Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DoubleCab V6  (Read 25248 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DoubleCab V6
« on: February 21, 2013, 06:28:49 am »

As part of Tom's initiation rites, we made him review a pickup truck, in this case the small but capable Tacoma. Spoiler alert: it drives like a truck.

Read More...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DoubleCab V6
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 07:06:45 am »
$37gs is a lot of money, what kind of money is Toyota leaving on the hood?
18l/ 100km  :(, I have avg 16l/ 100km with using the remote start most mornings in my truck

One thing I have never like was the low sitting position  :hurl:

Headrest making it hard to see out the back  :rofl2: :rofl2:, that is why you have side mirrors
Maybe time for a driving lesson

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 07:30:10 am »
About a year and a half ago, before I got the Sahara, I was looking at swapping the SE-R on lease I had for a Nissan Frontier QuadCab 4X4 - I always liked the concept of a compact pick up with 4 doors.

I never test drove the Tacoma, but did some price comparisons seemed to favour the Toyota on CCC.

The pricing was VERY high for a smaller truck relative tot he full sizers, though. Especially as Chrysler had Ram Quad cabs going for ~$10,000 less that these trucklets / granted maybe not feature for feature.

The baser (sp?) are not bad value propositions (or were).
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 08:40:02 am »
 This is a typical Toyota piece of crapola..When was the last design change?  This article seemed to be one excusal after another for it's gross sort-comings...All this for a mere 38 grand?  Last time I rode in one of these the driving position was so low I felt like a little kid..
  By the way, not all pick-ups are leaf springed. For several years now, Dodge's half tons have had coils in the rear...And, if I'm not mistaken, ride much nicer, with much less outside noise than this little overpriced ugfest. Get much better gas mileage too..Much more horsepower, also..
   Why would anyone buy this little crap box??  Thanks...Jack

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 08:49:14 am »
This is a typical Toyota piece of crapola..When was the last design change?  This article seemed to be one excusal after another for it's gross sort-comings...All this for a mere 38 grand?  Last time I rode in one of these the driving position was so low I felt like a little kid..
  By the way, not all pick-ups are leaf springed. For several years now, Dodge's half tons have had coils in the rear...And, if I'm not mistaken, ride much nicer, with much less outside noise than this little overpriced ugfest. Get much better gas mileage too..Much more horsepower, also..
   Why would anyone buy this little crap box??  Thanks...Jack

Not everyone thinks bigger is better.  That is why Canada is stuck with the car options they have, Americans dictate because they are a bigger market.  Obvikously your going to get a nicer rider, with a longer wheelbase.  Isn't the ride better in a Taurus compared to a Focus?  Piece of crap?  Check the reliability of this truck compared to another dodge in it's class, like say the Dakota, not a full size truck like the RAM.  If your going to do that, use the Tundra.  I agree with the author, nothing wrong, don't change it.  Many car companies do this, especially when the public has no complaints.  How old was that Town Car before they changed it.....

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 08:55:15 am »
The Tacoma's a good trucklet and has come a long way from its offering two decades ago. It handles and parks much better than a 1/2 ton and better outward visibility. Take value out of the equation and I'd rather have a Tacoma/Frontier than any 1/2 ton.

Then there is the price....as in way over priced. The Tacoma and Frontier have always been overpriced and there has been many a rant/post about why. Nissan is at least cutting a minimum of $4000k off the Frontier, still not enough IMO, but its a start.

Put value back into the equation and I am looking at 1/2 tons instead.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +251/-765
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 09:00:27 am »

And yet, people love Tacomas and their resale values are insanely high because they're so desirable.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 09:03:13 am »
18l/ 100km  :(, I have avg 16l/ 100km with using the remote start most mornings in my truck

Headrest making it hard to see out the back  :rofl2: :rofl2:, that is why you have side mirrors

After reading this article, I thought the average fuel economy was wrong.  To verifiy I checked this website for other reviews, Jil did one back in 2006 and averaged 15L/100km in mixed cold weather.  After doing a google search on real world fuel economy on the same vechicle (double cab v6) I see 13.5 to 15.5L/100km as the average.  Not sure how the author got 18L/100km, and how many km did he drive.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 09:43:24 am »
Once again we get the N/A version of what Toyota has to offer.

Here it is the Toyota Hilux pickup with a strong proven diesel engine with excellent fuel economy.

The burning question once again is why can't we get this ?

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/hilux/2012/diesel%20l4

10.4Avg L/100km

Let the plebs chime in.....
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 09:50:25 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Northernridge

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 10:01:07 am »

I agree. I like the Tacoma but it has always struck me as a truck for teenagers.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 10:10:43 am »
For climbers/skiers that need to access places that a CUV can't reach, the Taco is a perennial favourite choice.  They fit in tight spots, have good off road performance, and are very comfy.  They're frickin' expensive, and used ones are not even remotely a bargain, but people that own them swear by them.

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 10:38:38 am »

After reading this article, I thought the average fuel economy was wrong.  To verifiy I checked this website for other reviews, Jil did one back in 2006 and averaged 15L/100km in mixed cold weather.  After doing a google search on real world fuel economy on the same vechicle (double cab v6) I see 13.5 to 15.5L/100km as the average.  Not sure how the author got 18L/100km, and how many km did he drive.

I drove it for a week, mostly city driving. I always calculate my own mileage, as I've found the computers in vehicles aren't very accurate with that. Also, the Tacoma doesn't have a fuel economy read-out.

I was honestly shocked too - I achieved the same mileage in a Raptor I reviewed last summer - which I beat the crap out of and took off-roading.

I have to agree with most of the comments here - after reviewing the Tacoma, I found a good truck with plenty of compromises and a high price premium. Like I said, take it or leave it - it doesn't seem Toyota cares either way, and the resale values remain sky-high.

Northernridge

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 10:51:43 am »
For climbers/skiers that need to access places that a CUV can't reach, the Taco is a perennial favourite choice.  They fit in tight spots, have good off road performance, and are very comfy.  They're frickin' expensive, and used ones are not even remotely a bargain, but people that own them swear by them.

I've spent a fair amount of time in a current model and I agree with all of your comments except for comfort. With that high floor I'd say the Tacoma scores low among trucks for comfort (although the seats are pretty good)...plus the rear seat is very tight even on the crew cab.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 11:04:34 am »
the 4.0L V6 reminds me of the dog used in the Ranger...in this day and age, why on Earth are they using such a large and comparatively weak engine...most 3.5L V6s now make about 100 HP more and get better fuel economy...i'm not sure why using a (what seems like) 30 year old engine in a new vehicle seems like a good idea.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 11:06:55 am »
Compared to a full size truck the Tacoma costs more, tows less, hauls less, offers less passenger comfort (what with those go-kart like seats and all) and burns more fuel (or at least no less).  Given its proven reliability, you can regret not having bought a full size for a long time to come. 

I am not all hung up on the "bigger is necessarily better" philosophy, but the Tacoma offers but few comparative advantages.

I'll echo nlm's comments - the Tacoma (and Frontier) handle and park much better than a 1/2 ton, with better outward visibility.  And they are easier to get into/out of for short people (like my wife).  Not to mention they fit into garages much more easily than current 1/2 ton trucks do (especially since the 1/2 ton trucks all seem to be on steroids these days - can anyone explain why the hood has to be 5' off the ground??)  So I think there are inherent advantages to a "midsize" truck that the current 1/2 ton trucks simply cannot match.  (Ironically, the 1/2 ton trucks from 10+ years ago could, as their height/length/weight weren't as big - but they also had far less passenger space and capability than today's 1/2 tons.)

But there is no question that the value isn't there with the midsize trucks (compared to 1/2 ton), if by value you mean more capability for your money.   Some of that poor value can be remedied by incentives - Nissan has been throwing BIG cash on the Frontiers (last year a loaded crew cab at the local dealer was 8K off sticker, to just over 30K).  OTOH, the full size trucks are continually refreshed and improved, with cutthroat pricing pretty much all the time.  If the midsize trucks had the same level of competition and refinement, I think the offerings (and value) would be vastly improved - and they could compete better against the full-size trucks.  But even in North America I'm not sure the truck market isn't big enough to have highly competitive full AND mid/compact size truck offerings...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 11:19:07 am »
Compared to a full size truck the Tacoma costs more, tows less, hauls less, offers less passenger comfort (what with those go-kart like seats and all) and burns more fuel (or at least no less).  Given its proven reliability, you can regret not having bought a full size for a long time to come. 

I am not all hung up on the "bigger is necessarily better" philosophy, but the Tacoma offers but few comparative advantages.

How does the Tacoma cost more compared to full size trucks?  Are you talking used?  The Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab V6 starts at $30,000, the Ford F-150 CrewCab 4x4 starts at $40,000.  And according to many websites, the Tacoma  burns at least 15% less (not stellar, but still a fact)than any V8, and probably about 10% less than the real world fuel economy of the ecoboost.  And its supposed to tow less.  Unless your over 6' and 250lbs, the seats are just as comfortable as any other light duty truck.  I find sitting in a full size truck I can't see around as well, sitting too high, and loading is a pain in the butt.

I do wish the Tacoma diesel was offered here, but given Toyota is stuck on this hybrid mission, a diesel in the showroom would never work here.

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-58
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 11:23:13 am »
Seems to me if someone wants a mid-size truck with terrible fuel economy, pick-up a 2-3 year old Dakota V8 at one-third the price.  Sure, it may not be quite at Toyota quality standards, but it will be under warranty and you can bank over $20,000!  And it looks better in my view.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 11:29:56 am »
Bony-backside backcountry enthusiasts find the seats very good.  I've only been on one trip in a Taco and found it fine.

Toyota prices it high as they sell them.  Good business.

Resale is insane.  I thought it was a bunch of dreamers, but evidently not.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 11:32:54 am »

I'll echo nlm's comments - the Tacoma (and Frontier) handle and park much better than a 1/2 ton, with better outward visibility.  And they are easier to get into/out of for short people (like my wife).  Not to mention they fit into garages much more easily than current 1/2 ton trucks do (especially since the 1/2 ton trucks all seem to be on steroids these days - can anyone explain why the hood has to be 5' off the ground??)  So I think there are inherent advantages to a "midsize" truck that the current 1/2 ton trucks simply cannot match.  (Ironically, the 1/2 ton trucks from 10+ years ago could, as their height/length/weight weren't as big - but they also had far less passenger space and capability than today's 1/2 tons.)

But there is no question that the value isn't there with the midsize trucks (compared to 1/2 ton), if by value you mean more capability for your money.   Some of that poor value can be remedied by incentives - Nissan has been throwing BIG cash on the Frontiers (last year a loaded crew cab at the local dealer was 8K off sticker, to just over 30K).  OTOH, the full size trucks are continually refreshed and improved, with cutthroat pricing pretty much all the time.  If the midsize trucks had the same level of competition and refinement, I think the offerings (and value) would be vastly improved - and they could compete better against the full-size trucks.  But even in North America I'm not sure the truck market isn't big enough to have highly competitive full AND mid/compact size truck offerings...

I agree, unless the small trucks find better ways to compete with the full size trucks its going to be hard for manufacturers to offer both.  Just like some have given up, and moved their small trucks to other regions.  Same thing happened with the mini vans.  Now we have mini mini vans competing in a little niche.  Small trucks will come back, just as commercial vans are making a come back from Ford and Nissan.  Gas is going to get so expensive.  People won't want a truck that has over 300hp, and 300lb torque, for the occasional towing, and burning over 17l/100km when gas is over $1.50 a litre.  They will want a truck that is a little smaller, that has a diesel, or more fuel efficient V6, that burns up to 12l/100km. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 11:34:43 am »
Once again we get the N/A version of what Toyota has to offer.

Here it is the Toyota Hilux pickup with a strong proven diesel engine with excellent fuel economy.

The burning question once again is why can't we get this ?

10.4Avg L/100km

Let the plebs chime in.....

...because of idiots who think they need the biggest, fastest, most fuel inefficient trucks that US Domestics can offer.

On a drive to Toronto from Barrie yesterday, an a$$ in his 'cool' Ram 3500 blanged out with faux xenon lights (i.e. skyhawks aimed directly out) decided to floor it to tailgate every person in the left lane.  Karma bit him in the ass when he was pulled over.  God I hope he was charged with dangerous driving, 50km/h over, and a slew of others.  All I know is that he had nothing in the truck bed, and yet used more gas in that drive than I do all month.