Author Topic: The Monday Rant: I Can't See Clearly Now  (Read 8738 times)

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
Re: The Monday Rant: I Can't See Clearly Now
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 02:46:14 pm »
I'll add my vote agreeing with the writer.  There are, however, two significant other problems.

To elaborate on what northernridge said about steeply raked windshields, the problem with them is twofold.  One is that the steeper the angle, you're looking through more grime or rain on the inside and outside of the windshield.  Yes, I know you should keep them clean, new wipers etc., but there will always be some stuff on part or all of the glass.

Second, the steeper the windshield the more it reflects the top of the dashboard.  You don't really notice the eyestrain this causes until you drive something with a more upright windshield.  There's no getting around the physics of refraction and reflection.

The other significant problem along these lines is the current eyewear fashion of wide temples on eyeglasses.  They eliminate peripheral vision. It's hard to believe, for instance, that cyclists in Vancouver are prohibited from using music systems, and window tints are controlled, but it's perfectly legal to use the roads while walking, cycling or driving wearing this utterly stupid fashion.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 02:48:06 pm by X-Traction »
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline roundupready

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 03:23:17 pm »
Didn't Volvo try to put holes in the A-pillers once to solve that problem?
---------------------------
2013 328 xDrive
2010 Legacy 3.6R LTD
2005 Legacy GT 5EAT Stage 2

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 03:33:43 pm »
Didn't Volvo try to put holes in the A-pillers once to solve that problem?

Yup, only in a concept car though.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 03:34:59 pm »
Did they call them A-HOLES............................ :-\
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 03:40:50 pm »
The A pillars in the Corolla are quite large thanks to the curtain bags, and for the first few times I drove it, I found them quite intrusive.  Now I'm used to them.  But, hopping in one of other (many!) cars highlights to me how much thinner non-airbag pillars are.

Everything about the Miata feels "dainty" compared to new cars.  The tiny pillars (only A!), the slim doors, the door handles, the mirrors, pretty much every bit of the car.  Driving it feels like someone dropped a reliable fuel injected driveline and great suspension into a 1960's roadster.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 03:51:23 pm »
Second, the steeper the windshield the more it reflects the top of the dashboard.

The other significant problem along these lines is the current eyewear fashion of wide temples on eyeglasses.  They eliminate peripheral vision. It's hard to believe, for instance, that cyclists in Vancouver are prohibited from using music systems, and window tints are controlled, but it's perfectly legal to use the roads while walking, cycling or driving wearing this utterly stupid fashion.

As to reflection - Subaru went through great lengths to minimize glare on the new Forester when they extended the windshield forward - details like this are why I am so Fozzie-crazed.

As to periphery-robbing eyewear, +1.  Thank you for pointing it out - getting the word out one site at a time!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 03:59:25 pm »
Forward and side visibility in the CrossTrek is pretty good. One of the first things I noticed while underway. Rear visibility isn't wonderful.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 05:26:27 pm »
My '70 Mercedes is like sitting in a fish bowel compared to the 2 or Caravan with all that glass and thin pillars.

Ewww, a fish bowel, I don't want to go there....
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 09:50:17 pm »
Did they call them A-HOLES............................ :-\

Best one in about 6 years Saff.

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 05:46:28 am »
First things first - the author was driving a Mazda 2 (the green paint and dashboard gave it away).  Simon, thank you so much for this rant-review, I am trying to lobby for this kind of change myself.

- Now for the rant -

This has to be expanded - it's not just about A-pillars...but especially in Kia/Hyundai models, the C and D pillars are huge too.  Outward rear-visibility is TERRIBLE and reliance on backup cameras is not a solution (because then people don't actually look behind before backing up).  Thank you, Toyota Volvo, and Honda (and any others), for your Cross-traffic Alerts.

The Fiat 500 needs to be banned.  That thick B pillar positioned right beside the driver makes it impossible to check your blind spot...the number of times I've had to honk and swerve on the 401 from Windsor to Toronto because of those effing Fiat's is beyond coincidence.  God I hate that car.

I don't think outward visibility in general is very important to manufacturers anymore.

how wrong you are, I'm glad to report - one of the Subaru Forester's strongest selling features is actually its huge greenhouse, low belt line, and ability to see a 1 metre high child anywhere around the car.  Phenomenal concern for pedestrian safety - and Subaru has also started lowering side-mirrors to the doors and adding in real front 3/4 windows (unlike Kia's minuscule excuse).

Until our cars drive themselves, the driver needs to be able to see the road and his/her surroundings.  That includes maintaining good wiper blades, using washer fluid, clearing snow off the ENTIRE car (not just using the wipers) when covered, and as a nice option, a water-repellent applied to side windows.

For those of you that disagree with the author, why do you hate your children?  (sorry, but need to quote the Simpson's cry for "won't someone please think of the children" had to be included).  Then again, if you hate your neighbour's children...

Agree, lots of good points there.

Online Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 12:17:21 pm »
InsideLine (well, what they are now) posted a similar picture, but taken from inside the driver's side of their long-term Buick Grand National - thin A-pillar = clear view 3/4 front.

My Sentra's A-pillar (brand trend here?) can hide a complete car at some intersections, depending on angle, stop line, etc.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 02:36:15 pm »
It really depends on the car, there are some which are difficult to see out of (2013 Santa Fe) and others which aren't (Honda Fit). As a whole, it seems the focus of the industry is on passive safety, not active. Too-thick A-pillars would qualify as an active safety item in my mind - allowing you to avoid the collision before it happens - whereas manufacturers are simply stuffing in more airbags and traction control systems for WHEN you crash. One trend I'm seeing quite obviously is electronic aids are taking the place of proper visiblity, with lots of new cars demonstrating rear-view cameras, blind-spot monitoring systems, lane departure alterts, etc. etc. etc.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 06:56:30 pm »
Another plus for the existing Honda Fit. Nice big greenhouse. I too agree with the writer.  I enjoy my fozzie's big windows!

One tip for anyone dealing with dashboard glare--polarized sunglasses!  Nearly eliminates reflections in the windshield.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 03:25:11 am »
Two more problems with windshield visibility.  One is the proliferation of stickers.  Oil change stickers, security stickers, car feature stickers, manufacturing/union stickers...

The other problem is mounts for phones, gps etc.  I wonder how many people complaining about thick A pillars also have phone/gps mounts stuck in their field of view?

So besides thick A pillars, we have:
- grime and rain
- refraction/reflection from raked windshields
- wide temples on eyefashion
- stickers
- gizmo mounts
- excessive tint bands
- not to mention decorations hanging from the mirror, sitting on the dash etc.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 11:16:53 am »
So besides thick A pillars, we have:
- grime and rain

This is especially true where the wiper blades don't adequately reach the maximum area of the windshield - i.e. they should go right to the A-pillar and cover as much of the left side as possible as well.

The Corolla is excellent for the A-pillar wiper reach, and the Forester's focus on visibility has excellent wipers all around.

Northernridge

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 11:34:19 am »
Maybe those squeegee kids are on to something...for an extra 25 cents they could peel off stickers.