Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Honda Accord EX-L  (Read 6579 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Honda Accord EX-L
« on: April 19, 2012, 04:05:29 am »

The Accord is still a serious player in the mid-size sedan segment, but is starting to show its age.

Read More...

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Honda Accord EX-L
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:58:44 am »
Still an excellent car even though it's due for a redesign.  The 4 cyl version especially seems to get high praise as shown in a recent C&D comparo where it beat out all but the Passat in its class. 

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 11:16:10 am »
Editor and author, please re-read the review (hint: it's hardly a review). There is not much value in listing features as the Honda website does a better job. The only real review was done by your wife (please thank her) in the last paragraph. I was optimist that we were going going to read comment about how the Accord stacks up against it's segment peers but alas, the only comparison was with the TSX which is not even a segment competitor!

Come on.

Hi Northernridge,

Welcome to the site.  Sorry you did not like the review.  What details/information would you like to know about the accord not included in the article?  I may be able to give you some more insight into the vehicle.  I gave impressions on driving position, seating feel, stereo sound, rear seat comfort, trunk space, observed fuel economy, engine response, engine feel, engine noise, transmission response, ride comfort and minor handling abilities.  I have yet to drive many of its class competitors so I did not comment on them in detail.  As well, we do not perform instrument testing at Autos.ca so I could not have added any details on performance.

Thank you for the feedback, always welcome.

-Mike

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 11:29:51 am »
Recently in a Honda Dealership the Accord has definitely gotten big.

When comparing the Accord 4cyl 9.0/5.8/7.5 to - 6cyl 10.3/6.5/8.6. per 100 km. The variance is not huge especially if doing mostly highway. I would lean towards the 6 considering the size of the Accord now.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 11:34:35 am »
Editor and author, please re-read the review (hint: it's hardly a review). There is not much value in listing features as the Honda website does a better job. The only real review was done by your wife (please thank her) in the last paragraph. I was optimist that we were going going to read comment about how the Accord stacks up against it's segment peers but alas, the only comparison was with the TSX which is not even a segment competitor!

Come on.

Hi Northernridge,

Welcome to the site.  Sorry you did not like the review.  What details/information would you like to know about the accord not included in the article?  I may be able to give you some more insight into the vehicle. I gave impressions on driving position, seating feel, stereo sound, rear seat comfort, trunk space, observed fuel economy, engine response, engine feel, engine noise, transmission response, ride comfort and minor handling abilities.  I have yet to drive many of its class competitors so I did not comment on them in detail.  As well, we do not perform instrument testing at Autos.ca so I could not have added any details on performance.

Thank you for the feedback, always welcome.

-Mike

Yeah but all of that is far less informative than your wife saying the car was easy to drive.  :rofl2:

Out of curiosity, what other segment competitors have you driven?

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 12:15:54 pm »
"It is a simple car to drive and perfect for those who are not “drivers” but need a good-sized family vehicle."

If this is the Accord's raison d'etre, why would buyers choose it over the Camry?  I thought that the Accord was always geared towards those drivers who wanted at least a little bit of driving pleasure (similar to an Altima or Mazda6), as compared to a Camry/Malibu.  Is this no longer the case?

I was tempted by the previous generation Accord (especially the coupe) when I bought in 2003, but this new generation just seems way too big.  On the bright side - at least they still offer a manual!

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 12:19:39 pm »
"It is a simple car to drive and perfect for those who are not “drivers” but need a good-sized family vehicle."

If this is the Accord's raison d'etre, why would buyers choose it over the Camry?  I thought that the Accord was always geared towards those drivers who wanted at least a little bit of driving pleasure (similar to an Altima or Mazda6), as compared to a Camry/Malibu.  Is this no longer the case?

I was tempted by the previous generation Accord (especially the coupe) when I bought in 2003, but this new generation just seems way too big.  On the bright side - at least they still offer a manual!

Compared to limit Accord history (two 95's and a 2002) I would say yes, this is no longer the case.  the coupes on the other hand.....that could be a whole different story.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 12:58:26 pm »
I thought that the Accord was always geared towards those drivers who wanted at least a little bit of driving pleasure (similar to an Altima or Mazda6), as compared to a Camry/Malibu.  Is this no longer the case?

That's still the reputation, but it is no longer the reality.  Certainly not with this generation, and arguably not with the previous gen, either.  Whenever I read comments in mags about the Accord being the "driver's" choice among midsize sedans, I wonder a) what they have been smoking, b) if they have ever actually driven the Accord and c) if they have driven anything else in the segment.  I probably have more seat time in the current gen Accord than any other midsizer save the Altima and Sonata.  It's a good car in every respect, but a standout in none.  Don't even get me started on the whole "10 Best" thing.

Jaeger

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 01:13:48 pm »

...but that manual is only available on the base 177hp sedan.  Worst still: rumour is that the next-gen Accord, coming this Fall, is CVT-only.

When we were shopping for our 2nd car in 2008, the Accord was the only car in which my petite wife was perfectly at ease.  With my preference for a compact, I missed what might have been my last chance at a new manual Accord  :( ... and I would have gone for the 190 hp EX trim with sunroof, only slushboxed these days.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 03:24:36 pm »

...but that manual is only available on the base 177hp sedan.  Worst still: rumour is that the next-gen Accord, coming this Fall, is CVT-only.

When we were shopping for our 2nd car in 2008, the Accord was the only car in which my petite wife was perfectly at ease.  With my preference for a compact, I missed what might have been my last chance at a new manual Accord  :( ... and I would have gone for the 190 hp EX trim with sunroof, only slushboxed these days.

I wonder how many manual Accords are sold in Canada a year? I'd wager less than the number of fingers on my hands. If gearheads want manual transmissions in family sedans to remain, they'd best get out and buy one. That is the best way to keep manual transmissions around.

I have had a many Altima rentals over the past few years and I have never had an issue with the CVT. Works fine for me and I would expect 99% of drivers, who never move the selector past "D" anyhow.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 03:45:43 pm »
I know someone in Mission, BC who owns a 2008 manual EX-L. A very nice vehicle indeed.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 11:13:13 pm »

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2012-honda-accord-ex-l-page-6

Here's what guys who drove it and competition at the same time thought. 

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 03:11:39 pm »

I've been a subscriber to C&D for many years now, but when I read that article I took it with a hypertension-inducing side of salt.  I'm not saying C&D are bought off by Honda (maybe, maybe not - their recent Civic reviews have been pretty harsh).  But they've had the Accord on their 10 best list for so long, I think they are so reluctant to admit that Honda may have strayed from their original successful formula with the Accord.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 03:20:13 pm »

I've been a subscriber to C&D for many years now, but when I read that article I took it with a hypertension-inducing side of salt.  I'm not saying C&D are bought off by Honda (maybe, maybe not - their recent Civic reviews have been pretty harsh).  But they've had the Accord on their 10 best list for so long, I think they are so reluctant to admit that Honda may have strayed from their original successful formula with the Accord.

^^^ Agree completely.

Jaeger

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 06:13:05 pm »
I don't mind the current Accord, though I think it has gotten far too big and moved away from what made it special a long time ago. The one thing that drives me crazy about the current model is the taillight design. It has a chromed divider that zigzags up and down and looks almost random. Can't stand it. I wonder what the designer was thinking?
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 04:56:56 am »
I look for quality of design and manufacture, good driving feel, and superior customer care when researching a purchase.

My first resource is the owners' forums. What are the folks who bought them saying? Are the cars meeting their expectations? What, if anything, has gone wrong? Did the dealer and manufacturer accord them a quantum of respect? Were the issues satisfactorily resolved? Were the resolutions timely and cost-effective? Owners have been reporting worsening Honda quality and customer care for years.

I pour over professional used car reviews. How well a manufacturer's previous offerings stood up in owners' hands is a good predictor of future satisfaction. Chris Chase's excellent used 2003- 2007 Honda Accord review confirms it is not as reliable as its predecessor. Reported issues include:

1. The five-speed automatic transmission has a too-small bearing that can overheat and cause catastrophic transmission failure.
2. The automatic transmission torque converter does not always lock up at highway speed
3. The HVAC/radio display stops working.
4. The CD changers stop working and take CDs hostage.
5. A grunting or grinding noise that occurs as the car is driven away after being parked overnight caused by the anti-lock brake system performing a self-check, deemed normal by Honda.
6. Prematurely warped front rotors and, in cars with rear disc brakes, rear rotors that rust.

I discount new model reviews. They are typically puff pieces about manufacturer-supplied, specially prepared, non-representative cars. Criticism is constrained. Can the 2012 Honda Accord's transmission really be "tried and true" as the reviewer claims in view of the predecessor model's serious transmission issues?

Recent Hondas have trended to steadily worsening quality. The review would gain credibility if the correspondent spoke to the manufacturer's technical representative about the remedies Honda applied to the previous model's shortcomings and published the information.

Rejecting a car brand with a dubious reputation for quality, reliability and customer satisfaction is a shopper's best defence.

http://www.autos.ca/used-car-reviews/used-vehicle-review-honda-accord-2003-2007
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:53:00 pm by Gardiner Westbound »
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline vaff3

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Accord, 2001 Acura MDX
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 10:45:32 am »
What is with the Honda seats?  It used to be a strong point of Honda.  The lumbar support in my '12 Civic is killing my back too.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 01:32:53 pm »
The Accord has dropped to an "average" reliability rating from CR. The Fusion, Camry, Altima, Mazda6, Optima, Legacy and even the Chrysler 200 ("Much better than average" WTF) all rate better.

For some reason, Car and Driver are able to find qualities in the Accord, that are pretty much impossible for me to find.

I guess the Italians do know a thing or two about reliability: :o
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 01:52:39 pm »
The Accord has dropped to an "average" reliability rating from CR. The Fusion, Camry, Altima, Mazda6, Optima, Legacy and even the Chrysler 200 ("Much better than average" WTF) all rate better.

For some reason, Car and Driver are able to find qualities in the Accord, that are pretty much impossible for me to find.

I guess the Italians do know a thing or two about reliability: :o

Did someone get fired because he trash the 200 ?
Also did not the reviews here hate the 200 also

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 02:01:55 pm »
Did someone get fired because he trash the 200 ?
Also did not the reviews here hate the 200 also

The 200 is due for replacement, but people really do like to beat up on it. With the new V6, much better interior and discount pricing, I think it makes a case for itself.