Author Topic: Corrosion Free's Rustproofing Experiences  (Read 109976 times)

Offline maritime_storm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +5/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Ranger Sport 2WD, 2013 Scion FR-S 6spd Whiteout
Re: Corrosion Free's Rustproofing Experiences
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 08:41:03 am »
We apply it at work, I use on my truck. As to whether it is better or worse than Krown, I can't say with any authority. It does seem to work well and doesn't leave a mess. Like any undercoating, the guy with the gun makes as much a difference as the product. If it doesn't get applied where it's needed than it won't do any good. The local rep. for Corrosion Free told it's best to apply it in late summer with a dry day before and a couple of dry days after, until it congeles water can wash some of it off, ie don't spray the car a day before a rain storm or take a pressure washer to the underneath of your car for the first few days.
Save the Earth, Ban slushboxes!! Real Trucks Rattle!!

novaman

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 09:49:31 am »
The warranty is worthless!!

After a bit of research, I decided to go with Corrosion Free here in Nova Scotia, the rust captial of the world.  I think the product is decent, but I am very displeased with the company and their lies.  One of the main reasons I chose it was for the warranty-- it even covers the brake lines and cables!  My parking brake cable siezed up, so I asked the dealer who applied it and he said, "Sure, just get the work done and send CF the receipt for reimbursement."  After a couple of months of arm twisting (getting no response at all from CF), the dealer got involved (I had referred about a dozen friends to him) and they paid the $300 or so, but only after advising me that there was only one claim allowed on a vehicle!  About a year later, Toyota had a recall on their 2004 Sienna Vans because the cables that hold the spare tire were rusting out.  I thought mine would be fine because I had CF applied regularly.  The Toyota dealer said that the cables on some of the vans they had inspected were okay, but mine was not!  CF did not protect it!  This year, I took both of my vheicles to Krown.  It did drip for a a few days, but that was not a big deal. CF is an okay product-- my cars would be worse without it; but I used them because of their superior warranty-- ha ha! I am through with them.
CF is probably just like Krown, good products, but only if there applied properly. I have used both. Krown for years, and just last year started to use CF. It was applied at Canadian Tire, here in Kingston, and I wasn't satisfied with the way it was applied. Underneath, the car looked fine, however, I paid for a complete and inside the trunk lid was not touched nor was there any eveidence that the door bottoms were done. I called CF and talked to them about it and they offered to call CTC and discuss it with them and have me take the car back over to them. However, I wasn't driving the car in the winter and already had the insurance off. So they sent me a free can of CF so I could do it my self. Krown is pretty good stuff, however, I don't like the dripping, and again it's only as good as the guy applying it. 

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 09:46:02 pm »
Has anyone had any experiences rustproofing their car with Corrosion FREE's solution for rustproofing?

Nope, I am a Krown T-40 user, since 1990.

The cars that it was used on:
- a 1990 Toyota Tercel bought new and sold 16 years later...no rust.
- my 1999 Honda CR-V bought new and 12 years later, still no rust.

As for "no rust", I'd know. I'm under them every year applying the product to my own cars.

Why would I switch from a product that works.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

johnsokratis

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2011, 08:42:14 pm »
I live in Barrie and had my Vehicles oil sprayed every year by krown. This year I decided is my last year. There was so much oil on my truck brakes it scared the crap out of me the first time I tried to stop. It seems to get worse every year, the quicker they get them through the more mony they make i guess. I know some gets on the brakes, but both my vehicles had problems. One still makes annoying sounds when your creeping ahead with your foot on the brake, they said it goes away(still waiting) Not to mention oil on the pedels steering. I know nothing about this non drip stuff, next year I will look them up.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2011, 10:35:41 pm »
We picked up a brochure for this product at Canadian Tire and plan to have our car sprayed soon.
We have just read an Article in MONEYSENSE (Dec/Jan 2011)  which quotes "About two years ago the Canadian army tested every rust-proofing brand on the market" Top Pick was Corrosion FREE's Formula 3000, with an 83% success rate. Other brands rated as low as 28%.  Wash your car's undercarriage before taking it in, and stay away from sprays that are thick or waxy "Those promote air pockets, and that's where you get rust".

Land Force Central Area Training Centre Meaford (also LFCA TC Meaford) is a Canadian Forces training facility operated by Land Force Central Area (LFCA) of Land Force Command (LFC).

It is located in Grey County, Ontario, northwest of the Meaford townsite and approximately 25 km east of Owen Sound on a peninsula extending into Georgian Bay

Any road legal vehicle from this base is sprayed out doors at the Krown Store in Owen Sound and has been for years.

The article is BS.  Phone the Base and ask.  :)

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 10:37:25 pm by articsteve »

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2011, 10:57:45 am »
The theory behind it sounds interesting but does it actually work?

Who knows. I already use a product that has proven itself on the last vehicle (sold it rust free when it was 16 years old) and later tested it in our labs amongst other products. My present vehicle is in its 13th year...it'll wear out before it rusts.

gordboc

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 09:17:36 am »
We picked up a brochure for this product at Canadian Tire and plan to have our car sprayed soon.
We have just read an Article in MONEYSENSE (Dec/Jan 2011)  which quotes "About two years ago the Canadian army tested every rust-proofing brand on the market" Top Pick was Corrosion FREE's Formula 3000, with an 83% success rate. Other brands rated as low as 28%.  Wash your car's undercarriage before taking it in, and stay away from sprays that are thick or waxy "Those promote air pockets, and that's where you get rust".

Land Force Central Area Training Centre Meaford (also LFCA TC Meaford) is a Canadian Forces training facility operated by Land Force Central Area (LFCA) of Land Force Command (LFC).

It is located in Grey County, Ontario, northwest of the Meaford townsite and approximately 25 km east of Owen Sound on a peninsula extending into Georgian Bay

Any road legal vehicle from this base is sprayed out doors at the Krown Store in Owen Sound and has been for years.

The article is BS.  Phone the Base and ask.  :)

You are BOTH correct. Corrosion FREE's Formula 3000 is not being used by the Canadian Army but the STUDY it conducted identified Corrosion FREE's Formula 3000 as the best at stopping corrosion on copper and aluminum test bolts.

I cannot supply the link to the study as I just signed up to Autos.ca but Google it using search “Canadian Army corrosion study”.

Hope this helps.

Gord

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 09:39:46 pm »
We have just read an Article in MONEYSENSE (Dec/Jan 2011)  which quotes "About two years ago the Canadian army tested every rust-proofing brand on the market".

I wonder what lab they tested it in...not ours in the CF.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 09:52:35 pm »
Corrosion FREE's Formula 3000 is not being used by the Canadian Army but the STUDY it conducted identified Corrosion FREE's Formula 3000 as the best at stopping corrosion on copper and aluminum test bolts.

I cannot supply the link to the study as I just signed up to Autos.ca but Google it using search “Canadian Army corrosion study”.

Hope this helps.
Gord

In fact we at the CF labs did testing on a few products some ten years ago. Testing included many aspects.

That report mentioned by MoneySense refers to was put out by DRDC.
http://pubs.drdc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc53/p526285.pdf

QETE is mentioned on page 9 of that report...sure enough we tested the products in 1999.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:00:04 pm by No H2O »

richink

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 11:43:06 am »
This whole thread still utterly reeks of  :spam: with one poster's (shall we say dealers of this product) signing in to make claims about this anti-corrosion product.

I'm leery of such claims, but it can't be bad.

My two cents - Krown is proven and economical, PERIOD. don't fix it if it ain't broke...

SUBURBAN!

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2011, 02:22:19 am »
I had a THOROUGH application of Krown on a west coast 84 K5 Blazer, and as I reported in a previous post, it did ZERO to protect the inner fenders and "wash" areas. It seems like way too thin or light oil. I recently found Fluid Film, and used 5 gallons on two RUST FREE Suburbans. It has a consistency like jam, and I'll report on how it holds out.

I did the application myself, using the air powered gun supplied with the $220US kit.

Pictured are my 2 Suburbans, an '84 From San Francisco, and a '95 I just drove back from Phoenix 2 months ago, and the supplied 360d sprayer from Fluid Film.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2011, 10:02:48 am »
I think I've read this story before, but where?   ;D :P

richink

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2011, 11:08:30 am »
These threads tend to be mecca's for dealer's and peddler's of such products to the uneducated.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2011, 11:31:27 am »
And don't forget too many apostrophes.  :rofl:

richink

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2011, 12:36:03 pm »
 :laugh: :banghead: :spam: :run:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2011, 02:24:00 pm »
woz's a' matter's wif's youz'e cat's got's yer tounge's Krown's and other's i's where's it's at's............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

SUBURBAN!

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2011, 01:54:59 am »
I'm not a dealer or reseller or paid by anyone. I report what I find. I'm gonna ask Fluid Film if they'll sell me some thicker product for the inner fenders, as I noticed it's washing away.

I make my money with my day job, and I've considered going into a side business applying FF, but it's much more time consuming than I thought, and I already put in 70 hour weeks

Offline chriskwarren

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Elantra GT
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, 05:02:18 pm »
Just had Corrosion Free done at Canadian Tire in Ajax....I had some issues getting these guys to do it (showed up once and they would not do it because they were too busy, even though I called ahead and was told to come in, and today they ran out of application and I have to go back again so they can finish...), but in this post I have a question about their application itself.

I was under the impression Corrosion Free was clear, but after I got it back there was a runny, thick, brown substance in the areas they said they did it.

I have attached a couple of sample pictures....is this what it should look like after it is applied? I thought it was clear.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2012, 07:24:36 pm »
Don't bother going back, that "treatment" is useless.  We used that same "WAX OIL" type application at our Toyota store for years.  I had my son spraying on Saturdays and he hit the exact same spots vis-a-vis your photos.  It does dry yellow like that particularly on a white car.  Eventually, we torn down the building we used to spray to build another store and sent customers down to Krown.  Currently we sell "electronic" corrosion protection which is actually an insurance product.  No mess.  High gross.  :)

Hopefully you haven't paid in full.  Go find a Krown store

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Corrosion Free's Rustproofing Experiences
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2012, 08:53:56 pm »
Nice to see Barrie pop up in a thread again. :)
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons