Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Chevrolet Cruze RS Sedan  (Read 17516 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Chevrolet Cruze RS Sedan
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 09:18:11 am »
Oh, no insults here Rupe...you've just garnered yourself the reputation of being the old stooge - you should've been Amish.  ;)  They hardly ever have more than 2 horsepower.  Unfortunately they only ride stuff that's "donked" out (they're the originals when it comes to BIG wheels), and dress like they follow the Johnny Cash Cult of Black.  Probably don't ride discerningly smooth, but at least they aren't going fast enough that it probably matters.  Get the wife to sew together a nice soft pillow and their buggies probably don't ride all that bad.  Plus scenery...you get to see all the scenery for longer than a fleeting second. Hmm...nah...there's nothing here that anyone would want to take a buggy ride in that long to get anywhere...but look at the sweet offerings they DO have...
You got your 2 seat sports buggy. The Nay-iata...or maybe Horsetin Martin.

4 passenger convertible, the Hayb Lincoln Town Cart. Check out the smile on little William's face. Whoo-hooo! Faster papa! (and he's even got driving gloves! How cool is he!?)

Your small economy sports buggy, the Marestang (or maybe Ca-Mare-O?)

Even a sport utility with a decent tow rating...the Equine Ox

And pickup trucks...the Hi Ho Silverado Away!

And when the youth go wild for Rummspringa (sic?), they come to town in one of these...

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 08:49:14 am by BWII »

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 09:42:21 am »
still majority of sales will be fleet sales to rental companies.

Welcome to 2005 - Chevy cobalt
Wecome to 1998 - Chevy Cavalier

the cruze is just the continuous cycle of GM and compacts.

Yup sure ignore everything reviewers say and facts like a new platform with much reduced weight without negative consequences (didn't VW do that with the Golf to much positive fanfare.....hmmm). Preconceived ideas are all that matters.

Sorry I fell for responding to troll like comments, but really.  :-X

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 10:01:16 am »
still majority of sales will be fleet sales to rental companies.

Welcome to 2005 - Chevy cobalt
Wecome to 1998 - Chevy Cavalier

the cruze is just the continuous cycle of GM and compacts.

False. The new rental queens are built by Hyundai and kia. GM has been decreasing rental sales for the last few years. And the Cruze is a very competitive product, not anywhere near Cavalier/Cobalt levels.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 10:15:11 am »
Of course Rupert wants a twist beam, solid axle, drum brakes, bench seat and column shift.....HEY, I have a great idea, hey Arthur Dent, you still got that K-car?? Its the absolute perfect candidate as Ruperts new car, all the modern technology of his youth around the time he served 4 years in front of the mast under Admiral Nelson. Tell me, was Napoleon really that short of a chap??  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 10:53:30 am »
Independent rear suspension is older technology than a twist beam.

Twist beams are simpler and keep the rear wheels vertical and better aligned...the better for even tire wear.

Twist beams take up less space and allow a larger trunk.

Read the article...it works well on this car.

Rear drum brakes last longer than disks in my experience and allow for easier hand brake construction and work fine. They are still used today.

More sidewall in a tire gives a more comfortable ride over bumps. Most folk would like that. I do anyway, so what.

What's your problem. These vehicles are what ordinary folk on a budget buy. Complexity is not progress if not needed or not better...or not even noticed.  Your not going to the race track here.

Anyway, the rabid space taking nonsense trolling is troubling and un-called for. I don't want to be the brunt of that or the reason for it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:55:47 am by Rupert »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 10:57:02 am »
You are on every article rambling on about how every car should be built like a mid 80s Chrysler K car and then wonder why you get flak...........drum brakes had their heyday, twist beams had their heyday, that day was long ago. Its like wondering why you can't go to best buy and get a 486SX computer.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 11:02:27 am »
BWII, you just hit that post right out the park!!!!

Nicely played.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Robin2

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Subaru WRX, 2011 Subaru WRX sedan, 1999 Subaru Impreza RS, 1992 Mazda 323
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 11:49:52 am »
GM is very proud of 2015 cruze:

Chevrolet Cruze Named 2014 Fleet Car of the Year
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2014/Nov/1124-fleet-coy.html

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 12:04:38 pm »
Twist beams are simpler and keep the rear wheels vertical and better aligned...the better for even tire wear.

Please explain how this keeps the wheels/tires better aligned  and even tire wear than any other design.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 12:06:23 pm »
#28   To be replaced by equipment not as good or marginally better but space robbing and not needed, or reduced lifespan, and older technology. Valid points all in the modest vehicles that are the venue of most. When it comes to rambling...well...I am surprised that there is enough HP here to interest you...or laid down burned rubber. So...a counterpoint to that then. It might have an audience.

#29   Well I suppose a simpler life. They bother no-one and will be around when we are gone. I don't know about any park but it's a shame that they have to be associated with something negative in your mind...and applauded by others.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 12:09:23 pm by Rupert »

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2016, 12:28:17 pm »
Don't knock the 'K' car...it's still pretty well up to date mechanically with todays offerings...give or take a few VVTs and view screens. It made possible the vehicles that are made today that you salivate over, having saved the company. Hmmm.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 12:30:19 pm by Rupert »

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2016, 12:31:30 pm »

Please explain how this keeps the wheels/tires better aligned  and even tire wear than any other design.

I can offer some limited insight here: A relative had a brand new Ford Expedition, by 44,000km the rear tires were cupped and worn very uneven. Ford found nothing wrong with the alignment, shocks, or suspension so a new set of higher end tires were installed on all four corners. Same result 50k later, fronts were still in great shape, the reason? Whenever the Expy was loaded or towing (often in their case) the camber was changed  from the independent rear. They had a set of load leveling airbags installed and the truck never had that issue again. I'd guess in a small car it wouldn't take much weight to affect the camber of the suspension and wear tires quicker, while a twist beam maintains camber no matter the load.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2016, 12:32:53 pm »
GM is very proud of 2015 cruze:

Chevrolet Cruze Named 2014 Fleet Car of the Year
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2014/Nov/1124-fleet-coy.html

So it won an award and was a best seller globally, proof that its a great car, even in the first generation.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2016, 12:37:39 pm »
the 'K' car...it's still pretty well up to date mechanically with todays offerings...give or take a few VVTs and view screens.

:rofl: :laugh: :surrend:

OMG don't do that while I'm drinking coffee! Keyboards don't like the spew! Best laugh I've had in a week!

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2016, 01:32:36 pm »
Explain your mirth. So that we will all know.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 01:55:09 pm by Rupert »

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2016, 01:48:01 pm »
#34. Exactly. I have towed a trailer for probably 20,000/30,000km behind a twist beam Grand Caravan and experienced no un-even wear at all. In fact still have the same tires on at 55,000km and 9 years almost.
   My sons 05/6 Mazda 3 experienced major tapered wear and cupping also...no trailering.  The 3 he has now though shows even wear so it does not seem to be an issue at this point.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2016, 01:57:45 pm »
Explain you mirth. So that we will know.

If you don't know the reason already, then you never will. I'm sure others get it immediately. However to yourself, if you say it, henceforth it must be true so you should be content within yourself..... Or something like that.  ;D ??? 

Anyway for everyone's amusement, here's a guy selling a K car. Its an old ad, but very well done, creatively. I have to hand it to him! Give 'em a call, it might be still available. Oh and it kinda explains why I burst out laughing. :rofl2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hBb642NSyc

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2016, 02:25:36 pm »
   You know nothing about the 'K' car then. Nothing at all...even that the 22hp was wrong. Well why should you...probably not born then.

The car that saved Chrysler. We had a used Dodge Aeries wagon for about 4 or 5 years and had nothing to complain about. It was a nice riding little car with a 2.2 L motor(not 22hp). Transported my family on many trips to the east coast without incident.

Can't think of vehicles around back then to compare with.

What's your point.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2016, 02:33:21 pm »
I hope Rupert's neighbours fix their chimney flue soon.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2016, 02:33:46 pm »
   You know nothing about the 'K' car then. Nothing at all...even that the 22hp was wrong. Well why should you...probably not born then.

The car that saved Chrysler. We had a used Dodge Aeries wagon for about 4 or 5 years and had nothing to complain about. It was a nice riding little car with a 2.2 L motor(not 22hp). Transported my family on many trips to the east coast without incident.

Can't think of vehicles around back then to compare with.

What's your point.

Sheesh....the ad was comedy, including obvious understatement. Wasn't that obvious? And I didn't do the "ad". You asked for an explanation, I gave it to you. It has nothing to do with comparing against cars that existed back then. It has to do with your post declaring nothing has changed since in comparison.

To clarify, I owned a Plymouth Horizon from new, so I'm older than dirt.  :P  On first seeing it, a co worker said, " look at that, a lunch pail without a handle!  :'( Things fell off, shifter got hung up between gears and other things I long since forgot. Sold it in less than a year.