Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2313709 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #3880 on: May 02, 2016, 09:56:15 pm »
I've never understood the whole school zone thing. When school is starting/letting out, then 30 km/h is way too fast. When there are kids everywhere, and stopped cars (usually in no-stopping zones  ::) ), I'll crawl through there at 15-20 km/h.

But for the other 90% of the day, when there isn't a kid in sight (they're all in school, duh), 30 km/h is ridiculously slow. Especially when the school zones are often on a wide-open, empty stretch of road with excellent sight lines. If there were a kid around, you could clearly see him from 100 yards away and would have to really try to hit him.

Then you leave the school zone and get into the residential neighborhood where the limit is 50 km/h. WTF? There the streets are narrower, are crowded with parked cars, and front lawns have trees and bushes for kids to hide behind. Doing the speed limit, there's no way you could stop in time if a kid ran out chasing a ball or whatever.

It just seems ridiculous to me, so I'll often go through the school zone at 45 km/h, then slow down to 35 km/h or so once out of the school zone and into the residential area (where the limit is 50 km/h.) But of course I'm always watching for the photo radar van. :)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: May 02, 2016, 10:43:10 pm »
I've never understood the whole school zone thing. When school is starting/letting out, then 30 km/h is way too fast. When there are kids everywhere, and stopped cars (usually in no-stopping zones  ::) ), I'll crawl through there at 15-20 km/h.

But for the other 90% of the day, when there isn't a kid in sight (they're all in school, duh), 30 km/h is ridiculously slow. Especially when the school zones are often on a wide-open, empty stretch of road with excellent sight lines. If there were a kid around, you could clearly see him from 100 yards away and would have to really try to hit him.

Then you leave the school zone and get into the residential neighborhood where the limit is 50 km/h. WTF? There the streets are narrower, are crowded with parked cars, and front lawns have trees and bushes for kids to hide behind. Doing the speed limit, there's no way you could stop in time if a kid ran out chasing a ball or whatever.

It just seems ridiculous to me, so I'll often go through the school zone at 45 km/h, then slow down to 35 km/h or so once out of the school zone and into the residential area (where the limit is 50 km/h.) But of course I'm always watching for the photo radar van. :)

But WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN (and uh our city revenues)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3882 on: May 03, 2016, 12:08:20 am »
For decades Edmonton had no school zones.  They fenced all the school yards to keep kids from running into the street during recess/lunch periods - and it worked well.

With new school construction they decided that those fences were too expensive, so they returned to school zones.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: May 03, 2016, 12:49:01 am »
Yeah, school/playground zone by my house is completely surrounded by a 4' chain-link fence. Speed limit is still 30 km/h.

I suppose it's possible that a pole-vaulting six-year-old could come flying out into traffic.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: May 03, 2016, 12:51:18 am »
Yeah, school/playground zone by my house is completely surrounded by a 4' chain-link fence. Speed limit is still 30 km/h.

I suppose it's possible that a pole-vaulting six-year-old could come flying out into traffic.

If I ran a school I'd want a fence for nothing more than preventing wayward balls and toys from ending up in the street.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3885 on: May 03, 2016, 06:32:27 am »

There was a time a long time ago,
when kids use to play outside  :o
they would go to the schools to do that

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3886 on: May 03, 2016, 06:40:49 am »
Start YOUTHENASIA EARLY.................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3887 on: May 03, 2016, 10:32:47 am »
Damn it!  Got a $290 photo radar ticket in the mail.  Doing 47 km/h in a 30 km/h school zone.  One of those zone's where it's only applicable between set times.  Sigh, this was the last thing I needed going into an expensive summer season.  Plus those school zones are so easy to miss.

Only scum of the earth speed in school zones.   Enjoy your ticket.  ;D

How are they easy to miss?  Hint: They're usually beside a school.

There's been a real problem with inconsistent or non-existent signage near Winnipeg school zones.

Fair enough, and I'm mostly just needling GBA.

But in general, unless we're talking about a very central (likely old) school on a major urban road, I don't understand why anyone is doing even close to 50 km/h near residential schools. 

In fact I think the limit of 50 km/h is dangerous is most residential areas.   Speed limits should be 40 km/h in all residential areas, 50 in other urban streets  (60 on more "thru routes") and then 100 on country roads and 120 on highway.   More like Europe.  It makes no sense how the difference in speed limit in front of my driveway and on the 401 is only 50 km/h.   Our speed laws are stupid and not targeted at truly dangerous situations.

Thanks a lot, ya dick!!  ;) :P

In all seriousness, I'm not making excuses, BUT, the reason I missed it is because my daughter was screaming about something.  I'm not sure if you've got kids, but screaming kids in a car when you're the only adult can be very distracting.  I missed the sign, plain and simple.  What didn't help is that it was 5:00, and the school and adjoining playground was devoid of kids. 

What's more, the road I was on wasn't a residential road, but rather a collector road, one step down from a regional arterial road.  Again, no excuses.  I should have seen the sign (especially because I regularly drive that route, and the signs are big, bright and fluorescent yellow).  But I didn't.  I missed it, and now will have to pay the price.

FWIW, I haven't had a speeding ticket or traffic infraction since 2008, so I've been pretty good at obeying traffic laws and keeping my speed down.  As a rule, I generally drive the speed limit and don't do anything stupid in my car.  This time I just had a momentary lapse in judgement. 

Well,  I'll probably go down and plead guilty with an excuse and try to get the amount lowered.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:38:58 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: May 03, 2016, 10:40:57 am »
^^ Yes, go do that if you have the time. Last time, I went down to the court house with two photo radar tickets (wife was driving, but car is in my name) and got a freebie on one and saved $40 on the other. Paid $50 instead of the original $180.

And, in my experience, you don't even need an excuse or an explanation. Just show up and they'll give you a break to get you out the door. I think the courts are as sick of being caught up in this revenue generation scam as the rest of us. I've never even been told to "Slow down," or "Be careful," just "How's fifty bucks off sound" and "Okay, NEXT!"
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:54:14 am by HeliDriver »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: May 03, 2016, 11:28:28 am »
Damn it!  Got a $290 photo radar ticket in the mail.  Doing 47 km/h in a 30 km/h school zone.  One of those zone's where it's only applicable between set times.  Sigh, this was the last thing I needed going into an expensive summer season.  Plus those school zones are so easy to miss.

Only scum of the earth speed in school zones.   Enjoy your ticket.  ;D

How are they easy to miss?  Hint: They're usually beside a school.

There's been a real problem with inconsistent or non-existent signage near Winnipeg school zones.

Fair enough, and I'm mostly just needling GBA.

But in general, unless we're talking about a very central (likely old) school on a major urban road, I don't understand why anyone is doing even close to 50 km/h near residential schools. 

In fact I think the limit of 50 km/h is dangerous is most residential areas.   Speed limits should be 40 km/h in all residential areas, 50 in other urban streets  (60 on more "thru routes") and then 100 on country roads and 120 on highway.   More like Europe.  It makes no sense how the difference in speed limit in front of my driveway and on the 401 is only 50 km/h.   Our speed laws are stupid and not targeted at truly dangerous situations.

Thanks a lot, ya dick!!  ;) :P

In all seriousness, I'm not making excuses, BUT, the reason I missed it is because my daughter was screaming about something.  I'm not sure if you've got kids, but screaming kids in a car when you're the only driver can be very distracting. 
See kids are worst than cell phones for distraction  :rofl2:

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +15/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Lexus RX330, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #3890 on: May 03, 2016, 02:20:40 pm »
Realtor lady selling my next-door neighbour's house came over to chat me up while I was waxing my car.  Her parting comment was, "Nice car.  Is it your son's?" 

That just made me feel...

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:23:27 pm by kings10 »
"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret." - The Dish

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: May 03, 2016, 03:53:25 pm »
Realtor lady selling my next-door neighbour's house came over to chat me up while I was waxing my car.  Her parting comment was, "Nice car.  Is it your son's?" 

That just made me feel...

The mustang ?
It is either kids or really old farts that drive them
So the bright side you do not look like an old fart  :rofl2:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3892 on: May 03, 2016, 05:02:58 pm »
The missus is never driving in active school zones.  She's in the school!  One day, she had a doctor's appointment, and completely forgot about the speed zone.

Presto, an RCMP officer is standing in the road.  First thing that surprised her was how aggressive and antagonistic he was.  He as one of our newer younger officers that has the "about to draw my gun" swagger.  She's not used to that.  Next thing was the 2x fine for the ticket!

I decided to take the ticket to court as it was pretty expensive.  I met with the JP prior to a trial date and I told him the real reason why she was speeding (and 50 in the 30 zone FFS, wasn't even 1km/h over for non-school times) and hoped for at least a few bucks off.  He looked at me and said "I could see how she could completely forget about the school zones, and as a teacher, she could use a break."  He quashed it.

Living right by a school, I'm not that concerned with speeding.  People seem to go pretty slow when there's kids around. What drives me nuts is the people parking in the crosswalk, doing u-turns in the middle of the street, darting out between parked cars jaywalking with their kids, and all THAT crap - actual dangerous stuff.  I have complained on occasion, and what does the city do?  They send a PHOTO RADAR VAN.  FFS.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #3893 on: May 03, 2016, 07:29:16 pm »
Thoughts and prayers for the residents of Fort McMurray.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #3894 on: May 03, 2016, 08:16:24 pm »
It is just sickening to see what is happening. :'(
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3895 on: May 03, 2016, 08:19:13 pm »
All the friends I have up there are safe. Its a tragedy man

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: May 03, 2016, 08:28:07 pm »
^^You're talking about the wildfires?

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3897 on: May 03, 2016, 08:35:25 pm »
Yeah man. People waited way too long

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #3898 on: May 03, 2016, 08:39:15 pm »
Yeah, those fires look like hell in the news videos.  I hope they get some rain soon.  It's been really dry here as well, but finally got some rain today and more coming later this week.

I once watched water bombers attacking a forest fire not far from here many years ago.  The planes were the old WW2 Avengers and they would swoop down as close to the flames as possible while dumping their load.  It was fascinating to watch and to hear!  The sound of the Avengers was amazing in itself.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:42:02 pm by KDS2K »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: May 03, 2016, 08:41:10 pm »
Yeah man. People waited way too long

How come they waited so long?