Author Topic: Second Vehicle - Advice/Sanity Check  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Hatchbaque

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 CRV
Second Vehicle - Advice/Sanity Check
« on: May 26, 2015, 01:21:46 pm »
I've lurked here off and on for some time, and thought I'd see if I can get some help on my dilemma.  I'm looking for a second vehicle to replace my '02 Focus, which sadly was retired last Fall.  My wife and I share a 2008 CRV and I miss the manual shift and my wife misses the independence two vehicles provide.

I"m 65, want a car I can enjoy driving and don't want to break the bank.  Manual shift is a must and fuel economy a nice to have (at least better than the 10.3 I'm getting with the CRV).  Most of my driving is trips of 10 to 20 km. on roads with speed limits from 50 to 110.

I've been test driving a lot of vehicles in a fairly broad spectrum.  I now find myself thinking about three of them: Micra in base trim (spartan throw back to my younger years), VW Golf Trendline (subtle, good comfort and performance), Civic Si (fun 6-speed).

The Micra price is very tempting, but the 5 speed gearing makes for a buzzy 3500 rpm at highway speed.  I don't use AC when driving alone and I don't think the roll up windows would bother me.  I would miss heated mirrors.  The spartan equipment appeals to the Scot in me.

Golf is refined and comfy .. probably the equivalent to the Buick of my Dad's day.  Wish it had a 6 speed but with the low end torque I may not miss it in the long run.  It's the front runner today.

Good financing on the Civics this week, but I wonder after the first month or two I'll get tired of feeding it premium fuel.  Also wonder if I may be experiencing a delayed mid-life crisis!  I enjoyed driving it.

Anybody else been in this position? Any experience to share about any of these?  Have I missed an option?  Advice solicited and appreciated.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: Second Vehicle - Advice/Sanity Check
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 01:23:41 pm »
civic requires premium?  since when?

if anything, Golf would benefit more from premium fuel...

and I would go Golf.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 01:25:00 pm »

;D

Welcome. Barring a Miata, the Civic will be a fun little run around, but if you are driving such small distance and already have a bigger vehicle for highway trips, a throwaway disposable car like the Micra might be the car for you.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 01:37:32 pm »
The spartan equipment appeals to the Scot in me.

I have that blood flowing through me as well, so I can relate  ;D

Yeah, I think the SI does prefer premium fuel.  If you're looking at Micra, maybe have a look at Mazda 2.  Fun little runabout.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 01:49:12 pm »
Interesting list, and I can see the appeal in all of them. I could be very tempted by the cheap and cheerful Micra, but I also think I'd probably regret the purchase eventually. Maybe if that was truly all my budget allowed, but I know I'd second guess myself if I was just being frugal for the sake of being frugal.

Just wondering, but can't a base GTI be had for not much more than the Civic Si. Not that the Si isn't a fine and fun car, but if you decide to splurge, might be worth considering the new GTI.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 01:53:11 pm »
We have a Mazda 2 that fills that role in our house. It is dirt cheap to run but much more fun to drive than say a Micra. Still a little buzzy on the highway but the five speed is one of the nicest in a fwd. I bet a year or two old one could be picked up cheaply.

Offline .l..

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +23/-654
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 02:15:02 pm »
What have you all test driven? Just curious...

Co-worker has a 6 spd manual Chevy Trax, I ended up driving us home from a work function in it as he was too drunk to drive and I wasn't drinking.  At 100-110 kmh it was getting in the 6-7 range on the highway. Thought it was pretty peppy for a tiny little 4cyl turbo, finicky clutch though, found it almost impossible to make any smooth shift to any gear; it's on, or it's off. No in between. Might be fun enough.  Bigger than a Micra too in case you want to transport your walker.  :stick:  ;D
Fiestas are nice, and probably also more fun than a Micra (?), but maybe not as cheap?  Not sure how they compare to a Mazda 2.  Sonic's are cheap used.  Another friend was looking for his daughter (the one who rolled her G6) and he came across a 2013 model that sold new for $22+ (loaded, air, cruise, heated seats, the nice 17" wheels, unfortunately, in my eyes, an automatic, but good for her) and with less than 20,000 km on it they were asking $8900 for it. Talk about depreciation!  That white Focus on the top of the page looks good.  The Civic probably has one of the better resale values, not sure on the Golf.  So many choices out there.  Happy hunting.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 02:28:06 pm »
Well I've driven quite a few of these cars over the past year (mazda 3, VW Golf/GTI, Focus ST, Fiesta ST, Hyundai Veloster Turbo). 

The Micra has a lot of appeal with the price, but I know personally I like some of the finer things in life.  The Civic Si wasn't on my list as it has one of the highest insurance rates out there.

The VW Golf will be the best all arounder, with a middling price between the two you listed, a sporty engine/handling, and a more upscale interior & driving experience.  The resale value of Golfs seems pretty strong as well. 

You mention the Fiesta and I'll say that the Fiesta ST is probably the best hot hatch for the money.  Only issue I had was the interior was a bit below the others and the seats were much too narrow for me.  I'm thinking next month or so Ford will be back offering their Employee Pricing and you'll be able to get the Fiesta ST for close to VW Golf money. 

The other choice I might suggest is the new Honda Fit.  It offers a lot of value and should be very reliable companion over the years.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:52:43 pm by JohnnyMac »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 02:41:37 pm »
Have you thought of something used?  You could get a nice little sport compact.  I'd be thinking of a 2009-2011 Honda Civic SI.  That generation still had the K20Z3, the 2.0L that revved to 8000 rpm.  They should go for somewhere between $14-18K depending on mileage and condition.  As an ex-owner of a 2008 SI, I can attest that it is a hoot to drive.  While it may not have as much raw power or torque as a GTI, it just has so much more character.

Alternatively, a used GTI is never a horrible choice and is an excellent performer.  That being said, it won't be nearly as reliable as the SI. 

With both cars, using premium fuel is a consideration. 

If you can live with the drawbacks (as a second car you should be able to) then a used Miata is a fine choice (as has been mentioned).  They're typically as reliable as a car can get, and while they're not the most powerful cars on the road, they don't weigh very much, and they've got perfect weight distribution.  Plus, you know, top-down motoring FTW.  Plus ignore the stigma that it's a girl's car.  You're an enthusiast after all.

Offline Hatchbaque

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 02:43:14 pm »
Great input, thank you all.

I like the Miata but I really wouldn't want to run one in the winter in New Brunswick.  I tried to find a Mazda 2 but the local dealership had none in stock and said they would be hard to fund .. more importantly the salesman was a jerk and I would not like to deal with him.  I did try a Fit but found it noisy and rough .. also the only manual I could find was in Woodstock, over an hour away, and the colour is white, not my fave.  Fiesta ST also not available locally so no chance to try one out.

The Si has the premium fuel issue and the poorer fuel economy v.s. the Golf.  The Golf is also about $6K less then the Si.  I usually keep vehicles for a long time and I think the fuel economy would become a major concern over time so the Golf is looking attractive.

Test drove a manual Golf a couple of times and liked it.  I think it would probably find it the 'practical' choice but man that 6-speed in the Si was sweet!  Just not sure that would be enough to hold my interest into my 70's (not a lot of room for my walker, Picky Details  :P).

Decision almost made but still taking advice.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 02:45:03 pm by Hatchbaque »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 02:49:43 pm »
Well definitely can't fault your decision on going with the Golf.  It's definitely one of the best compacts out there right now.  I like it so much I'm willing to spend over $40K for a R version.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Second Vehicle - Advice/Sanity Check
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 02:58:50 pm »
What about an Impreza?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 03:11:13 pm »
Great input, thank you all.

I like the Miata but I really wouldn't want to run one in the winter in New Brunswick.  I tried to find a Mazda 2 but the local dealership had none in stock and said they would be hard to fund .. more importantly the salesman was a jerk and I would not like to deal with him.  I did try a Fit but found it noisy and rough .. also the only manual I could find was in Woodstock, over an hour away, and the colour is white, not my fave.  Fiesta ST also not available locally so no chance to try one out.

The Si has the premium fuel issue and the poorer fuel economy v.s. the Golf.  The Golf is also about $6K less then the Si.  I usually keep vehicles for a long time and I think the fuel economy would become a major concern over time so the Golf is looking attractive.

Test drove a manual Golf a couple of times and liked it.  I think it would probably find it the 'practical' choice but man that 6-speed in the Si was sweet!  Just not sure that would be enough to hold my interest into my 70's (not a lot of room for my walker, Picky Details  :P).

Decision almost made but still taking advice.

What are you talking about poorer fuel economy?  When I had my Civic SI I was averaging 7.5l/100kms on the highway...  It IS still a small car with a 2.0L after all.

Did you get the SI up past 5500rpm?  If not, take it for another test drive and take it all the way up to 8000rpm in 2nd gear.  TRUST me, this car is meant to all the way up, and you're missing out if you don't. 

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 03:22:23 pm »
I think the Impreza is a great option.

If you are going manual, I'd be tempted to look at the Ford Focus, it drives as well as the VW Golf, except it is a little tighter.

With regards to the VW Golf, my only concern will be long term maintenance costs...I own a VW and can assure you that it will cost an arm and a leg to keep it running.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 03:23:51 pm »
I think the Impreza is a great option.

If you are going manual, I'd be tempted to look at the Ford Focus, it drives as well as the VW Golf, except it is a little tighter.

With regards to the VW Golf, my only concern will be long term maintenance costs...I own a VW and can assure you that it will cost an arm and a leg to keep it running.
Yea..I like the AWD option.

As others have said, a CPO used car would be a good way to go too

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 11:24:32 pm »
A manual Civic EX will run on regular, has a lot of creature comforts for 22-23k$ and also has one of the world's greatest shifters.

But the Golf remains a terrific option, and with 50% of them sold with a stick (at least in QC), resale won't be handicapped by the 3-pedal config.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 11:35:51 pm »
Where in NB are you?

Have you considered the new focus? Fiesta?

The new cars drive really nicely, and you can buy the base ones for quite cheap and the most base model even has AC.

Offline Hatchbaque

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 06:35:27 am »
Pulled the trigger on the Si yesterday.  As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I usually keep vehicles a long time, and in the end it was Honda's reputation for reliability that was the deciding factor.  I'll take some pictures and post in Show 'n Shine.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 02:56:20 pm »
Nice.  That's a great car, and not really a choice you can go wrong with.  Longevity should definitely be a plus in the Honda column.  Congratulations, and have fun!