Author Topic: Comparison Test: Subcompact Hatchbacks  (Read 31189 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: Subcompact Hatchbacks
« on: March 12, 2013, 07:31:23 am »

Testing the spectrum of the city driver's entry-level choices, our multi-coloured queue of Dinky Toys must have looked like a line of Smarties spilling from its box. Think kindergarten field trip for auto writers.

Read More...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Comparison Test: Subcompact Hatchbacks
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 07:55:42 am »
Extraordinary job thanks to efforts of whole team!
Although I'm confused with the flip-flop between Fit and Mazda2.
Previously the very same cars were in opposite order...Change of criteria or human subjectivism?

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 08:46:37 am »
The Accent is my pick hands down, there all over the place, glad to hear there as good as they look.  The Sonic is a surprise! good on GM.  The Yaris is no surprise, seriously behind times.  Why would the Versa not be included?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 08:58:13 am »
I'm a bit surprised that the Fiesta wasn't included.  Not that I think it would win against the top, but I'm sure it would be close to the chevy.  As for the lack of Versa, I think it was due to the new hatch not available yet and the old Versa hatch wouldn't be a fair fight.  It is quite interesting how good these subcompacts are now compared to even 4 years ago.  I'm hoping that Honda is taking notes so they can make their Fit more competitive and not totally reliant on the magic seats to win them points in these comparos.  Personally I'll probably never own a sub compact as I see the compacts to be that much better and similar in price/fuel economy I'll probably always choose a bit bigger of vehicle.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 09:07:03 am »
I mostly agree with the order things came in. Pleasantly surprised at the Sonic finish, seems GM is on a roll in the eyes of the auto-journalists as of late - possibly because they got their act together and actually make good cars now instead of the piles of junk of a few years ago...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 09:11:37 am »
I'm a bit surprised that the Fiesta wasn't included.  Not that I think it would win against the top, but I'm sure it would be close to the chevy.  As for the lack of Versa, I think it was due to the new hatch not available yet and the old Versa hatch wouldn't be a fair fight.  It is quite interesting how good these subcompacts are now compared to even 4 years ago.  I'm hoping that Honda is taking notes so they can make their Fit more competitive and not totally reliant on the magic seats to win them points in these comparos.  Personally I'll probably never own a sub compact as I see the compacts to be that much better and similar in price/fuel economy I'll probably always choose a bit bigger of vehicle.

That's my thinking too on the Versa, Fiesta should do as well as the Mazda 2, but why was it omitted?

Chaos, agree, this is the new GM.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 09:19:46 am »
Good comparison guys.  I might have rated the Fit a bit higher, but I agree with pretty much all the observations made about it - both good and bad.

Hyundai best in class for NVH?  Impressive.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:30:16 am by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Allmanual

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 09:27:33 am »
Good comparison, why would anybody buy the Yaris is beyond me, it's a complete relic, a return of the 90's.  The Honda, although fun to drive is in dire need of a immediate update to bring it back to the front. For me it would be a toss up between the Fiesta and the Accent/Rio duet. Maybe the upcoming Fiesta 1.0l with a stick.  :)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 09:33:57 am »
mrs tpl is waiting for a Fit Mk III with a 6MT and maybe a bit more power than her Mk I.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 09:37:38 am »

That's my thinking too on the Versa, Fiesta should do as well as the Mazda 2, but why was it omitted?

As is often the case, it's possible the Fiesta wasn't available for testing.  I still think the Mazda2 would have done better, as one of the criteria is price, and the Mazda2 is cheaper than the Ford Fiesta.  Not sure why you are comparing the Fiesta to the Mazda2, they have no parts related whatsoever, unlike the Rio and Accent.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 09:50:29 am »

As is often the case, it's possible the Fiesta wasn't available for testing.  I still think the Mazda2 would have done better, as one of the criteria is price, and the Mazda2 is cheaper than the Ford Fiesta.  Not sure why you are comparing the Fiesta to the Mazda2, they have no parts related whatsoever, unlike the Rio and Accent.

You're right, I always view them as 1st cousins, not so true anymore, more like distant cousins.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 09:52:14 am »
Comparison should be at equal conditions for all. If Versa is out 'cause replacement is imminent, as someone suggested, why then Mazda and Fit are included? The duo is older stuff...

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 09:53:09 am »
Comparison should be at equal conditions for all. If Versa is out 'cause replacement is imminent, as someone suggested, why then Mazda and Fit are included? The duo is older stuff...

Can't argue with that.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 10:02:27 am »
mrs tpl is waiting for a Fit Mk III with a 6MT and maybe a bit more power than her Mk I.

Fit Mk III needs a 6-speed and quiter ride with some standard goodies a-la Bluetooth to be at the top again.
The Sonic (as good as it was during the test and on paper) coming out of that Daewoo plant is an automatic write-off for me. That plant failed to produce one reliable vehicle in its entire history, so I wouldn't be ready to commit my hard earned $$$ to that.

Excellent comparison and enjoyable read! And as much as I am biased towards the Fit, I agree with the placement and choice of winner. One has to give Hyundai due respect for staying the course of continuous improvement and showing the big Detroit 3 how it's done.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 10:05:05 am »

Fit Mk III needs a 6-speed and quiter ride with some standard goodies a-la Bluetooth to be at the top again.
The Sonic (as good as it was during the test and on paper) coming out of that Daewoo plant is an automatic write-off for me. That plant failed to produce one reliable vehicle in its entire history, so I wouldn't be ready to commit my hard earned $$$ to that.

Excellent comparison and enjoyable read! And as much as I am biased towards the Fit, I agree with the placement and choice of winner. One has to give Hyundai due respect for staying the course of continuous improvement and showing the big Detroit 3 how it's done.

big 3? more like everyone!, period

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 10:06:50 am »
   Where is the Sonic made. If not in NA then why the much higher price. I don't dislike the looks of it but other than a turbo engine it does not seem to have any more than most of the other entrants. Frankly I think a non-turbo is to be preferred in a contestant here where simplicity and low maintenance might be more a neccessity than just desirable. I like the Accent and, having had the previous sedan version, I have high regard for it's manufacturing quality and reliability and also durability, since I had it for 5 years and it is still doing great service in the family. After 70,000km still only minor brake servicing and engine purs like a kitten. Decently quiet on the highway for a small car.
   I had thought that the Sonic had better handling than the other cars but seemingly not, in the report. The truth will out.
   These comparison reports are a great format for prospective purchasers. Even if your car interest is not top rated overall, it may have the better rated attributes that you are interested in. Well done.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 10:12:00 am »

Agree, except the big 3 are the only ones who simply refuse to listen. Honda is upping its game (fully redone Civic after just 1 year since new model was introduced, excellent new Accord, etc.). Toyota's new Rav4 is poised to stirr some serious sh1t in the segment, the new Avalon is a-typical of Toyota, FR-S, etc. We would have to thank the Koreans for keeping the Japanese on their toes. Detroit is still drinking its own kool-aid.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 10:22:54 am »
Congrats Hyundai!

When I read the Yaris has a single giant wiper immediately scrolled back up to the photos. That is cool, in a cheapish, geeky, gotta-see-it-working kind of way.

Surprised at the spread of ranking between the Accent and Rio. I personally prefer the Rio in the subcompact segment, but respect the efficient packaging of the Fit and upcoming Versa Note.

More surprised the Mazda2 finished second. Would have pegged it 2nd or 3rd last before reading. Although Mazda seems to be de-emphasizing the 2 within the line-up and is selling far less than when introduced, I'll have to give it another look.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:29:01 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 10:24:04 am »

Agree, except the big 3 are the only ones who simply refuse to listen. Honda is upping its game (fully redone Civic after just 1 year since new model was introduced, excellent new Accord, etc.). Toyota's new Rav4 is poised to stirr some serious sh1t in the segment, the new Avalon is a-typical of Toyota, FR-S, etc. We would have to thank the Koreans for keeping the Japanese on their toes. Detroit is still drinking its own kool-aid.

Ok, now I disagree, we are talking sub-compact here.

Dont see a reference to the whole industry here.  I think Hyundai has very much shown Toyota how it's done too, Elantra vs Corolla, Accent vs Yaris.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 10:32:15 am »

Ok, now I disagree, we are talking sub-compact here.

Dont see a reference to the whole industry here.  I think Hyundai has very much shown Toyota how it's done too, Elantra vs Corolla, Accent vs Yaris.

... We would have to thank the Koreans for keeping the Japanese on their toes. Detroit is still drinking its own kool-aid.
/\
||
THERE