Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2016 Lexus IS 350 F Sport AWD vs Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD  (Read 25313 times)

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
Just went to the Infinity web site and the 300 HP version is not there to build and price? Only the 2.0 and the 400.

A couple of things to clarify. First, I don't think this powertrain is shared with MB. That's only the 4 cylinder 2.0 turbo. Second, the numb steering is not a requirement, its in the optional technology package costing $ 3,800-. The normal steering seemed quite good to me in last year's Q50. The technology package has a number of things in addition to the Direct Adaptive Steering that I also don't want anyway, like lane departure warning, intelligent cruise control, lane departure prevention with active lane control and an "Eco Pedal"  :rofl2:

Works for me - three options, 208 2.0, 300 3.0t, 400 3.0t

I prefer the back-end of the Lexus, but otherwise the Infiniti wins the styling hands down. Same with the interior.

What the hell is going on with the airbag cover on the Lexus steering wheel?

My "lifestyle choices" mean I'll not own something like this for a long time. Car-seats would be a squeeze in that back seat, no hatch for my dog. Also children + dog = no money.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
Just went to the Infinity web site and the 300 HP version is not there to build and price? Only the 2.0 and the 400.

A couple of things to clarify. First, I don't think this powertrain is shared with MB. That's only the 4 cylinder 2.0 turbo. Second, the numb steering is not a requirement, its in the optional technology package costing $ 3,800-. The normal steering seemed quite good to me in last year's Q50. The technology package has a number of things in addition to the Direct Adaptive Steering that I also don't want anyway, like lane departure warning, intelligent cruise control, lane departure prevention with active lane control and an "Eco Pedal"  :rofl2:

Works for me - three options, 208 2.0, 300 3.0t, 400 3.0t

I prefer the back-end of the Lexus, but otherwise the Infiniti wins the styling hands down. Same with the interior.

What the hell is going on with the airbag cover on the Lexus steering wheel?

My "lifestyle choices" mean I'll not own something like this for a long time. Car-seats would be a squeeze in that back seat, no hatch for my dog. Also children + dog = no money.

My friend has a Q50 and even with a pretty chunky front-facing car seat, there is a decent amount of room there.
I can see how Q50 could be better suited as a DD for a person who does more highway driving than canyon-carving.
If I was in a market in the segment, I'd lease a new Audi S4 whenever it gets released.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
infiniti rear ends looks too much like nissan stuff.    still can't get used to the naming scheme.  fack that.

power is nice, but powertrain shared with MB worries me.

lexus all the way for me since neither comes with manual anyway.
The VR30 engine has nothing to do with MB.  Only the 2.0t version is shared with MB.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
If leasing, I'd go German. If buying, these two are really neck and neck for me and as posited in the article, for different reasons.

I really like the Infiniti, but it has a few irritating omissions that would try my patience in terms of ownership. At least the rear seats now fold (previous gens only had a ski pass thru), but that steering numbness would :censor: me off. I drove my buddy's parents' Q50S Hybrid and really liked the car overall, but the steering was so, so numb.

Still, the Lexus is too tight inside and so I'd probably go Infiniti on this one.
I am with you on the leasing front.  And buying wise, I'm sure it would take multiple test drives to decide between the two.  On paper, the Infiniti has me mostly sold.  But multiple reviews have mentioned the lack of steering feel and handling not quite matching the performance of the power plant.

And I can also get a 340i in manual which neither of these offer.

Yup, very true.  I haven't looked, but what would a comparably equipped 340i cost in comparison to the Q50 and IS?  I'm guessing $10k or so, but that's just a guess.
But, I wouldn't buy a 340i.  Lease a BMW.  Buy an Infiniti.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Sounds like the Infinity with a better set of shocks, springs and tires would be the car to have. Yeah, 400hp, can't go wrong with that.
That may not fix the steering feel problem when equipped with DAS.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
If leasing, I'd go German. If buying, these two are really neck and neck for me and as posited in the article, for different reasons.

I really like the Infiniti, but it has a few irritating omissions that would try my patience in terms of ownership. At least the rear seats now fold (previous gens only had a ski pass thru), but that steering numbness would :censor: me off. I drove my buddy's parents' Q50S Hybrid and really liked the car overall, but the steering was so, so numb.

Still, the Lexus is too tight inside and so I'd probably go Infiniti on this one.
I am with you on the leasing front.  And buying wise, I'm sure it would take multiple test drives to decide between the two.  On paper, the Infiniti has me mostly sold.  But multiple reviews have mentioned the lack of steering feel and handling not quite matching the performance of the power plant.

Yup, very true.  I haven't looked, but what would a comparably equipped 340i cost in comparison to the Q50 and IS?  I'm guessing $10k or so, but that's just a guess.

Good point.  Precisely why I purchased my Q50. 

Regarding the DAS, it's definitely different.......no question about that.  The steering feel on my last G was certainly better in comparison.  The Q50 is my wife's car, so she doesn't know nor car about steering feel.  Overall, I've been very happy with it since we purchased it last July.  I test drove the IS prior to buying it and really a lot of things about it.  The seats were absolutely top notch.  I wasn't a fan of interior ergonomics and my wife said "Ewwww" when she saw it.  It drove fantastic though.   I still can't bring myself to buy/lease an FGC though.  I purchased one FGC brand new and it was a nightmare.  For right or wrong, I can't forget it. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)

Regarding the DAS, it's definitely different.......no question about that.  The steering feel on my last G was certainly better in comparison.  The Q50 is my wife's car, so she doesn't know nor car about steering feel.  Overall, I've been very happy with it since we purchased it last July.  I test drove the IS prior to buying it and really a lot of things about it.  The seats were absolutely top notch.  I wasn't a fan of interior ergonomics and my wife said "Ewwww" when she saw it.  It drove fantastic though.   I still can't bring myself to buy/lease an FGC though.  I purchased one FGC brand new and it was a nightmare.  For right or wrong, I can't forget it.

FGC?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend

FGC?
You're new around these parts aren't you?
Facking German Car.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline alljay

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-11
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Infiniti Q50; RIP 2007 Mazdaspeed6
I recently test drove an IS350 with the f sport3 package and it was fantastic except for the cramped interior.  I love the exterior look and like the fsport grill, but it is just too smalll for someone my size -- 6'1, 250 -- and my daughter would have hated the back seat.

I also drove the ATS 2.0 and while it was a great drive, the build quality and tiny interior were non-starters for me.  The build quality was just awful. It was a horrible interior; I hated it.

Next on my list are the Q50 and TSX.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
For poops and giggles I went over to BMW and priced out a loaded 328....at $60K. 

The Infiniti is a screaming bargain and suspension is an easy (ish) fix.

Let me give you a real world example. 2015 335i RWD, M-Sport Package, 6MT.....$54,000
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
I recently test drove an IS350 with the f sport3 package and it was fantastic except for the cramped interior.  I love the exterior look and like the fsport grill, but it is just too smalll for someone my size -- 6'1, 250 -- and my daughter would have hated the back seat.

I also drove the ATS 2.0 and while it was a great drive, the build quality and tiny interior were non-starters for me.  The build quality was just awful. It was a horrible interior; I hated it.

My thoughts exactly.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline davefonz164

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Alfa 164, BMW 325, Fiat 500, Mercury Grand M, Accord Coupe, Alfa Milano
After having worked at both Infiniti and Volvo, I was able to sample the Q50 many times and have it as a demo for a few months.

The new TBV6 corrects some of the issues I had with the previous VQ Q50, mainly terrible steering and a lacklustre engine. The car was more refined than the outgoing G37, but way more bland and less interesting to drive. This new version defintely bridges the gap.

What I can say though is that Infiniti more than any other player in the segment, offers ridiculous value and Japanese reliability, even though admittedly, 85% of customers lease and many many still go German.

It was an uphill battle to convert a Euro driver into a Japanese luxo sedan, we rarely won that sale, but for many, the image of German cars wasn't worth it, reliability and value took precedent. The IS is just way too small these days.

All that being said, I much preferred my demo S60 T6 AWD over the Q50 3.7. Scandinavian cars are hard to beat when it comes to comfort, performance, winter ability and style. The S60 has a surprising blend of sophistication, build quality, performance and winter traction that really made it a sleeper in the segment. It also didn't require premium fuel.

The Q50 is still a great bargain and amazing deals can be had, Nissan has to work hard to move them.  If anyone in the Montreal area is looking into one, PM me.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:36:34 am by davefonz164 »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary

These two are priced well into CTS territory, which is a different kettle of fish.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey

These two are priced well into CTS territory, which is a different kettle of fish.

CT6 or bust.  Had one pacing me on the highway coming back from visiting my folks on the weekend - in that same dark green that Lebowski's Dad got.  Facking sweet ride and a proper luxury sedan.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:49:13 am by Jaeger »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary

CT6 or bust.  Had one pacing me on the highway coming back from visiting my folks on the weekend - in that same dark green that Lebowski's Dad got.  Facking sweet ride and a proper luxury sedan.

Oh yes. I really like the interior on those.

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
The 2013 Cadillac ATS has almost $2,000 lower MSRP but comparing to a similarly equipped V6, with AWD the top dollar on cars.com and cargrus is $29K.  Considering the Cadillac sold for thousands less than MSRP it looks like the Cadillac ATS has held its value better than the Lexus IS.

Offline davefonz164

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Alfa 164, BMW 325, Fiat 500, Mercury Grand M, Accord Coupe, Alfa Milano

A neighbour of mine is a Caddy sales rep and was driving a CTS-V for a few months and now a black CT6 TT, what a nice and distinguished sedan.

Offline alljay

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-11
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Infiniti Q50; RIP 2007 Mazdaspeed6

The CTS is too large and too "muscle car" for me.  Not my cuppa... I'm sure it is much nicer than the ATS, but that was the only caddy of interest to me.

The Q50 and TSX are also physically larger cars than the IS, but seem, somehow, more interesting to me. 

In any event, I'm sure my wife will win out and it will be an suv in the end... I already know that when my speed6 goes, it will be the last manual I own.  :(

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Actually I would take my time and try to find one of these unicorns with a 6 spd manual, LSA>turbo V6  ;D

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Actually I would take my time and try to find one of these unicorns with a 6 spd manual, LSA>turbo V6  ;D

I'm with you. I check AutoTrader for them once in a while but have never seen one for sale in Canada.