iPhone, put on my seat belt, then start the car and drive away sedately and allow the car to warm up under load. Same when stopping. I turn off the car and then close and disconnect everything. I also find a K&N air filter helps as well as synthetic oil.

Doing this, I can get 10 L / 100 km in the heaviest traffic one will ever experience in Canada. This handily beats the rating of 11.3 L / 100 km. When I first got the car, it had 8000 km on it so it was broken in. I couldn't resist gunning it all the time since it was a new toy. I saw a few tanks in the 13 L / 100 km range and one at 14, so I know these techniques work.

But...and a big BUT....when I am driving over Roger's Pass, I don't give a darn about how much fuel I am using... ;)
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 12:19:43 pm »
Get a ScanGauge or monitor instant fuel economy for a quick learning curve of tricks to save more fuel.  Most cars consume no fuel when coasting, so the longer you coast to lights, reading traffic or downhill, the better.

My last tank returned 8.37l/100 km over 693 km of rural roads, highway and commuting to work.  On that front, avoid traffic and short city errands at all costs (if you can of course) for best results.  This will destroy mileage on any vehicle.  I walk and ride whenever possible or group short drives together.

One last thing, monitor traffic on Google Map before you leave and pick the best route.  Very handy at times.

Oh yeah, just forgot as I watch my neighbour move the fleet in his driveway.  Avoid starting a vehicle just for the sake of having to move it in your driveway or on the street.  If you start it, drive it or don't touch it.  More wear and will kill mileage with no km driven on a cold engine.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:35:01 pm by Minou »

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 12:24:40 pm »
Get a ScanGauge or monitor instant fuel economy for a quick learning curve of tricks to save more fuel.  Most cars consume no fuel when coasting, so the longer you coast to lights, reading traffic or downhill, the better.

My last tank returned 8.37l/100 km over 693 km of rural roads, highway and some city.  On that front, avoid traffic and short city errands at all costs (if you can of course) for best results.  This will destroy mileage on any vehicle.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hmmm, avoiding city traffic...not an option here!

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 01:40:45 pm »
I would also add "learn" the operating characteristics of your vehicle. I find with my Echo is that lifting off the accelerator will slow it down fast so less braking involved.
Great article....    ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline my2cents

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Rav4 AWD
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 05:17:34 pm »
I just drove 70 miles for $2.

I decided to take a weekend outing to Stave Falls instead of a more local area for a good reason.

Gas in Mission was $1.15 plus a 3.5 cents/liter coupon - or $1.11 and a half.

Lower mainland is $1.32 to $1.34

So I saved enough to pay for the trip almost and had a good outing for almost free.

I plan to do that for each tank just to avoid all the transit and carbon taxes. And the trip will produce more carbon as a bonus.