Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Toyota RAV4 AWD Limited  (Read 11889 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Toyota RAV4 AWD Limited
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 11:57:29 am »
I spoke to a Toyota rep at the RAV4's launch event a while back when I noticed that the rear seats could not slide forward and back. The rep said that it wasn't a feature that was desired or used all that often according to the studies and surveys they conducted.
I use it ALL the time in my RX400h.  Luggage?  Winter tires?  minifridge (our office is moving, so I took my mini bar fridge home in the interim...wouldn't fit in the corolla, too tall to stand up in the RX, and trunk too shallow (normally) to slide it in sideways.  Slide seats forward a bit, which is fine given I have no passengers, and voila, fridge fits.

Man, Toyota must be asking some narrow-minded folk...

If you had no rear passengers couldn't you just fold the seats?  ???
Could have.  But this was better, IMO, because then I'm not resting a minifridge on the seatbacks (which are covered in carpet, but the trunk has a stronger rubber liner.

Offline SailFastSimon

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-56
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Only the good cars. Plus a couple of motorcycles. And a boat.
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 02:47:40 am »
Simon, nice review...you got a LOT of basic information across in a very reasonable amount of space ...  I like that you paid particular attention to the details that consumers are likely to notice over ownership, but not necessarily during a test-drive.  How thoughtful of you :)

Thanks for the kind words … it's nice to know that my efforts do occasionally land some arrows near the target!

... flooring it in "Eco" mode when you just start the car isn't nice for the engine either, but it's not disabled.

Agreed. The argument that reverting from Sport to Normal on restart is to save the engine seems unlikely. If that was really the intent, why not simply use the electronics to restrict how hard you can thrash the engine when cold, regardless of the mode?

The more likely reason is that by defaulting back to Normal mode, that's the mode the EPA will use for its fuel economy testing. Whereas if the car remained in Sport mode once you selected Sport mode, then the EPA would test in both modes and average the results, giving the car worse overall readings. See http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/06/do-all-those-driving-modes-affect-a-cars-epa-gas-mileage.html

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 08:22:41 am »

I find this to be the case for ALL CUVs...

Pretty much.  The old manual trans Forester XT was reasonably fun.  The vast majority of CUVs sold are normally aspirated four cylinder models with automatics (not many even offer DIY shifting anymore) and are pretty bland.  Utilitarian, indeed, but bland.

I even have a 5 speed manual in my Forester and it's still boring as $hit...
Compared to a 911 or a Supra, you bet.

I thought the old Forester XT with manuals were a bit of a hoot...  For a CUV/SUV.

I have to agree  ;D I also consider it more of a wagon with really good vis... At least more so than the current version!

The RAV I find pretty inoffensive either way.  I'm sure it'll get the job done.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 11:45:39 am »
You can only get so much seat space in a certain width. Want more then go bigger...or see Dr. Who.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 01:37:08 pm »
Simon, nice review...you got a LOT of basic information across in a very reasonable amount of space ...  I like that you paid particular attention to the details that consumers are likely to notice over ownership, but not necessarily during a test-drive.  How thoughtful of you :)

Thanks for the kind words … it's nice to know that my efforts do occasionally land some arrows near the target!

... flooring it in "Eco" mode when you just start the car isn't nice for the engine either, but it's not disabled.

Agreed. The argument that reverting from Sport to Normal on restart is to save the engine seems unlikely. If that was really the intent, why not simply use the electronics to restrict how hard you can thrash the engine when cold, regardless of the mode?

The more likely reason is that by defaulting back to Normal mode, that's the mode the EPA will use for its fuel economy testing. Whereas if the car remained in Sport mode once you selected Sport mode, then the EPA would test in both modes and average the results, giving the car worse overall readings. See http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/06/do-all-those-driving-modes-affect-a-cars-epa-gas-mileage.html
Silly EPA...

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 12:13:17 pm »
  They need a TRD version of the RAV4 with a turbo and a Lotus massaged suspension tuned at the Nurburgring. That should just about do it for the added excitement factor...so easy!

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 01:33:14 pm »
  They need a TRD version of the RAV4 with a turbo and a Lotus massaged suspension tuned at the Nurburgring. That should just about do it for the added excitement factor...so easy!
Lol.  And people would then complain saying that it's a CUV and not a sports car.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 01:53:33 pm »
You can only get so much seat space in a certain width. Want more then go bigger...or see Dr. Who.

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 04:45:48 pm »
The tardis isn't small by any means, but it does still offer loads of interior room for its exterior dimensions.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 09:59:40 pm »
The tardis isn't small by any means, but it does still offer loads of interior room for its exterior dimensions.
And it handles like a dream...